Best and worst connecting airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 101 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Onlyplanes –

International connections at any US airport require a US visa/ESTA (even if not going airside) and if Canada adopts the same rules then transitting Canada won’t be straightforward in future.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/New-Entry-Requirements-for-UK-Travellers-to-Canada

For example, Air NZ passengers flying LHR-AKL still need to obtain US visa or ESTA even if they are taking the same aircraft while transitting LAX.

http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/us-entry-and-transit-requirements

Onlyplanes
    Participant

@AMcWhirter

You’re quite right concerning the US Visa/ESTA and that’s why connecting through a US airport is not fast.

Canada is now offering a transit without visa through YVR and YYZ terminal 1 for some nationals (mainly from Asian countries) going to or from the US (they still need to go through US preclearance in those airports) . If this program is doing well, they may expand it to other nationals and to new international destinations. The goal is to attract connecting passengers allowing them to transit without visa through Canadian airports.

For instance, in the future, passengers from Brazil will probably prefer to transit without visa to travel to Japan or China through a Canadian airport than a US one with a visa.

But in all cases, passengers will need the Canadian ETA (when implemented in March 2016) or go through US preclearance if the US is their final destination or have a quick passport check with Canadian immigration if they are connecting from international to international. In both cases, baggages will be going straight to the final destination.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Alex & Onlyplanes
    I’ve believed for quite a time, that YVR would rapidly move up the Skytrax rating if they ditched the need to follow such a convoluted process for people who are transiting from International to International. If they had a Schipol model for all passengers I’m sure YVR would attract a bigger market share, stick an airside “puffing lounge” on their roof and just watch a huge market share ditch LAX when travelling to the South Pacific from Europe .
    Having said that…… Skytrax & Fifa …….. Do you ever see them in them in same place together ? : )

Schaible
    Participant

The worst transit experience is DXB. Packed and crowded like an Indian fish market, especially during the night hours. Even the lounges in Dubai were both overcrowded and service was far below par, compared with most other First & Business Class lounges I have been to.

For a few years already I avoid trips thru DXB and – if necessary – transit in AUH and DOH. Both do lots better then their neighbor in Dubai.

Capelle2007ijssel
    Participant

My worst experiences are as follows:

1. Madrid: Majority of staff at connections desk (Iberia staff) cannot understand English properly – very annoying especially due to OneWorld and BA’s strong partnership with Iberia – you would expect them to employ fluent English speaking staff. Also you got to walk more than 1 mile to get to anywhere as well as a train and 4 escalators before you get onto your connecting flight.

2. Delhi: Definitely not fit for transit especially if coming from an Int flight going onto domestic. To see how this feels, take a day trip to Southall in West London. Get off the 120 bus near King Street and then walk to Southall Railway Station and wait for the next train to Paddington.

3. Dubai: Terribly long distances to walk just like Madrid.

4. LHR Terminal 3: Feels like a refugee camp than an airport. Opt for T5 instead, long queues can be annoying but overall the best out of every terminal in London including LGW which I always avoid.

5. Hong Kong: Do this sector often for onward connection to TPE. Terrible especially since on this occasion i needed a WCHR and firstly, the size of the chair was 2 inches bigger than one of my legs and the person pushing me was the size of tinker bell. + incredibly long walks.

The best:

1. Rotterdam Airport – My favourite in the world but sadly BA withdrew from RTM.

2. Amritsar Airport – Surprisingly, this airport is not so bad. It took me 40 minutes to connect from a long haul to short haul service and that too with different airlines.

3. Istanbul – Arriving from an International flight and connecting to a domestic flight is annoying because you have to walk to another terminal via a walkway which is rather long – however, this airport impressed me beyond all expectations. The Turks who work at IST are simply the best airport staff I have ever come across in my life. A very humbling experience, customer service at it’s finest – no attitude, no ruddiness and a fast/efficient service which made connecting fun.

4. Taipei – flawless, quick and the Taiwanese have excellent customer service skills.

5. Haneda – WOW absolutely amazing. No issues, fast and efficient as is the case with NRT (but I prefer HND).

Onlyplanes
    Participant

Hi Canucklad,

Actually YVR is pushing the Canadian government to ease the transit for international travellers at its airport (in terms of transit visa). They want to be the gateway to Asia for South American passengers and to South America for Asian passengers. They will also need to convince AC and other South American carriers such as TAM or Avianca to start South American destinations from YVR. Big task for YVR and Tourism BC !

But I am afraid that the Schiphol model is not possible in Canada as there is no concept of transit area. All passengers must be checked at their arrival either by US immigration if going to the US or Canadian border agents if going to another international destinations.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

always found transit through LHR a breeze, even when transferring between terminals

Paris is terrible

also I don’t understand the need for a security / bag check as I have stepped off one Emirates flight before the next one (I have after all only been sat on an aeroplane for past 7 hours having exited the previous airport through security and bag checks)

the other annoyance is the random security checks on the entry into Singapore Changi (only seems to afflict budget carriers)

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Openflies
    Totally agree with you, regarding they have no concept of a truly international transit area!!

To me, it’s not that difficult to implement, it just takes a change in mind-set. As you walk towards immigration you actually walk through the International departures lounge, segregated by nothing more than height and glass panels.

My proposal would be to create a space just beyond the escalators that take you down to Canada immigration , creating one queue that processes you back into the security area and then into the international lounge, the other queue leading directly to the US pre-clearance area, which actually becomes a beneficial selling point for transiting at YVR . Although there would need to be a carousel built to reclaim bags before heading to US customs.

Strangely I went onto the YVR site and chose different airline options to see results were for arriving internationally connecting to the US. If you arrive with Cathay, you follow signs that take you directly to the pre-clearance area, if I arrive with BA; it directs you through Canada Border Services. So I can only assume the dynamics of reciprocal politicos comes into play. Further if I type in AC to AC I can avoid the process CBS. Which means that if I choose to fly to HNL from LHR , with AC I miss CBS, if my inbound flight is with BA then Westjet I have to go through the Canadian rigmarole !!

dutchyankee
    Participant

Zurich has proven to me to be the easiest and most efficient airport to connect in. An absolute breeze and pleasure. The Swiss always live up to their reputation of superb efficiency and manners. The worst for me in recent times is Istanbul. Just a chaotic mess, no real direction or control from those monitoring the situation, and often knowing someone or being a self important Turk means being able to cut every line at will. I love visiting Turkey, but despise Ataturk Airport.for connections or simply arrival.

RolHerVig
    Participant

The worst, for me: MAD, MEX, AMS
    Average: CDG, GVA, MUC
    Good: LHR, FCO

AMcWhirter
    Participant

One also has to take the unexpected into consideration.

“RolHerVig” rates FCO as good.

But what about today ? FCO is cutting capacity and some airlines are having to operate at different zones. Surely that would affect the transfer experience.

Our report June 12

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/101754/rome-fiumicino-cutting-capacity-to-60-percent

Onghockguan
    Participant

Dubai Airport is not user friendly and their baggage handling staff are going through suitcases. My wife’s bag had the combination lock broken and watches taken out of the suitcase. How do they know there are watches in the suitcase???? I will be extremely careful when passing through this horrible airport. Checking in at Terminal 1 is not fun and it is a very old and not maintained Terminal. After going through the checkin you walk a long distance to the next Terminal.

Singapore Airport is my favourite. They have excellent food outlets with good prices (in fact the cheapest by any standard) and transfer between Terminals are very easy. I left my mobile phone for charging some years ago in the arrival Terminal 2. I completely forgot about my mobile phone and after checking into my hotel in Singapore, I called Terminal 2 and ask if anyone found my mobile phone. In any other country or airport it will be gone. Surprisingly, one of the cleaners found the mobile phone and kept it in the office. I returned to the airport and was able to claim back my mobile phone.

Hong Kong Airport is very nice but hard to find where and how to board the plane. The food outlets are fine and they have very good selection too. Prices are not that cheap.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

onghokguan: Any seriously valuable item should never be in checked bags, especially when in transit…wake up!

RHMAngel
    Participant

Best: Changi, Singapore – for all the facilities, staff there helpful & seem like they want to be there, activities, everything open all hours …

Worst: Dallas … Queues unbelievable, for those transiting, cue queue jump alert otherwise you ain’t ever gonna get your connection if you thought 2 hours or less was ok. Flights aren’t on time. It’s never fully staffed … Combination = stressed out transit passengers

Those who have Dallas as a final destination can only stand in growing anger at the amount of people queue jumping to make flights and those just taking advantage and queu jump anyway. Sucks.

Far East terminals can teach Europe and Americas a lot …IMHO

EruditeSheep
    Participant

Of course, this will all change as far as US transit points go, provided the proposal to offer pre-clearance in the UK goes ahead. My experience of flying on AA from DUB to LAX with transit at JFK shows that this can be a breeze. At JFK the time from plane to lounge at JFK can be all of 5 minutes. But the knock-on effect of queues for pre-clearance at UK departure points could throw a serious spanner in the works.

I’m currently sitting in the Senator lounge at MUC where IMHO the transfer process generally works very well.

Otherwise, I agree with the comments posted by many others – although I would suggest that inter-terminal transfer at LGW seriously needs to be sorted out. So for DUB-LGW-MCO for example, it really should be possible to stay airside for both the outgoing and return flights.

I’m somewhat concerned though that the fast-track transfer at LHR T5 is no longer open as reported by Steptoe. Is this still the case?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls