Best airport lounges in the world?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
  • Nothing beats the Virgin Clubhouse in LHR. However, I was particularly impressed by the Air New Zealand lounge in Sydney. I was not impressed by the Emirates Dubai lounge though – far too large and a poor selection of food

MarcusUK
    Participant

1. The new Skyteam lounge at LHR T4, with its award winning designs, horizontal garden, oxygen bar, massage area, & full service breakfast dinner & lunches. Very fresh & innovative compared to many lounges at LHR. Private lounges offered on the 2nd floor!

2. KLM Crown Lounge complex, Schipol. The largest lounge in Europe, panoramic views of the terminals, open glass walls, Great feeling of space but calm, , marble floors with KLM blue theme throughout. It features themes of food from around the world.

3. The Malaysian Airlines Intercontinental lounge at KL has been there for many years. yet it retains a golden feel, excellent cook to order food, bar service to you, a sauna, concierge service, pressing, & a great atmosphere. An old player, but one that has shown consistency over many years.

4. Thai’s first class lounge & spa in BKK, (though the 1st class Oceania services no longer exist!)

I no longer rate SQ’s business lounge in new terminal Changai. the food has been sparse in recent 3 trips, no seats as overcapacity, shame.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The Virgin Clubhouse at LHR is excellent.

You can see an online tour here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVL5uLZeNaY

travelleryogi
    Participant

The Oberoi Lounge at Bangalore International Airport is the best one.
    This has even a title of “WORLD CLASS PIG HOLE”.

1. DULL LIGHTING
    2. ONLY 80 SEATS
    3. UNDERPAID CONTRACT STAFF
    4. LOUSY FOOD
    5. TOILETS THAT ARE ALWAYS LOCKED BY THE MANAGER
    are the hallmark of this world class Bangalore airport.

NO ONE CAN BEAT THIS ….. ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD

KSHaggag
    Participant

I do agree with MarkRoberts comments …..to some great extent ….

The KLM facility is nowadays one of the best in Europe …TG s Fcl zone is awesome and terrific ….you just need to be flying to Europe mainly on a flight offering Fcl …it is becoming so scarce !…

Let me add that I was NOT impressed at all ..at all by the highly acclaimed new Business Class lounge of EK in Dubai at T3 !!….spacious yes but not comfortable ..not very airy …cheap material of furniture ..((((unelegant)))) colours …poor /limited choice of food …..it gave me the feeling of being in a train station !!!…already shabby though quite new …nothing to compare to the QR s newly enlarged business class zone at the premium terminal in Doha ..elegant ,sleek,soothing ,comfortable ,enchanting ,inviting …..head and shoulders above the Emirates facility !!!…

Binman62
    Participant

For me the CX lounge in HKG is superb, LHR T5 BA not far behind.
    Love the view from Sydney Qantas First which combined with the superb pre flight, all day catering, superb new world wines and really nice people puts it well up there.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Perhaps we should also be electing the worst lounges also?
    Drab? Outdated?

Malev Lounge in Budapest has about 20 seats, pc’s that pre-date Victorian England, stale pastries (enough to keep a 747 as blocks), & staff that look & have the air of an Eastern European correctional centre! Lime green uniforms, not much has changed since 1980’s..and it isn’t a retro look!

If we are no nominate he best, much falls inbetween, but the worst could also be a sparky debate?

OzTraveller
    Participant

I agree, MarkRoberts9. This BEST forum has been around since May last year .. perhaps even more important are opinions on the WORST airport lounges around the world. Like anything in life, all opinions of Best are subjective but with Worst it’s usually something we can all agree on.

r ryan
    Participant

How about best “non-lounge lounge” experience? Noumea springs to mind. Checking in 2 hours before the Qantas flight to Brisbane you then discover that you can’t access the lounge as passport control doesn’t turn up till about 45 minutes before the flight. No worries go to the airport cafe – but “sorry, no food” (a common theme in parts of Noumea it would seem). 50 mins before the flight, passport opens. I am first in line, and it takes an eternity as the goon on the desk examines every single page in my passport, very very very slowly.

There are no signs to the lounge. Eventually discovered upstairs. The attendant is hogging the internet computer, which she continues to do until we leave for the flight. For the 11 people that eventually turn up in the lounge there are 5 tiny individual canape plates. They turn out to be extremely old – the bread has completely dried out and the prawn ones do not smell well at. All are left unmolested. Despite the lounge having just opened, the ice has melted. the wine and champers are warm. There is nothing else to eat. There is no wi-fi, and Mme Atttendant is still busy with her correspondence. There is a jug, tea bags and cups but no water to make a cup of tea which my colleague desperately needs, as he contracted food poisoning in Noumea only the day before, whereas I had it on day one as was up for a stiffer drink. The attendant leaves the internet for a moment to make tea in the coffee machine (!!!!). It tastes like rancid coffee. So really all the lounge had in the end, was a couch to sit on and a warm drink. Period.

As a coda, once on board the FSD told me of a regular customer on the Bris-Noumea flights, who had had food poisoning on three consecutive trips at three different hotels. And on the next trip where the hotels didn’t poison him, he ate the canapes in the lounge and was violently ill most of the flight and pretty much took up residence in the forward bathroom Be warned!

gardkarlsen
    Participant

Hi

My vote goes to the Lufthansa First Class Terminal in Frankfurt. And amazing selection of drinks and food, impressive service, great facilities etc. Here are a couple of articles with photos and videos that I posted after my visit there: http://gardkarlsen.com/blog/?p=457 and http://gardkarlsen.com/blog/?p=466

Regards
    Gard

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Thai Airways First Class Lounge in Suwanna is Top notch..includes its own spa although I am always quite happy with their run of the mill Business Class Emporium.

Large Bombay Safire,lots of ice and a slice of lime…not lemon…cant beat it before the departure back to Heathrow.

gardkarlsen
    Participant

I agree that the Thai First Class lounge at Suvarnabhumi is nice – the spa treatment that I got there was excellent before going on a long flight. But the food/drink selection in the lounge was not that impressive compared to the Lufthansa First Class lounge/terminal at Frankfurt.

Regards
    Gard

KSHaggag
    Participant

Gentlemen !

I do fully agree that the First Class Terminal in FRA is really outstanding and inspiring !!…but don t forget this is FIRST CLASS …..coming to Business lounges or even Senator ones ,they give me the feeling of a Railway station…it also looks a bit oldish and shabby ..even the Tower Lounge newly launched is not much different from the business amd Senator lounges ..come on LH ,you need to revolutionise your approach in business lounges …you did it right in First ..why not in Business ??? ..nowadays the KLM Crown Lounge 52 at Schiphol is one of the best in Europe although KLM has been lagging in lounge concept for ages !!..

I do love the TG First Class lounge ….especially when it comes to spa treatment ……head and shoulders above the pack !!!!!

By the way ..the BA T5 LHR Galleries ,Club section is not that outstanding …you need to be in First or Concorde Room to feel you are pampered …

NicholsonSPAIN
    Participant

QUANTAS SYDNEY FIRST CLASS LOUNGE is simply OUT OF THIS WORLD. The place itself, the food, the service, the views…. AMAZING. Have not seen anything like it….

jpmarcel
    Participant

In my opinion, VS Club House is definetly the best ever for Business Class passengers departing Europe. It is in fact far more exclusive and comfy than BA LHR T5 (but I admit that some may appreciate its kind of hospital ambience).

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls