Best and worst connecting airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 101 total)

• PeterCoultas
    Participant

Surprise, surprise, not too many plus votes for heathrow (especially if your need to connect from nonBA to BA or international to domestic)…equally why vote for FFT – there are always slow buses to gates (MUC much better): SIN is best for me

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Welcome to the forum JCtraveler.

From my experience the worst are Frankfurt (unless travelling First in which case it’s one fo the best), LHR and Mumbai.

The best I think are ZRH and though loathe to admit it, Doha. JNB is also pretty good but it depends on one’s perspective and if like me, thanks to residence permits, you’re able to avoid the long immigration queues.

icenspice
    Participant

Best in my experience are HKG and NRT.

Worst are JFK and Delhi (latter from international to domestic terminal).

In support of LHR, the inter-terminal transfer bus works well, but that’s about it.

rferguson
    Participant

Not one that would appear on most people’s lists but a pretty rubbish airport for me in terms of transit from international to domestic is SYD. Unless you are travelling on a ‘through’ Qantas ticket via SYD you have to pay for the train or a taxi from the international to domestic terminals which I think is really poor.

Gold-2K
    Participant

PHL has my vote for the worst. Avoided it for years as my experience of international to domestic transfer was so bad, but in a moment of madness gave it another go earlier this year. Never again!!!!

I have US colleagues who avoid it like the plague also. Shockingly bad, use it at your peril !!!

fatbear
    Participant

Whilst I generally like Singapore I will go against the tide here and say I had a terrible experience intransit from Sydney to LHR. Admittedly not a connection but getting off the plane to get on again was very painful

I have a strong personal dislike of Antigua, hopefully it will be better when/if the new terminal opens

I like Amsterdam and have had no issues connecting there.

LAX was also awful. Athens was surprisingly easy

I have recently had two pain free connections at CDG, but they were both within 2E

IanFromHKG
    Participant

BKK as one of the worst, unless you are in training for a marathon.LHR inter-terminal is dire too, but not as bad as CDG

HEL is incredibly efficient

K1ngston
    Participant

SIN and HKG for me as the best! Worst BKK hate that place, and agree with what someone said above most Australian hubs Int to Dom you need a taxi or marathon shoes to connect

SimonS1
    Participant

Jeddah is an experience – transit from Saudia to international airlines terminal involves a road trip of about 20km. I loathe LHR as well and the transit passport check at JNB combined with minimalist staffing means that’s a bore.

Dubai is OK for me.

NTarrant
    Participant

SimonS1 – Jeddah is an experience just for domestic, thankfully I haven’t had the pleasure of international there. Have transited domestic to international in Dammam, not the other way though, it is easy but involves exiting domestic and joining the international departures.

Transiting Doha is ok, but there are some long walks, but that is also the same as HKG and SIN

canucklad
    Participant

Welcome to the forum JCtraveller

Having read with interest a few of my learnend fellow posters comments, I suppose you have to consider many factors …..

Airline to airline
    Terminal to terminal
    Domestic v international
    Local bureaucracy .. ie US
    Airport size…& facilities

Taking all in to account my nominations are ,

Europe best….1) DUB. 2) AMS. 3) PRA.
    Europe worst….1) CDG 2) FRA. 3) IST.

World best….1) SIN 2) YYZ. 3) NRT
    World worst …1) BOS 2) DXB 3) SYD

And actually my best connection ever was at EDI twice, but it’s not deemed a truly transit airport ……

Edski777
    Participant

Europe best: AMS, MUC, HEL
    Europe worst: CDG, LHR, FRA

World best: SIN, AMS, HKG
    World worst: MIA, JFK, LAX

When I started thinking about it I found it interesting that the country that “invented” the customer service concept was, at least in my mind and experience, by far the worst in passenger handling at this moment.
    The US is in this field really out of touch with the rest of the world. My list of “worst in Europe” would still make the list of best if only compared to the US airports.

TominScotland
    Participant

See my earlier post about Aegean Airlines – on the basis of that, admittedly limited, experience I would have to say Athens as the best!!

Worst? BKK is never much fun……..

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Interesting thread especially as it made me realise how few transfers I do these days. The only airport I have done this with any regularity recently is Houston, usually a domestic to International connection or vice versa. I have to say that despite all the negative publicity surrounding this in the USA, I have been quite impressed with the efficiency of the process there.

prosborn
    Participant

From the perspective of a WCHS pax (I cannot walk distances, nor take stairs, hence my code as WheelCHairnoStairs):

– use AMS, GVA, ZRH, MPL, DPS, SIN, NRT, IAH, DCA, BKK, KUL
    – avoid FRA, MUC and CDG for their systemic brutality
    – avoid ADD for the probability of being wheeled onto an escalator
    – avoid IAD for the incompetence, greed and sense-of-entitlement of the chair-pusher, who is 98.9% likely to be Ethiopian or thereabouts
    – be forgiving at HAH (Moroni), hey, it’s the only WCH on the island, so grin and bear it

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls