bmi: Massive Security SNAFU, Login to Others’ Accounts

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Hello again,

We’ve just had a phone call from Bmi to say the website should be up and running again, as per normal.

As to the reasons why this should have happened, Bmi could not comment other than to say it was a general “technical problem”.

Bmi also said that as far as it’s aware, there should be no more problems with boarding passes showing incorrect membership information.

We will endeavour to verify this from our end, but if you do experience any more problems please let us know on here.

Many thanks

PatJordan
    Participant

The Diamond Club website is back as at Tuesday evening.

I am a Diamond Club Gold Card holder and on the rare occasions I have had to contact their personnel I found them to be very helpful, more so than other airlines.

Like many, I mourn the loss of Business Class on DUB-LHR, but needs must and who knows, maybe that policy may change in the future. I always enjoyed the servce and would love to see it return. However like all businesses, BMI have to make difficult decisions to remain viable. Let’s hope they can make it.

FlightDoctor
    Participant

Once again I haven’t been able to log into the members area today – has anyone else had issues?

Disappointing to see no mention of the log-in issue last week in the Diamond Club Newsletter sent out today – nice to have seen an apology for the inconvenience!

We’ve just spoken to Bmi again, and have been advised that the site is working, but that it is currently running slowly (between 15-20 seconds to login once you have clicked submit).

They are looking to rectify this, but in the meantime have advised members not to reclick the “Login” button, as this will retstart username and password submission and slow down the login process further. They are also looking at adding a line to this effect on the login page.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Still only working patchily this morning.

I have removed much of my personal information from the bmi site, as having been granted total access to someone else’s account, including being able to read home address and telephone numbers, book flights using miles and change login details, I have no confidence in the security of the site.

A very serious matter, and I am surprised (actually, I am not surprised) that bmi deny that the cause of this was compromised data, in violation of the DPA.

TominScotland
    Participant

The bmi Diamond Club site is still problematic. Tried to access Missing Miles claim form a few times over the past couple of days and it shows as unobtainable. I need this because Star Alliance partner miles are not showing a long time after flights – SQ in this case although is MAY not be a bmi problem….

continentalclub
    Participant

Received a moment ago by email:

“Dear continentalclub,

Over the last couple of weeks you may have noticed we’ve been experiencing some problems with the Diamond Club login on our website. To protect your data and personal details we immediately disabled the login functionality.

Diamond Club login has now been reinstated. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you and as a goodwill gesture have credited your Diamond Club account with 1,000 destinations miles.”

This message may finally explain the curious “Bonus: Campaign Flight Y1K – APO” which appeared in (apparently Silver & Gold card) members’ accounts last week.

Travellator
    Participant

No E mail but 1000 in my account same description.

excessbaggage
    Participant

Interesting – i’ve neither received the email nor the 1,000 miles. Maybe they don’t care about lowly Blue Plus members, despite the fact I’ve had the same problems logging in over the last few weeks.

continentalclub
    Participant

excessbaggage: you’re correct that it does appear that it is only Silver and Gold cardholders who have received the ex-gratia credit.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Blue Plus level was abolished last month.

So you are now loved even less… 🙁

However, they should have made up for this by giving you 3,000 status miles.

excessbaggage
    Participant

Nope – not received the 3,000 status miles either. I thought the Blue Plus tier was being phased out rather than abolished straight away. Mind you, if they’ve stopped giving free food to Blue Plus and above cardholders, then there isn’t really any benefits to this tier anymore anyway.

BT – maybe you could look into this for us?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Blue Plus was abolished almost instantly – on January 27.

There is now no free food on bmi for elite status holders of any grade, unless booked into the new Economy Plus “business” class.

Blue Plus would have therefore have been worthless, hence its elimination.

You should chase for your 3k bmi miles, though.

excessbaggage
    Participant

Is that strictly speaking true Vintage? This article says that “In addition the Blue Plus membership tier is to be phased out altogether, although existing members will retain their status until the end of the membership year”.

I’m possibly being pedantic though, as i don’t know if there are actually any other benefits of the Blue Plus tier so effectively i’m now just a Blue member anyway – for instance did Blue Plus members get extra miles over and above Blue members?

Also i’m not sure if i’m due the 3,000 miles or not – the article goes on to say that “members will only have to earn 16,000 status miles to move from Blue to Silver rather than 3,000 from Blue to Blue Plus and a further 16,000 from Blue Plus to Silver.”

I’m assuming the 3,000 status miles mentioned above would be what Bmi is giving to members to compensate for Blue Plus being abolished, but if i’m already Blue Plus, then would they need to give me the 3,000 miles?

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/bmi-drops-remaining-short-haul-business-cabins

We’ll put these queries to Bmi and let you know when we get a response.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls