Bye bye BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 111 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Mr Pedant – if further editing is required, please let me know.

In the Sheraton Hanoi, tonight, sadly no plans – unless someone feels sorry for me!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Well, I think we see above (a few posts above) a union-biased perspective which will be discounted by most people who are actually in business, rather than pretending to be.

In fact, the “posh” bit is certainly reflected in the BA F offering; you only have to look at the menus, which feature the Fougasse character to see that:

http://s1.superbrands.uk.com/files/2012/02/SWK4180-Single_Fougasse-zINzU1.jpg

If BA can emulate Ryanair by eradicating bloated, 1970s practices and paring costs back to deliver greater value to customers, then I’m all for that.

Danwolf
    Participant

@ Swissdiver: Feedback on if I see any tangible/intangible benefits/perks being a new new (never before) BA gold?

I will report back…

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“In fact, the “posh” bit is certainly reflected in the BA F offering; you only have to look at the menus, which feature the Fougasse character to see that”

That is, if they bother to load the menus.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Swissdiver

I am down to silver at the moment, until June 2013.

After that it will probably be blue.

To be honest, I have noticed little different – yep no first class check in or lounge – big deal.

Until BA offers a better value proposition, the airline is best avoided.

RichHI1
    Participant

Poster who cannot be named, these are two sides of the same coin. The old world empire days of “posh” evcentrics travelling to empire were built on a non competitive environment. To begin with there was little competition and those that flew did not need to worry about prices. After the war (ww2) came big changes with austerity and the transmutation of he empire into the commonwealth. In this competitve age the old protected Flag carriers faltered. BA was in the lead in Europe moving from a subsidized nationalized institution to a profitable commercial engerprise. The days of posh eccentrics are over. The problem that BA and other carriers face is how to appeal to the most relevant segments.
    In traveller BA is competing with LoCos so understanding their modus operandi and values is an advantage. The issue is really in Business and first class.
    BA like most of the US carriers position both products squarely at the corporate world. They offer a competent service in Business long haul and use First Class as a carrot for senior execs. In Europe i find the BA
    Offering lacking but that is true of the competition.
    With regards to what you refer to as a Union perspective, I think you confuse three things:
    There are those who resent mr Walsh and his management stlyle (and indeed there are those hold the counter position), both add little balue here.
    There are those who mourn the old days Of real first class, Concorde and the glory days which went with 9/11.
    Lastly there are those who feel the Quality Control at BA is slipping and that this is starting to affect the value proposition.
    The reality for all airlines is they need to cut costs and waste and focus
    On adding consumer value. This must be delivered by high levels of consistency and excellence in execution.
    With respect I find it a tad naive to expect any airline to get it all right all the time..

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“With respect I find it a tad naive to expect any airline to get it all right all the time.”

I agree with that, all the airlines I use are inconsistent to some degree.

Some are highly inconsistent in service/product and cheap (MS, for example)

Some are consistent in product and moderately inconsistent in service and moderately priced, (e.g. OS, GF)

Some are nearly consistent and charge higher prices (e.g. LX)

And there is BA, and EK inconsistent in product, service and expensive.

EK is currently getting away with it due to expansion and heavy government backing.

Hippocampus
    Participant

Positioning BA to play to perceived overseas stereotypes of the British may go down well in a handful of countries but it would send customers in its home market (which has always been very cool about celebrating Britishness) and many other countries running for miles.

National identity plays a part in an airline’s brand positioning but the trick is not to ram it down people’s throats to the extent that the local market finds it unreal/cringeworthy and international customers find it overbearing.

I think BA gets the balance just about right. Just as it does managing to invest in the product in a very tough global economy. Hence why it is now one of the more stronger airline groups in the world.

SimonS1
    Participant

MartynSinclair – 30/04/2012 11:11 GMT

Hooray. Some sensible, objective comments free of the agendas so often at play.

RichHI1
    Participant

Martyn hope you find somethong good to do tonight. Never been to Hanoi.
    Sounds more fun than wordsmithing a powerpoint, which is why I am on here instead of working. Talk about death by Powerpoint….

VintageKrug
    Participant

Quite right, Hippo.

BA’s ability to invest in its products in tough times will equip it well for the upturn.

I think Willie (whom I have met on a number of occasions) is a charming fellow, and very focussed on what he has to do to get the organisation where it needs to be; back as a global player in the consolidation market. I think his style is honest, and straightforward. That’s why it scares some people so much, so they run off shouting “bully” when all it is is good business.

van der Post is also vital to the success of the airline, but his remit is not to improve the experience at any cost, nice though it may be to go back to the pre-9/11 Krug and Caviar world (though BA still served Krug until at least 2003) it’s simply not credible in the current corporate environment, and would bankrupt the airline.

I see good levels of consistency, an improving product, and excellent value.

If you don’t see that, enjoy the alternatives. There’s nothing wrong with that!

RichHI1
    Participant

Hippocampus makes a valid point. The archetypical stereotype Britishness is often a construct of those who are not British but have an idealized view of what they would like to be. Whether it is those who grew up in India or Hong Kong or other parts of the ex Empire where some clinged to a long gone era or maybe those who have been fed English Tourist Board propaganda and BA Robert Morley commercials who expect Heathrow airport to be thatched and full of Beefeaters and Bobbies on Bicycles two by two.

But as the poster who cannot be named rightly observed, it is a free market and if you find alternatives you prefer, then use them.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

In 2000 it was mooted that China would become the world’s largest economy within 50 years, a few years later the period was reduced to 2040.

China overtook Japan to become the world’s 2nd largest economy in 2011. It is now forecast to become the world’s largest economy by 2020!

So what is Walsh’s strategy? Buy Iberia at a high price to give it access to Spanish speaking markets in Latin America and try to compete with LOCOs for point to point within Europe.

If the guy had waited 6 months BA would have had Iberia for half the price. Even then it wasn’t worth having as the Spanish economy is in the doldrums and will not experience any substantial recovery for years.

The only country in South America that is forecast to have significant, long term growth is Brazil – Portuguese Speaking! Why didn’t Walsh buy TAP instead of Iberia?

Iberia will be a drag on BA’s profitability for years as well as being a drain on its mediocre resources, though with some smart accounting am sure WW could cover that up.

Walsh whinged about not having slots in LHR to allow BA to develop Chinese routes yet when BMI was purchased, mainly for their 56 slot pairs and to keep the competition out of LHR, hardly a peep about developing into the fastest growing and soon to be biggest economy in the world.

Just as VirtualKrug harps on about being comforted by a Posh Nigel’s voice emanating from the virtual cockpit, similarly the Chinese have shown a passion for many things British – Even buying Rover/British Leyland along with the prestige “British” brand products that are doing huge business in Asia now. Walsh could have exploited this, however BA has not only been beaten by the mid-east carriers and Luftie, they are hardly even on the field there to compete let alone have a product to compete with.

The early adopters will secure the developing markets leaving BA/IAG targeting the remnants of South America continent which is apathetic towards them at best, and trying to compete with European LOCOs who don’t have the huge management and infrastructural costs of BA. What a brilliant strategy – so many opportunities Walsh can pass the blame onto.

It is indeed Bye Bye BA.

Danwolf
    Participant

I’m starting to think this thread has parted from its original intended subject matter…

VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed it has.

I will ask you once, please desist from using childish bastardisation of my handle; I don’t do it to you and would ask you do extend me the same courtesy.

Thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 111 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls