Best laptop?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

• Anonymous

flyingbunny
    Participant

I am about to upgrade my laptop. Had a Mac notebook but have decided to go down the PC route. Does anyone have any suggestions for PCs? Most important to me is a long battery life (I don’t want to have to carry an extra battery pack) and I need a good sized screen rather than gizmos and gadgets. I store most info on USBs so huge memory space is not essential. Thanks.

albert_ateng
    Participant

i really like the sony z series at 13.1 inch, designed for business in mind without a compromise spec wise. it uses lightweight casing material which makes it more expensive than a slightly larger sony sr series, which is also good for business (lower end of z in general except for configure to order models).

iflytoomuch
    Participant

Suggest you go for a 10″ netbook if yr only looking at emails etc while on the go. The new ones powered by the Atom 270 chip are great if you don’t need a CD/DVD drive. ( I have a portable ext one for when needed). Lightweight, easy to lug about, very economical, yet does almost all the larger models do. Suggest you look at the ASUS or MSI Wind range. Both abt USD$430.

macman147
    Participant

I think you will really regret going down the PC route. Windows is a real step backwards.

GeorgeG
    Participant

but for price PCs can’t be beaten

macman147
    Participant

You get what you pay for. If you want virus and security problems buy cheap.

iflytoomuch
    Participant

Quite right, you do get what you pay for. However security and virus protection is not linked to the sale price of the laptop… so don’t understand the logic there…. the new cheaper range of netbooks are great for travelling and usually do all that is required but don’t fully replace a highly speced 15″machine.

macman147
    Participant

I didn’t see where in my post I connected cheap with security. You can have the same security issues with windows no matter what you paid for the hardware.

flyingbunny
    Participant

Thank you all for the advice. I agree that the hassle of virus infections is a concern and I will look into the PC options for that. Surely PCs virus software is just as protected as MACs? I will miss my Mac but I think a simple PC will do for now. Thanks all again.

ChinaEddie
    Participant

Hi FlyingBunny,

Personally I like the Thinkpad series; I find it have enough processing power and optimal tradeoffs between weight and useability.

Also, you didn’t state what sort of work environments that you will be using that laptop in. 🙂 I know personal friends that found the Panasonic Toughbook series good for field work.

Hope you find the laptop of your choice. Cheers.

amiller
    Participant

I suggest too a 10″ netbook if your only looking at emails etc while on the go. If you want to pay five times like that you can also go for the new Macbook Air. But only the bigger model, I find the screen real estate on the smaller one really disappointing. But the Netbook is my first advice. Some of them already have 3G-Modems included, so you don’t have to put a USB-Stick on them.

ssnwtlove
    Participant

this is the first time i come here, my pet name is Roy, you can call me Roy, i am from California, I like this site, I like traveling, fishing, my best like is to find calssic Breitling watches, hope we could be good friends through this good site
    Christmas is coming best wishes for you and your family

Ardmarnoch
    Participant

If you are using it for international travel, consider buying an ASUS. These guys make the guts for a whole lot of kit, invented the netbook (the ASUS Eee), but most importantly offer a two year international warranty. They do have a very wide range of models. If you are ever in Singapore or Hong Kong and are OK with a US keyboard, the prices are pretty good, there is no VAT in HK, and in SIN you get the 7% tax refunded at the airport. …and with 20% VAT looming..

habbyby
    Participant

I think netbooke is ok. I like ASUS Eee PC 1005HA Netbook very much.

the details:

CPU Intel® Atom N280
    OS Genuine Windows® 7 Starter
    Memory 1GB DDR2 SO-DIMM ( MAX to 2GB RAM available)
    Hard Drive 250GB HDD;10GB Eee Storage( XP only)/ 500GB* ASUS WebStorage (Windows 7 only)
    Display 10.1″ LED Backlight WSVGA Screen (1024×600)
    Wireless Data Network WLAN 802.11b/g/n @2.4GHz
    Bluetooth BluetoothV2.1* + EDR
    Audio Hi-Definition Audio CODEC
    Speaker Stereo speaker
    MIC Digital Array Mic (XP Only)
    Camera 1.3M Pixels
    I/O Port 1 x VGA Port (D-sub 15-pin for external monitor)
    2 x USB 2.0
    1 x LAN RJ-45
    2 x Audio Jack (Head Phone / Mic-in)
    1 x Card Reader: MMC/ SD(SDHC)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls