Best metro in world?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 141 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

I agree there are multiple priorities. I am not saying it will cause accidenta or fatalities just that if they do result then reaponsibility will rest with Mr Johnson and victims and their dependants should be able to sue him personally as well as whatever body is running tbe services at the time. I am just anxious that people take responsibility for their actions. I feel strongly over this following the attempts to avoid responsibility by parties in recent crashes and incidents.

wingcommander
    Participant

Like others I think the London Underground system is probably one of the best. The sheer size and scale, daily footfall make it hard to beat ….. Although a favorite of mine would be the Glasgow Subway system for its simplicity and efficiency.

RichHI1
    Participant

Though I never used it i cannot help but admire the Shanghai subway for growing so rapidly. The Chinese don’t spend years on reviews and inquiries they just do it.

tallboy
    Participant

Madrid. Clean, efficient, and much cheaper than most European alternatives: Just 2 EUR from / to Barajas airport, and only 1 EUR around town.

canucklad
    Participant

Last time I was in London I chose to for go the cars that my company puts on for me to ferry be back and forth (except for travel to T2 at LHR). and instead I topped up my Octopus card and off I went joining the locals on their commute. Amazingly I found that it was 20minutes quicker using the bus and tube. Travelling to T5 is also perfect. So it seems to me that if you can confidently ditch the car the system works. I reiterate what I already mentioned though. Both the tube and Madrid lose a lot because the’re not 24/7 operation.

canucklad
    Participant

Last time I was in London I chose to for go the cars that my company puts on for me to ferry be back and forth (except for travel to T2 at LHR). and instead I topped up my Octopus card and off I went joining the locals on their commute. Amazingly I found that it was 20minutes quicker using the bus and tube. Travelling to T5 is also perfect. So it seems to me that if you can confidently ditch the car the system works. I reiterate what I already mentioned though. Both the tube and Madrid lose a lot because the’re not 24/7 operation.

RichHI1
    Participant

I agree, in these days of desiring to limit pollution and congestion, broadening the hours of activity to dilute the peaks. This requires a 24/7 approach to public transport. Thinking anyone not following 9-5 must pay for taxis is ludicrous. I woul also go back to 24 hr services such as we have seen to brighton and the Waterloo windsor lines in the past.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Rich writes “I cannot help but admire the Shanghai metro for growing so rapidly.”

On the surface it appears impressive but, as with the new Beijing-Shanghai high speed line, questions are being asked about whether the expansion has been too fast for safety.

Last September there was a major crash on the Shanghai metro (line 10) which resulted in hundreds of injuries. Two months previously on the same line, a signal failure caused a train to take a wrong turn.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/28/world/asia/shanghai-subway-accident-injures-hundreds.html

RichHI1
    Participant

I think it is fair to question safety in China, they have also had train crashes and the Beijing – Shanghai high speed is currently not so high speed as a result. The UK though, does not have an unblemished safety record on public transport though the Underground has been free of serious events for some time, Kings Cross being the most recent major event I can recall though there have been scares and near misses more recently.
    For example in 2009.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/15251879

canucklad
    Participant

I would agree that the speed of Chinese development might suggest a possible. Slap dash approach to safety. However I would have welcomed a Chinese firm with their own workers to construct our tram system here in 2dinburgh. The whole episode is nothing short of a national disgrace and embarresment. The German company involved should be ashamed of themselves the way they took full advantage for their own profit of incredibley naïve and stupid people on the council. If we had used dragon power I would probably be using a world class system here in the capital. And at a fraction of the price.

RichHI1
    Participant

Are they still arguing about trollies in Princes Street?

canucklad
    Participant

Our city buses are regularly voted the best service in the land. The need for the trams were doubtfull. Once the decision was made its just been a cas cow for ourEuropean pals. They have re-started but arguing about the route. And in grand british tradition everytime you pass the workers. Ateast 1/2 just stand watching the other half.

RichHI1
    Participant

Yes the Chinese would have got to Stirling by now. But they are nor in the EU so …..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

And it’s not just Shanghai’s metro which had the accidents … there have been problems in Beijing too.

At Beijing’s Zoo station last year, an escalator suddenly changed direction and threw passengers down the stairwell:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/05/teenager-killed-escalator-accident

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

The one and only Tube; The London Underground, I hate how Metro is used when the 1st was used was underground. France’s Paris Metro that every seems to use comes from the Budapest and Glasgow where called Metro 1st.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 141 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls