Best and worst connecting airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

MrMichael –

If MrsM is taking Austrian’s BKK flight ex-VIE then this thread is worth a read.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Austrian-Airlines-denied-boarding-Lies

esselle
    Participant

Not all Tallin flight are prop. Estonia operates 737s which are contact.

Tallinnman
    Participant

The worst airport has to be any airport with a fleet of buses airside that doesn’t have any plans to build more gates immediately.

Potentially a long list.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi K1ngston
    Ironically it was Boston Logan that put me off transiting through the US onwards to the country above them….

A palaver from start to finish, and that was just to board the same aircraft I arrived on from AMS…

However if I had to choose a favourite US transit airport, it would probably be MSP….

Selfemployed
    Participant

esselle:

All TLL-HEL flights are turboprops, that is what Tallinnman was referring to. I

Tallinnman
    Participant

Tere Selfie – Finnair have rostered Embraers on late evening flights from HEL at the moment but they still always require a bus to/from the terminal in HEL.

In winter when its -20C means you don’t want to be at the back of the queue at the aircraft steps when boarding!

Charles-P
    Participant

I was in Poland recently meeting with a contact and he told me of his National Service time in the Polish Air Force when he had to refuel a MiG-29 in minus 23 at the Malbork Air Base in Northern Poland. He claims it took him two hours to warm up afterwards !

MrMichael
    Participant

Thanks all for the response regarding MrsM’s trip to BKK. It is indeed an advertised connection, and having read theist Alex linked to she wants to chance it anyway. Time is not critical, and indeed If she does miss it and gets a Hotel and e700 she will not be very disappointed. She is more concerned about being separated from her luggage. I am going to book it for her, and will let you know how she gets on.

Giampaolo
    Participant

In Europe:
    The worst: Paris CDG
    The best: Amsterdam Schiphol

TominScotland
    Participant

DontTurnRight – does DUB have a 380 terminal? It did not when I was there on Thursday!! An almost-Ryanair terminal yes, is that what you mean?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

In any case, DUB cannot at present handle the A380.

TominScotland
    Participant

Indeed, Alex

I think this was really intended to be DXB….

kweeki1
    Participant

Last November I was flying from Paris to Los Angeles via Francfort with 1h10 connection time. The flight from Paris landed on time (even slightly earlier) but parked on the most remote stand of terminal A, something like A40. Which means very long walk to the central area, security control (which was quick). Bad luck – my next plane was parked on the most remote stand of another wing of the terminal A. I had to run to catch my flight! So for me FRA is not the best airport for connections at all.
    But I think there is a general trend to get airports bigger and bigger with eventually very long ways to walk. If you have a bad luck and both planes are far away – your connection will be very stressful. If you are lucky and the planes are close – everything will be fine. Even in CDG.

K1ngston
    Participant

canucklad apologies just saw your response. Its funny that on any given day an airport will differ in experience etc. I used to transit Boston a lot on my way through the US and never had an issue, and even found the staff friendly and sympathetic (you listening Term5 jobsworths)?

Somebody the other day told me about their wonderful experience entering the US through Toronto! I couldnt believe what I heard as I have never come across a more horrendous experience than the US Border control in Toronto with the condescending attitude and brusque manner, I swore I would never do it again as I couldnt keep my mouth shut to the pig at the desk and I need access to the US… Go figure!

EruditeSheep
    Participant

This whole discussion prompts me to question the accuracy of published minimum connection times especially those at US airports, where you may have to clear immigration and change terminal buildings outside the secure areas (e.g. ORD, LAX, EWR etc etc). For example, ExpertFlyer gives 1:30 for the time required for an International to Domestic connection on UA to UA at ORD. In my experience, this would be VERY risky!

Some airports really provide an excellent service in relation to connections. Examples include AMS and SIN, but there are many more. Is this enabled by the practice of providing security screening at the gates, rather than in a centralised area? Are the changes at AMS going to risk compromising this process?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls