bmi: Massive Security SNAFU, Login to Others’ Accounts

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

bmi is not known for the functionality of its website.

Many of its systems were “sellotape and string” as the carrier awaited a sale to Lufthansa.

Login access has been intermittent since last week (Jan 27) and for the past few days, no access has been possible at all.

Instead, users get a notice:

“Due to a technical error we are unable to log you in at the moment. We are working to fix the error and you will be able to log in soon. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.”

Apparently, many users (including me!) have logged in to find other people’s accounts displayed after inputting our own login details.

This level of incompetence is not rare at bmi, and is not a good reflection on Star Alliance as a whole.

http://www.flybmi.com

starflyer
    Participant

While I agree largely VintageKrug on this one (and it is not very often I do) I’m not sure how this reflects on Star Alliance. It’s bmi’s problem and bmi’s alone.

I recall when EI were a member of Oneworld there website was appalling and had continuous problems. I would not have seen this as a reflection on the alliance.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I would have agreed with you had this occurred last year. However, now bmi is owned by Lufthansa, this is more serious.

Aer Lingus was always on the periphery of oneworld, as bmi *was* on the periphery of star.

The bmi login has now been down for days, and while we all understand this happens from time to time, the underlying reason (that we were all getting visibility of each other’s private accounts, is most serious, beyond just an inaccessibility issue.

All this following bmi’s much berated “systems upgrade” last year, see passim on that.

VintageKrug
    Participant

System STILL down today…..

Travellator
    Participant

Yes still down I tried to book a redempion flight for my daughter to no avail ended up paying real money. Maybe this is the dreaded change over to the Lufthansa miles and more !

Bmi is not too good just now after the Flexible Economy rip off !

Flexible economy this week BHD / LHR £ 210

Club Europe same day LHR / AGP £ 176 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come back to Belfast BA !

VintageKrug
    Participant

Chaos reigns in the lounges now; this doesn’t seem just to be affecting back end systems.

Boarding passes are now not showing accurate elite status, and people who are not carrying the right Frequent Flyer card with them are being turned away from the lounges………..

TominScotland
    Participant

Certainly is frustrating! Niot knowing it was a general problem, I e-mailed in to bmi technical support four days ago and, innocently, expected a reply!! No such luck – I am still waiting. The alternative to online award booking is via the Diamond Club off-shore help line but that is an experience and a trail of discussion for another day!!

VintageKrug
    Participant

I actually find the Pune-based helpline just that – helpful.

You must do you own homework on availability using sites like expertflyer.com and the ANA tool first.

If you know the flight numbers and timings of the airlines you want, know there is availability and can speak slowly and clearly to help them along, I have always had excellent service from them.

Travellator
    Participant

Tuesday morning Diamond Club Members area still a no go area. Making sure we have our Silver cards for flights tomorrow !

RE call centre, on first using I found them pedantic however this should really be construed as graceful, polite and genuinely helpful.

When I book ( when I used to be able to that is ) redemption flights seat allocation is not possible – the call centre always allocated them immediately on phoning.

FlightDoctor
    Participant

I can’t agree more with people’s comments about the poor service bmi are providing on their website. I have Gold status with both BMI and BA and the service levels are worlds apart.

I travel domestically twice a week with BMI and I have to say the “new” flexible economy in my experience doesn’t seem to be going down well. On a trip to Manchester this week this section at the front of the aircraft was completely empty!

seanyjmuclhr
    Participant

The fact that we cannot access our online DC accounts via the bmi website is an absolute disgrace in this day and age.

More to the point, why aren’t the journalists at Business Traveller covering this story? If you go to Flyertalk, you will get a sense of the frustration that DC members are feeling. Made worse by the fact that bmi have not released a statement to its members advising them on what is going on.

Come on Tom and crew – use your press leverage and get us members some answers! Surely this is news that we want to read about?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Many users think bmi should be more open and honest about this failure.

Perhaps they might consider an update such as the one below on their website:

http://tiny.cc/mWcC2

Hello seanyjmuclhr,

Thanks for your post on the forum, we have been following this story for the past few weeks.

Initially, as you know, it appeared to be just a simple login problem. You mentioned the Flyertalk thread, and you may have noted that on the first page off it Tom appeared confirming that problem with the login, being a Bmi Diamond Club member himself.

We have contacted Bmi once again this morning and they have promised that the problem will be rectified by this afternoon.

We asked Bmi about the possibility of members seeing other members’ details but the airline could give no response to this, only that the problem lay within the Diamond Club and its e-commerce department was working to rectify the problem.

Business Traveller was told by Bmi that no-one within Diamond Club was available for comment.

We will continue to try to get an answer from Bmi on this. Bmi has said it will let us know when the login problem is fixed.

seanyjmuclhr
    Participant

Thanks guys – good to see you are aware and on bmi’s case.

I am comtemplating firing off a missive myself to the powers that be at Donnington Hall, but think the power that the press has would be better for all of us concerned.

Looking forward to seeing the website rectified, but I won’t hold my breath.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls