Best airport lounges in the world?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)

• Anonymous

Business Traveller will be featuring an article on the best airport lounges in the world in our next issue, and we’d like your help in compiling it.

Which departure lounges merit a mention, and why? Let us know which features are the most important for you when it comes to a departure lounge (location, facilities, size, eligibility, etc), and which lounges tick these boxes in your opinion.

We’ll start you off with a few suggestions:

– BA’s Galleries at Heathrow T5

– Emirates’ lounges at the newly-opened Dubai International T3

– Cathay Pacific’s lounges at Hong Kong International airport

– Singapore Airlines’ lounges at Changi airport

Travellator
    Participant

Dont think its going to be BA lounge HKG somehow !

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Any that still has a smoking room that does not impeed non smokers.

CMoir12
    Participant

I agree that BA’s lounges at LHR T5 are currently amongst the best

viking01
    Participant

The Virgin ClubHouse(s) at both LHR and NY JFK are excellent, and the ones in HK is no slouch either.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It has to be the Lufthansa First Class Terminal at Frankfurt.

Superb in every respect from drive up check in, dedicated security line, dedicated duty free, personal greeting, full waiter service restaurant, free WiFi, terrific spacious and non-burping shower and bath suites with rubber duckies and ETRO bath accessories, a smart smoking area (think cigars rather than grabbing a quick ciggy).

The piece de resistance? A personal chauffeur driven Porsche Cayenne to the aircraft.

Nothing beats that. So good, they even made a documentary about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riVwcISBGas

I am also a big fan of Qantas’ First Lounge in Sydney. The rainforest wall is a great, calming feature as you enter. The food and wine on offer is top notch. Great runway views, and supremely courteous staff.

Nice as the T5 lounges are, there are significant structural and service related shortcomings that, taken together, add up to a missed opportunity. Though they are a significant improvement, and the artwork is world class.

Streets ahead of what we had in T4.

The nicest touch is, I think, the genuine Concorde Connolly leather seats in the Boardroom of the Concorde Business Centre.

M.Moose
    Participant

Cathay lounges in HK as well as Malaysia Airlines Golden Lounge in Kuala Lumpur.

Noticed that these lounges are slightly positioned differently from e.g. Singapore Airlines Lounges in Changi. The CX and MH lounges gives a great sense of open space with little corners for meals. CX in particular provides you enough room to move around, sense of privacy as well.

Was at the MH Lounge in Paris just last week – very miserable indeed.

DoorsToManual
    Participant

Without a doubt, QANTAS First Class lounge in Sydney. Great space, great food, great staff, views of the runways…simply the best!

Inquisitive
    Participant

Singapore Airlines Changi airport lounge will be among the best for following reasons – For first class, there is a valet service at check-in, the first class lounge employ cook to prepare hot food (from selection) and a bar where one could order great cocktails – although bar hours are limited. There are good showers, smokers room and a very good collection of newspaper and magazines. The food and drinks selection is quite good and for night flight it is ideal to have dinner in the lounge and then go straight to sleep in the plane. The business class lounge is a shade lower in facility – however there are enough seats hence one could get privacy. BA T5 business class lounge (south side) is ridiculas as to go there one has to go down 1 level after security check and then go up 3 levels. The lounge is crowded all the time – however there is plenty of drinks and snacks. The newspaper/magazine supply is not replenished easiliy. Someone indicated Frankfurt first class lounge – it is vey difficult to locate that for transit passengers – the signs are ridiculas.

stilllovethejumbo
    Participant

When the Cathay lounges in Hong Kong opened, they redefined the luxury air travel experience on the ground. There really hasn’t been anything that has come close. The incorporation of the lounge design (“the wing”), with the architecture of this impressive airport. Having said that, the lounge is showing wear and tear and doesn’t have the same “newness” it did five to seven years ago. Bringing the best of Hong Kong hospitality to service, run and cater the lounge with the Peninsula Hotel was a sheer masterstroke by Cathay Pacific. The fact that all oneworld emerald card holders have access to the first class lounge irresepective of oneworld carrier of travel.(unlike BA which has a seperate Gold lounge and the Concorde Room for first passengers only) is another major plus. The Cabanas in the wing and day break rooms in the pier are a great place for some privacy. I always manage to get 3-4hours of sleep in the wing cabana’s when I have a long layover. The noodlebar probably has the best lounge food I have ever tasted – fresh, simple and filling. Overall

cityprofessional
    Participant

1. Definitely the LH FCT in FRA. Actually the FCLs are pretty good too, both in FRA and MUC

2. VS Clubhouse in LHR

3. CX Wing and Pier

4. TG F lounge, well, the entire F experience (buggies, spas etc) rather than the lounge, per se, in BKK

By comparison, LHR T5 and SIN T3 are pretty “meh, whatever”. I’m in the EK F lounge in a couple of weeks time, but I’ve heard mixed reports – the restaurant and wine cellar look pretty good though

wisi1965
    Participant

I know a few 1st class lounges and must say the best was/is Lufthansa’s in Frankfurt.

BAGoldcard
    Participant

I am happy to nominate the BA T5 Galleries complex, which is really very good, especially the Gallery First and Concorde Room, with the cabanas. The quality of food and champagne/wine is (usually) very good.

The VS Clubhouse is good, and the food is very good. It is, however, a little “flash” for my taste, and the wine and champagne are not up to BA’s standards. The inability to help yourself to drinks is disappointing……The staff are of varying quality and responsiveness, but that can be said of most lounges! That said, this is the best part (after the car/check in at T3) and the rest of the VS experience is a serious of disappointments and poor quality!

The QF First lounge at SYD has great food and wine, view of the City and airport, although the seating areas are a little featureless and not that comfortable or private.

I have to make a positive comment regarding the shared lounge that BA use at BAH – surprisingly nice and comfortable.

Disappointments are the BA/QF lounges in BKK and SIN; whilst not bad they could be better.

KSHaggag
    Participant

I do agree and disagree with everybody ….i believe it is just your personal experience that makes you vote for a lounge over the other ,that s why our opinions do converge and diverge ………at the end ,we do agree on some common points ………….there is no doubt that the Lufthansa First Class Terminal in FRA is a top notch product ,though now 5 years old !!…………
    I heard about the new Fcl lounges in FRA and MUC but have not yet visited them ….hope will do soon ……..
    I noticed that nobody has evoked the Qatar Airways First Class terminal in Doha ……..head and shoulders above most competitors ground products ………..the Fcl zone is also most of the time serene and inspiring ,unlike the Ccl zone ……………

Before I wrap up ,let me pay tribute to the awesome Thai Airways First Class lounge in BKK ………ambience ,comfort ,spa facilities ,food ,etc………could say among the very best in the world …………!!..a lounge to fly for !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls