Best metro in world?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 141 total)

• Saffjoyfox3
    Participant

I would say:

– the Delhi metro (in particular, it links the satellite, but highly developed and popular residential, town of Gurgaon to New Delhi proper very well and avoids the heavy and unpredictable Delhi traffic).

– and I have always found the Paris and Madrid metro systems very easy and cost-effective to use, especially when moving round the city centres.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Hengli123

I would have totally agreed with your comments on the Singapore MRT until I read The Straits Times this weekend.

There are many reports about how the MRT is failing Singaporeans right now. Historically this newish system has been more or less faultless but as it comes of age the MRT is seeing the sort of problems which mature transit systems in Europe experience.

The difference is that whereas we in Europe know what to do when things go wrong, our Singaporean counterparts do not.

There have been a number of breakdowns and system failures recently on the Singapore MRT which have made headline news, day after day, in the local media.

The result has been chaos and confusion because passengers and staff simply didn’t know what to do.

Now analysts are telling the MRT management they must polish up their act and learn from the operators of transit systems elsewhere.

Readers contemplating a trip on the MRT should bear this in mind.

http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-Story/The-Big-Story-3/Story/STIStory_746310.html

BeckyBoop
    Participant

“cost-effectiveness” oh please! Vintage krug are you going mad again… nurse, nurse NUUURRRSSEEE!!!!! ..lol just teasing sweet pea, granted they can be comforatble if you ever get a seat! 😉 xxxxx

The LT staff both tube and buses for that matter are absolute muppets, holding the hold network to ransom during the the olympics for more money.. they make the so called ‘mentalists” of a certain airlines staff assocication like absolute saints in comparrison. Why cant they use driverless trains like those on the DLR????

lets sing, all together now…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=UymKurTBdhw

xxx

RichHI1
    Participant

I am afraid posts from certain posters are incredibly predictable. For anyone who is a frequent traveller I cannot believe anyone would prefer the over priced, over crowded London Underground. It is amazing air con is a novelty in the 2010’s. What happened to express
    Services on the District, pullman cars on Metropolitan etc?
    When it began London led the world. Interesting they brought over an American to run it ( which is why there are so many Americanisms in use to this day.

Hippocampus
    Participant

The point is you have to compare like with like. For all its faults The London Underground system does a very effective job at carrying millions of people in a very densly populated city across a relatively large network of lines and stations. There are about 3.5m journeys every day in Zones 1-2 alone.

RichHI1
    Participant

I would rate a subway as a rider not as a management consultant. Interesting how little response there has been on how often you ride. Tokyo is the only one I ride often. I guess NY now and again and London hardly ever. District and metropolitan not too bad but i find the tube lines (northern, piccadilly etc) very claustrophobic.
    Anyone know if there is any truth to the Moscow subway having a secondary system below built for party officials. Nice subway but the escalators are so steep!

NTarrant
    Participant

I have to agree with Hippocampus, the tube does a very good job and that is rating it as a rider. How often do you ride the Tokyo stsyem Rich?

RichHI1
    Participant

On average I am in Tokyo around 5-6 weeks a year in total and I use subway for most trips. I use NEX and connect at Shinagawa from NRT and for virtually all trips I use subway ( to be strictly accurate I use public rail as Tokyo has an integrated system with Subway and regular commuter rail. Japan is one place where I do not resent using public transport. There is some support for english but it helps a lot to have some japanese. Pasmo and suica work very well too for ticketing. First time you use local ticket machines is fun!
    Other neat stuff is you can pay by waving japanese cellphone over gate and each station plays a different tune to help blind idnetify station.

donkeyasia
    Participant

Lugano Pirate. I agree with your comment on Gauteng – JNB. except for the lack of trolleys at the ariport and the fact that those that are available on the platform will not go through the ticket barrier

watersz
    Participant

whilst i’m a big fan of the tokyo rail system
    The is a big diffrence to me from riding jr and riding the subway during the morning rush hour

the subway is as uncomfortubly crowded as it gets but i rearly have
    felt the same way on the jr lines in and around the city

ConstantFlyer1
    Participant

In the UK, one of the best is the Tyne and Wear Metro. In Europe, my choice would be Budapest. And my worlwide top spot would go to Hong Kong.

donkeyasia
    Participant

Since when did Business traveller allow such blatant advertising nothing to do with the topic converned.

I suggest that Partick7878 goes ‘UNDERGROUND’

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Donkeyasia, I think it’s some Nigerian scam by the looks of it.

On your point re JNB, you’re right about the trolleys, but I use a small carry on with wheels so I can avoid them. Nonetheless it’s something the authorities should look at.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

On reflection, perhaps they did look at it and we’re worried about all the airport trolleys ending up in Pretoria and Sandton!

donkeyasia
    Participant

LP – perhpas they should ad a ‘trolley’ bus service to compliment the gauteng rail service.

seriously, Hong Kong is the most consisetne for timing, flexibility, pricing, interchanges and routings

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 141 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls