British brands

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 102 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

Gets a bite from you every time, Skid 🙂

KarlMarx
    Participant

I haven’t witnessed such determined thread bumping since the days of Corporal Asti 🙂

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ KarlMarx – 07/07/2015 06:49 BST

Over the years, I have had plenty of opportunity to take grievance-wielding chippy Scotch Nationalists to task over the term “Scotch”. It is an old collective noun for the inhabitants of Scotland and predates the latter day use of the term to indicate an alcoholic beverage distilled in Scotland which should, correctly, be referred to as Scotch whisky. So, I will not be accepting any lessons from anyone on that point.

As for BCal, having lived in Crawley until going to university and having worked at LGW as my Summer job pre and during my undergrad years, I am very well acquainted with BCal’s history and sad demise. They were very good but they provided very few international services other than from LGW. I cannot recall any operating ex-EDI or PIK from my time at LGW.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ canucklad – 07/07/2015 22:27 BST

Schoolboy error Canucklad: there was ONE poll reporting a Yes lead – which had consistently over-reported the size of the Yes vote – and it was that which lead to a scramble by Cameron, Clegg and Milliband north of the border.

Nothing I have read so far indicates that they are going back at all on what they said they would offer, courtesy of the Smith Commission, to which the SNP was a party. The one utterly predictable thing was that the grievance-wielding Scotch Nats would gripe, whinge and moan about anything and everything on offer because that is simply what they are about. Perhaps you can provide specifics (as you have raised the point) on where Westminster has not honoured its pledge?

canucklad
    Participant

Afternoon AD,
    You’re right; it was one particular poll that created the panic. However the underlying trend was moving firmly towards “Yes”…. And as a result, Gordon Brown became the mouthpiece for the unionist parties. …ironically since this is a topic about brand, it was GB’s late intervention that saved GB!!

As I’m not a member of the political elite, I can only base my comments on feelings……and those feelings come about because I do rely on the media for my information……. An example of 2 articles of many……

—Labour is likely to resist calls from the SNP for a more “federal” settlement, as promised during the campaign by former Labour Prime Minister Gordon Brown
    ——–Holyrood’s devolution committee has studied the details and reached a very different conclusion. The committee’s convenor, Bruce Crawford, said the draft legislation was “not fit for purpose” and gave it five marks out of ten.

But back on topic, an article that might be of interest about abolishing the tax north of the wall….

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/transport/majority-of-mps-think-cutting-air-passenger-duty-in-scotland-would-be-unfair-to-rest-.131188907

KarlMarx
    Participant

Interesting article, thanks for posting it Canucklad.

teebee8
    Participant

Anybody spoken to the British Airways call centre in India lately ?

What an absolute disgrace !!

teebee8
    Participant

Anybody spoken to the British Airways call centre in India lately ?

What an absolute disgrace !!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ canucklad – 08/07/2015 15:00 BST

Holyrood’s devolution committee “has studied the details and reached a very different conclusion…” This committee is stuffed full of Scotch Nat grievance merchants who will NEVER find anything positive to say about Westminster. The grievance mindset is in their DNA. What else would you expect?

Back on topic and referring to the APD article, something that is never referred to by those advocating its abolition is that there is, otherwise, no taxation on travel in general and airline tickets in particular. Transportation is VAT exempt whereas topping up your charabanc is not. If the aim of a tax system is (a) to garner revenues to pay for public services and (b) to do so in as fair, equitable and efficient a fashion as possible, then why should air passengers (who tend to be those in society with higher incomes and/or wealth) be exempt from taxation whereas so many other areas of economic activity are not? Typically, the grievance merchants north of the border appear to frame their policy mainly on the basis of what will irritate those south of the border rather than what is rational and accords with their alleged “social democratic” affiliations.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

AnthonyDunn: it is nice that someone is not a total cynic “If the aim of a tax system….is to pay for public services…in as fair, equitable….fashion as possible”….Really that would be wonderful if not so totally not the aim of the tax system!…

Sorry, off topic if, today, topical

KarlMarx
    Participant

Anthony Dunn

It’s called devolved choice, a decision for the Scottish Parliament to make, in the same way that they choose to offer free university places to Scottish students and those from the EU (but not from England, Wales and NI.)

But please let’s not get into a political debate, this discussion is about the actions of private companies using a British branding, not about those of elected governments.

SimonS1
    Participant

British Sky Broadcasting confirms it has recently dropped the “British” from its name and become plain old Sky.

Asked to comment, Internet forum expert Skid Marx said “It’s good that Sky have decided not to continue this charade. Everyone knows their Premier League coverage is dominated by London teams with only the occasional trip to Manchester or even Glasgow. On this basis I agree they should drop the ‘British’ from their name and I encourage companies like BA to follow them and lighten up a bit. God Save the Queen”.

MrMichael
    Participant

Yeh, best of British…..now, “just take the f*****g picture will you”

LuganoPirate
    Participant

They even changed their mnemonic on the LSE from BSB to SKY about 9 months ago Simon. From memory, wern’t they originally SKY, merged (saved?) with another Satellite broadcaster British something, and then used the merged name?

MrMichael, I loved that one. It’s what makes him priceless and I wonder if he now does it on purpose?

SimonS1
    Participant

Yep – merged with British Satellite Broadcasting, the ‘squarial’ people.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 102 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls