Business Entertaining: Shark Fin Soup

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

• Stringfellow
    Participant

Sorry to be controversial but I don’t understand this issue in terms of – it’s ok to eat that but not this !

Eating animals means killing them and frankly the idea of a humane killing is laughable, if you don’t agree go visit an official abattoir. I eat meat and see little difference between a rump steak and a lobster dropped in boiling water or a fin sliced from a shark. If you object to animal suffering in regard to meat production. become a Vegan

canucklad
    Participant

Stringfellow……………………..Bruce98 makes a valid point

A sign of a civilized society is a society that respects and treats not only its fellow human beings but also the way it treats the lesser creatures in its world.

I am a carnivore and as such enjoy a succulent steak.

And I would be hypocritical if I said I always thought about the well being of the animal before it appeared deliciously plated in front of my hungry eyes….and becoming a Vegan just isn’t on my radar.

I do however try and minimise my chances of eating animals that have been cruelly treated.

And regardless of whether it happens in the UK or the Yemen it’s still cruel..

It’s just not good Karma!

Bruce98
    Participant

Thank you, Canucklad, for your integrity.

IamSpartacus
    Participant

Stringfellow you are completely right, “humane” slaughter is a laughable concept. It is often just a marketing tool that allows consumers feel good about themselves morally. If they had real concerns they would become vegetarian.
    What is more important is the conditions in which the animal was kept during its life and the responsibility and care taken in sourcing the the animal for consumption as we have seen with our dwindiling fish stocks.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I turned vegetarian because I felt it was not necerssary to kill animals to live healthily.

It has made my travelling far more interesting, as I am now choosing a far wider range of foods and along with the creativity of chefs am being presented with a delicious range of local foods, which I previously would have ignored.

Chef Joey at the Westin in BKK, creates amazing dishes with flavours I am thankful for be given the opportunity to taste and enjoy.

Now then, back to Shark Fin soup……………… 🙁

Bruce98
    Participant

“Stringfellow you are completely right, “humane” slaughter is a laughable concept. It is often just a marketing tool that allows consumers feel good about themselves morally. If they had real concerns they would become vegetarian.”

I have rarely read such unadulterated rubbish, which barely qualifies for the high school debating society.

Grow up, please.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Though PETA themselves have participated in some contemptible activities, this video showing the extremes of animal cruelty is worth watching, although viewing it should only be done bearing in mind these are the extremes:

http://www.meat.org/

I’m not a vegetarian, nor do I approve of much of the activity which PETA does, nor would I ever become a veggie, but it is worthwhile educating yourself about some of the more cruel activities, and making an effort to shop and eat responsibly, and ensure your suppliers, be they airlines, the office catering team, or just at home are clear about how your choices can inflict suffering unnecessarily.

It’s good to hear Cathay won’t be shipping shark’s fin.

Bruce98
    Participant

“I’m not a vegetarian, nor do I approve of much of the activity which PETA does, nor would I ever become a veggie, but it is worthwhile educating yourself about some of the more cruel activities, and making an effort to shop and eat responsibly, and ensure your suppliers, be they airlines, the office catering team, or just at home are clear about how your choices can inflict suffering unnecessarily.”

Very well written.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

It is also worth understanding the different ways animals are slaughtered in line with local customs and religious practises.

In the USA for example, it is quite legal, for a pig to be slaughtered, bullet style in the head, in front of a family gathering, before being “sectionalised” and cooked.

The action of slaughter is only one part of the process. Animals should not have to suffer by seeing their ‘mates’ being killed in line and most decent processes, ensure that animals are not kept waiting “in line of sight”.

This is not the place to critisize different slaughtering methods or beliefs, but I would strongly suggest and concur with the poster who recommended a visit to the abbatoir and see / understand the processes used to kill animals including understanding the methods used by different societies and cultures.

As with all subjects there are 2 sides (and in this case the additional, animals side).

As people who travel, we can advise and inform each other of all the different practises and then come to a sensible and rational conclusion. (I hope).

Bruce98
    Participant

Martyn

To be clear, what I object to very strongly is UK supermarkets following a religious practice that does not represent the majority faith in the UK and putting animals through what I and many others consider to be hell, for apparently supply chain simplicity.

It’s nothing to do with travelling or broadening the mind; I accept Kosher and halal practices, in their place.

I don’t often agree with Vintage Krug, but I thought his post of 02/11/2012 06:39 GMT was excellently put.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Some interesting points made and it surprising how people attempt to deal with their feelings by talking about acceptable methods of animal slaughter. I have always found this interesting in the same way that certain animals are viewed as acceptable for consumption while others are not and this of course varies depending on location and culture. Speaking as an individual raised on a farm in Africa where the killing of animals was an everyday occurrence and where Western ideas of ‘animal rights’ were treated with derision. The fact is killing in nature is much more cruel than anything mankind does. I refer to my original point one either kills animals to eat them or one does not.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Another aspect is that many have never seen farming methods, or don’t really connect shrink-wrapped meat with living animals.

Growing up in the country, seeing lambs being born and eventually slaughtered, it does bring home to you the “circle of life”. But ensuring they lead comfortable lives when alive, and are slaughtered quickly, without undue suffering, doesn’t seem to me to be cruel.

Bruce98
    Participant

Once again, succinct, logical and rational, VK.

I also grew up in a countryside/farming environment.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“To be clear, what I object to very strongly is UK supermarkets following a religious practice that does not represent the majority faith in the UK and putting animals through what I and many others consider to be hell, for apparently supply chain simplicity.”

Bruce – without trying to defend or promote any slaughter process, a bolt in the brain or a knife across the throat, neither is particulaly nice to think about.

I am a firm believer that people should judge the process for them selves and also understand the process and protocols. I use the same argument for capital punishment – a non supporter of that as well.

Bruce98
    Participant

Martyn

Animals are not killed by a bolt to the brain stem. This is to render them insensible, before their throat is cut and they are bled out.

Of course it is not nice to think about, but removing the stunning process for non kosher or halal meat is just unconscionable, in my opinion.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls