Best laptop?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

mnn, the good old mac vs PC debate.

Virus’s etc are only a problem if you dont keep up to date or have enough security. Apple OS is just as vulnerable as windows. execept windows is far more popular so Apple gets less attacks.

I change my lappy everyear. Really, the argument of pays for what you get is true in PC land (not in apple) I suggest you pay more more a higher end machine that can take the occasional drop from a bag, spilt coffee, bashed around in an overhead locker. Anything from the ThinkPad or HP envy or elite is good. You can pick up same performace spec machines at lower prices but as a traveller you will find annoying things like keys falling off etc.

I use a 17 inch HP elite 8540p, with extra capacity battery, good for 8 hours work or 6 hours constant video (nothing on IFE’s these days) nice machine with 3 year ww warrantee. Its heavy! but then thats what a trolly bag is for 🙂

I always buy mine in HK, because of aforementioned VAT, additionally somewehere like fortress will set it all up for you before you take it away

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’ve recently had both a Sony Z Series and a MacBook Pro; have to say I’m sticking with my MacBook Pro. Sony lasted about 2 years, MacBook still going strong after 2 years and no sign of it deteriorating in any way.

Though it pains me to say it, buy your Mac at World Duty Free at BAA airports for the best UK prices, and the opportunity to earn lucrative Worldpoints.

Rabbz_Staralliance
    Participant

If you consider thinkpad, I suggest you will have 2 years of time to think for a new laptop to replace it. My 3 yrs old Think starts to falls apart though, more freezes, worn batteries, etc. etc. I do love my Think becuase I dropped it a few times and my Think doesn’t seems to be hurt from it. I will need to find a laptop too. 🙂 Sony’s fine if your’re not that worry about your budget, Fujitsu is okay too.

Rabbz_*A

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I tend to use Fujitsu laptops. They are not the lightest nor do they have th elongest lasting battery life, but the key essential for me is repair and service centres in case of problem and my usual haunts usually have a decent service centre.

I am not too sure that the “latest spec” issue will make a real difference unless of course you are running heavy duty programmes.

I used to look at the Toshiba lightweight, lap tops. Always stayed away from Sony due to the price. You generally pay extra for the Sony brand.

The other research I used to undertake was to look around the business longes at airports to see who was using what. Dell used to have a big lounge representation, but now days with the prices falling and specs generally increasing, my advice would be to go with what you like in terms of look, feel and weight.

I generally upgrade/replace my lap top every year. I always travel with an acronis offline back up in case I need to re install the entire hard drive and I always make sure their is a pre bios password so if my lap top does get stolen or lost, the data is safe.

I would take a look in a store where there is plenty of choice.

Finally, do not be tempted by overseas prices UNLESS you have seen and read the wording of the International Warranty.

Please let us know what you have bought.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Becoming an Apple user is a little like getting used to F class …

need I say more ?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

On that basis…………. my Fujitsu is like the new Suite class!

Bullfrog
    Participant

And my Macbook Pro + all the other Apple products

is like having a Boeing BBJ

MartynSinclair
    Participant

interesting – would I choose the new Gulfstream 650 for a windows install or the BBJ for a Mac install.

stevescoots
    Participant

Martin, i do the same, full off line backup carried.

I learnt the hard way after a run in with a security guard at an Apple manufacturing plant that lead me to destroy my hard drive rather than let them read its contents. I ended up travelling the next 2 weeks with a fedex backup from the UK following me around, never again!

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Toshiba Portege are great – light weight, well made, small – go for the model with SSD for extra quick performance. I think for people who travel a lot, they are ideal!

Tim2soza
    Participant

Go for an iPad 2. I have had laptops for 20 years and was simply stunned when I took the plunge into Apple world.

The iPad has been a revelation. Instant on, charge it once a week, share files via Dropbox, Apps to hook into Corporate systems. £399+Vat for the 32Gb WiFi, which is more than enough.

Final piece of advice, if you are still going for a laptop, choose a solid state hard disk. It will cost more, but the boot up time is much faster, and the machine will perform at a higher speed than a regular disk. I have just ordered solid state disks for all my Company laptops.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Thinkpad X220 for me, 12.5 inch screen, 8GB RAM and Intel i5 running at 2.5GHz – in other words more than adequate for typical office type activities. Weight is about 1.4kg with a 9 cell battery, giving circa 5 hours realistically, have even got 6 hours when doing activities that are not processor intensive.

SSD is fast, but can still be unreliable – fortunately the Thinkpad can accomodate a MSATA SSD as well as a SATA HDD.

I have a 60GB MSATA as C:>, with Windows and Office and use the 320GB HDD as D:> for data and less frequently used programmes, but the latter is also a boot disk in case the MSATA goes belly up.

The only drawback with the X220 is that it uses a 7mm thick HDD, instead of the standard 9.5mm, which severely limits upgrade options to either a Hitachi Travelstar 500GB (that only spins at 5400rpm, against the 7200rpm of the original) or a very expensive SSD, which frankly is too expensive.

However, I can get by with 380GB total.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

the new Ultra ranges of laptops are ideal for travelling.

samanthah
    Participant

Flyingbunny, it’s been a while since you put up your first comment but if you are indeed a flying bunny then I would go with a Macbook Air. If you only need inputs for USB’s then this is perfect because it doesn’t have a CD slot (if you really need one then you can always buy a cheap external one.

I’m being a bit biast because I bought one for myself and I am very happy with it so far. Like I said, the weight/space issue is its best feature for travellers. If you a really wanting a PC then I suppose there is a ‘copy’ out there on the market.

Or like TIm2sms said, you could try using a tablet?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls