Best way from LCY to LHR T5

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

• Anonymous

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Can anyone help? I have to transfer from LCY to LHR T5 later this month. I have plenty of time, 16:15 LCY depart LHR 22:00 but there seems no obvious way to transfer.

National Express have a 4 hour journey, with 2 changes. TFL is a nightmare with a suitcase and briefcase. Taxis seem expensive.

Is a 1-way car rental the best option, or have I missed something obvious?

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Bus or tube to Paddington then the Heathrow Express?

Depending on the size of your luggage go for a limo bike?

http://www.virginlimobike.com

or if all else fails you could go for a helicopter.

JohnnyFox
    Participant

Fly via AMS.

LCY 17.05 AMS 19.15/AMS 20.30 LHR 20.50

but in all seriousness, http://www.justairports.com will transfer you comfortably for about £50.

If you opt for public transport, the DLR to Canning Town, Jubilee to Green Park and Piccadilly to Heathrow are step-free if, at Green Park, you go up the escalators to the main hall before descending to the Piccadilly.

Deleted_User
    Participant

DLR and Underground, if not the whole way, then as far as Paddington. Even with luggage it’s easypeasy!

JohnnyFox
    Participant

Anyone who suggests Paddington clearly has no idea where LCY is.

Paddington is as many changes from LCY by tube as Heathrow itself, and not faster. Equally of course no bus goes anywhere near there from here.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Forget about any form of road transport. Not only is it horrendous but it’s unpredictable at the best of times.

simonhb’s advice is spot on.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

As the OP has time on his hands his/her. So may wish to stop off (store luggage in left luggage) and have a drink possibly an early evening meal in town before heading to LHR?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Thanks everyone.

JohnnyFox wins the prize for the most imaginative, and also the most practical solutions. BeckyBoop wins the prize for the most interesting idea.

Tube and Heathrow Express, first class, saves only £10 and includes the hassle factor.

I shall book the justairports car for £42 and take my early evening drinks, and dinner, in the BA gold card lounge.

andystock
    Participant

DLR from LCY to Canning Town, change on to Jubilee line (one esculator change).

Then Change at Baker St onto the Bakerloo (cross platform change) to Paddington, then Heathrow Express to LHR

or

Then Change at Green Park onto the Piccadilly to LHR

NTarrant
    Participant

Just think in 10 years time DLR to Canning Town, then DLR to Canary Wharf the Crossrail to LHR!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Or if the Woolwich Arsenal Crossrail station has opened by then (it’s currently under construction but awaits more funding for total completion) it might be easier/quicker to take the DLR back to Woolwich, then straight through to LHR.

NTarrant
    Participant

I’d forgotten about that one, would certain save a change of train with luggage.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Thanks Andy Stock, but 3 changes seems a nightmare, with baggage. Having said that, justairport cars website quote of £42 was advised as £54 in response to an e-mail seeking confirmation. I hate companies that advertise one price then charge another.

Looks like it is back to a 1-way rental at ~£60 plus petrol

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Faroflyer, How much luggage have you got?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls