Best way from LCY to LHR T5

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi Becky, one smallish suitcase, borderline carry on, and one briefcase, standard size.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

MAN UP!!

Unless you have any kind of injury – take the tube/train!

edited

NTarrant
    Participant

I have to agree with Becky. Once you hired the car you have to take it back to their depot then get a bus to the terminal!

A zone6 travelcard will cost £8.60 if you go on DLR and tube and will be as quick if not quicker than driving.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

If it were a transfer at the weekend or in the middle of the day then, fine, hire a car. But an arrival at 1615 means you’re hitting the rush hour and I can’t imagine a worse drive. It’s not just the volume of traffic that’s a concern it’s the fact you must also watch out for pedestrians, bus lanes, cyclists and so on.

If you must go by road then take a taxi.

transtraxman
    Participant

London City airport by DLR to Bank (every 8-10 mins).

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/london-city-airport-timetable-information.pdf

then either:
    (A)Bank to Notting Hill Gate (Central Line)
    and
    Notting Hill Gate to Paddington (Circle/District Line – with the new trains)
    or
    (B)Bank to Oxford Circus (Central Line)
    and
    Oxford Circus to Paddington (Bakerloo Line)

then
    Paddington to LHR T5 (Heathrow Express)

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/about-heathrow-express/facts-figures

That would take about 90 mins. (at most) but you would encounter the rush hour.
    However, coach, bus, taxi or car all encounter the same blocked roads and would probably take a lot over 2 hours.
    There is no alternative to rail (light or heavy).

transtraxman
    Participant

In the near future the journey would be simpler.
    Crossrail from LCY to Paddington
    then
    Heathrow Express to LHR T5.

This “exercise” makes you think about the connectivety between all six London airports.
    The two most irksome connections would probably be between Heathrow and Gatwick (compared to the coach), and between London City and Stansted.

Mayor Boris plan pays lipservice to the idea but let´s see how far he goes to improve the connections on public transport.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. I am being convinced that rental cars are not logical, although I would have SatNav.

I can see the benefit in starting with DLR, but is there any merit in then taking a taxi to Paddington, for the Heathrow Express?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Thanks, transtaxman.

My return is LHR to LGW , which I have done frequently. The National Express coach service works well, normally. Next month I shall probably rent a car and go “home” to the Midlands en route.

The problems of commuting to / from Heathrow were also brought home to me last month at an exhibition in Earl’s Court. Overseas visitors, Americans in particular, were asking how they will get to Excel where the exhibition is to be held next year. I would be interested to hear about the new crossrail link. Any information out there?

Again, thanks to everyone for thier input. I thought that it was just me missing something obvious.

erodriguez
    Participant

Oh Man FaroFlyer,

It doesn’t seem all that much of a challenge to get from LCY to Heathrow- I think you’re thinking this one through way too much. If you got a quote for 54 quid on the taxi why even consider renting a car for 60 quid plus petrol? Why go through the hassle and still not get door to door service?

Also, considering the luggage that you have a trip on the Tube doesn’t seem all that difficult. Again, to each his or her own but this seems like its being made much more complicated than it has to be!

NTarrant
    Participant

Taxi from LCY to Paddington will cost quite a bit particularly at the time you are travelling. If it gets stuck in traffic the meter keeps clicking away!

Stick with DLR and tube, even if it is to Paddington. By the way you mentioned First class on LHRExp earlier. Whilst I prefer to travel in First on trains where possible, LHR Exp is not one of them, it is incredably expensive and standard is actually quite good I think.

transtraxman
    Participant

@FaroFlyer – 04/10/2012 15:14 GMT

1-For the Crossrail website.

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/maps/#.UG20R644Eoo

2-For the trip from LHR to Custom House (ExCel)…

either
    (A)Heathrow Express to Paddington,
    then Hammersmith and City Line to West Ham

or
    (B)Heathrow Connect to Ealing Broadway
    then
    District Line to West Ham

https://www.heathrowconnect.com/index.asp?SID={CC8B4DB0-4438-4B78-BBD5-88DF8D46D6E6}

From West Ham take the DLR to Custom House (every 10 mins.)

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/west-ham-timetable-information.pdf

SwissExPat
    Participant

Agree that comnination of DLR and LU via Paddington is the best.

Also if you arrice in PAD at the right time, you can take the Heathrow CONNECT rather than the express, and you will pay stg£9.20 rather than £18 but take 20 mins rather than 15 min.

I did the the CONNECT yesterday and will be my choice in future if I can adhere to their 30 min cycle rather than the 15 cycle of the LHR EXPRESS.

Rgds P

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Couple of alternative routes maybe.

DLR London City Airport-West Ham. Dirstrict Line to Hammersmith same platform change to Picadilly line.

DLR London City Airport to Stratford, Central Line to Ealing Broadway. Heathrow Connect to Paddington.

I live in West Ham and it takes me approximately 75 minutes to get to Heathrow. The changes are easy (if you have Tube Exits app on your iphone even easier). The journey from London City to Paddingon takes on average 1 hour. then you have to get to the platform and get the Heathrow Express so total overall journey time wont be much better than going by DLR and underground. than it will be going to Paddington and taking the Heathrow Express.

londontaxi
    Participant

Or you could take a taxi, try making an offer to the drivers on the rank…..you might be suprised at how good the fixed prices are, and we can use the bus lanes which gives us a time advantage over a car.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Thanks Londontaxi, that sounds a good idea. What do you think would be a reasonable offer? The online booking companies range from £42 upwards

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls