Bye bye BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

Being addressed by name is very nice as it really does give a personal touch – UNLESS the crew member ostentatiously checks a list of names first. This happens on CX all the time, sadly – the senior cabin crew wanders round the cabin (usually in the middle of a good bit of the film) looking down at a roll of paper and trotting out a standard greeting to all the Diamond members. Irritates the hell out of me. Yes, I *know* you are [[being told to tell me you are]] delighted to see me on board again, and that you [[are being told to tell me you]] hope I have a pleasant flight, and that if there is anything I want I should ask you for help (as if I wouldn’t anyway) – you really don’t need to say so on every trip

Conversely, though, if I ring the call bell and the crew member comes up and say, “Yes, Mr Ian, what can I do for you?”, that is great, and a good way to spend a few seconds before walking to my seat because it does seem so much more personal (and, in that context, sincere).

Incidentally, I entirely take bacrew’s comment about how hard it must be to remember all those names, so I am constantly impressed by the way that CX crew so often manage to use my name at the door as I leave the aircraft, when they no longer have a seat number to use as reference – or maybe that just shows what a pain I am constantly asking for things on board!! Lovely touch, though…

[Incidentally the preceding two posts were made while I was typing this one – interesting to see how others hold the same view and also picked CX as a comparator – clearly the fact that Cathay does this *does* get noticed and appreciated by passengers]

Danwolf
    Participant

Just messaged my BA Cabin Crew friends to get his take on this who tries to refer to people by their surname as it’s polite, and tries to memorise or use meal sheet as a reference.

Caveat: If they are worried about mispronouncing your surname, they will refer to you as ‘sir’ or ‘madam’ to avoid embarrassment.

bacrew1
    Participant

Hi Danwolf… when you say “roster”.. are you meaning the passenger list??? (the list of people sat in that cabin??)…
    The passenger list (for all cabins) isn’t handed to the CSD usually until -3min (3 mins prior to departure time and as the door is being closed!).. and during that time there is absolutely no way the crew can “study” this list… as we have to ensure all passenger bags are off the floor (including newspapers, pillows, blankets, shoes etc).. ensure everyone has a newspaper and drink, jackets hung, tv screen out for the demo, cleared in all the glasses from the pre flight drink (preferably pre push back)…
    When instructed “seats for take off” we are supposed to do that immediately… with nothing in our hands/no reading material as we are supposed to go through a silent review (emergency procedures) in our head… (so again no time to look at, yet alone memorise the passenger list/names)…… The only time we get a decent chance to look at it, is whilst filling out the meal order form (and 2 other crew in CW should be out doing the bar round at this time)

There are only 2 copies of the passenger list… One is kept with the CSd and the other is spilt up into relevant sections and then handed to that galley…. Here I’m pointing out that crew doing the bar round are unable to have the list with them, as its needed by the other crew in the galley who list the names on the meal order form….. I hope I’m making sense!?

It’s all very well comparing us to Asian carriers…. we know we aren’t as good as them… They highly invest in their product/services.. and occasionally have more crew members…

FormerlyDoS…. we NEVER get to sample any cabin of any other carrier as part of the job… unless on personal staff travel (but then again.. we’d be sat in the economy cabin)

Danwolf.. I agree it isn’t difficult to walk around with a passenger list in your hand..reading off it.. but again don’t forget its just 1 copy… for 2 aisles… Would customers prefer crew memorising the name.. or reading it off a list??

Please don’t shoot me down folks…. just telling you how it is… (and I frequently choose to work in the CW cabin πŸ˜‰

bacrew1
    Participant

“Being addressed by name is very nice as it really does give a personal touch – UNLESS the crew member ostentatiously checks a list of names first. This happens on CX all the time”

Here you go… classic example of when reading the name off a list doesn’t help/isn’t appreciated..

Thanks Ian from HKG

IanFromHKG
    Participant

bacrew – I assume you guys have a suggestion box – perhaps worthwhile suggesting that a few pennies spent on printing off some extra copies would be worthwhile, especially if they can get them to you a little earlier?! That way the bar crew could have one on top of the cart as they go round (note my comment was about *ostentatious* viewing of the list – if it is surreptitious, that’s fine!) and other copies could be available

To answer your question of 10:01 GMT, as you can probably gather I am in favour of memorising a name or viewing it surreptitiously rather than reading off a list. And to your last sentence – no fear of you being shot down! At least, not by me – I always find it incredibly refreshing and interesting to hear the perspectives of the crew (well, apart from Ymelord, I could do without hers!). I think we all tend to overlook just how much there is for our crew to do, and instead we just sit there fretting over why it is taking so bloody long to get our food/champagne/whatever! I shall be a little more patient now (smile)

VintageKrug
    Participant

The iPads, once more widely rolled out, could be used for this purpose.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Please don’t shoot me down folks…. just telling you how it is… (and I frequently choose to work in the CW cabin ;)”

We know how it is, bacrew1 and that is why many of us, who have a choice, no longer fly BA, especially when the pricing very often favours your company competitors.

It’s a tough commercial world out there and it owes none of us a living, the Asian countries are particularly terrifying in their ability to offer better service at lower price points and the west is going to have to wake up, smell the coffee and start dealing with the effects. I include my own little business in this analysis, although I’ve smelled the coffee for many years, due to business activities in Asia.

bacrew1
    Participant

HI again Ian…

To be honest with you, I think passenger lists are going to be a thing of the past soon… especially with the introduction of iPads for the CSD’s….
    We do have feedback channels…. I am one of the proactive crew who constantly feeds thing back… and unfortunately an issue such as this would be seen by the powers that be as a very minor issue (although I agree it would help.. and I have indeed suggested in the past)… I have even suggested making the meal order form 2 sheets thicker, so once the names have been copied on that… the crew doing the bar round can take a copy each.

Next time you’re in CW (especially on the 777 or the mid J main deck 747), try and see how manic it can get during boarding!?!? Its the worst part of the flight in my opinion…. WT/WTP boarding thru the cabin.. crew trying to dodge passengers with jackets/coats/drinks/papers in their hands
    . Its actually quite comical sometimes and its the only point in the flight where the crew become jugglers! πŸ˜‰ I’ve lost count the number of times I’ve accidentally been shoved out the way by boarding passengers, holding a tray of juices/champers in one hand and a jacket in the other πŸ˜‰

VK iPads are only issued to the CSD… so only 1 onboard…. plus CSD’s have to give their password to access it.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“The iPads, once more widely rolled out, could be used for this purpose.”

“perhaps worthwhile suggesting that a few pennies spent on printing off some extra copies would be worthwhile, especially if they can get them to you a little earlier?!”

This reminds me of the old joke about the USA spending a million bucks to develop a pen that wrote in space, whereas the USSR used pencils πŸ™‚

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I will do that, bacrew, although to be honest I try very hard to avoid main deck on the 747! I usually arrive either very early so I can hunker down in my seat and ignore what is going on around me, or right near the end so all the bedlam is over, so I think I normally miss all the fun and games!

It does make you wonder whether there is a better way of doing it. Personally I always check to see which door is best for me regardless of the “First/Business this door, Cattle this door” signs, and of course for the 747 upper deck it is better to use the Economy door – surprising the airlines haven’t cottoned on to telling more people about that!

bacrew1
    Participant

That’s another personal annoyance of mine…. boarding through 2 doors!! (usually form outstations)…. It’s particularly frustrating on the Mid J 747 when ground staff get First and CW passengers to board through Door 1 left, and the rest through Door 2 left…. You then get the traffic jam of WTP and CW passengers in the WTP cabin forward of the 2nd door!?!?! :S

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

The mid J configuration is ridiculous, from a passenger service perspective.

bacrew1
    Participant

“The mid J configuration is ridiculous, from a passenger service perspective”

Crew feel the same! trust me! I wouldn’t necessarily agree that it affects the service.. its more of an issue for boarding/disembarking.

Unfortunately it was the only way the seating could be configured, according to BA

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Surely part of the service is that the premium cabins get to deplane in order, F, J, W?

If F or J end up getting off after W, it is plainly ludicrous, people who pay a premium expect to hit the immigration booths before those who did not, it could make a difference of an hour or two and is simply unacceptable.

BAs view on the seating is probably correct, if the impact on premium pax is disregarded and unfortunately that sounds rather plausible.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

When the crew are good, I have no issue in being addressed by my first name, whichever cabin I am in. Breaks down the barriers and generally ensures good service.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls