Best airport in the world?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

What is for you the best airport in the world, and why?

Swissdiver
    Participant

Please allow me to shoot first… 🙂 I go by continents (yes I should have written airportS in the question :-))

In the US, I love ATL because of its structure (a series of rectangular buildings linked by a train) that allows the huge traffic they face.

In Europe, this is clearly LHR T5 for its smoothness and efficiency.

In Asia (ex Middle East), my sample is a but smaller (may-be about 10 or 15 airports). So far HKG is clearly the best.

frustratedflyer
    Participant

I would say Singapore in Asia, Chicago in US (if I had to choose one), LHR T5 (but it is not an airport) so maybe Munich or Schipol in Europe, Dubai in Middle East

PatJordan
    Participant

I prefer Newark (in USA). In Europe, my favourite has to be Schipol: nice shopping and eating, and well laid out.

CharlesRhona
    Participant

Without a doubt the best airport in the world is Changi, Singapore. Well laid out, peaceful, excellent airport shopping, airside hotel, airside swimming pool and showers if lounge access not available, city tours on stopovers and most important minimal queues. I have been through immigration and found bags on the carousel within 15 minutes of landing. No problems ever encountered with access to and from the airport and staff always efficient and helpful.

Binman62
    Participant

CharlesRhona…Agreed. Changi is without doubt the worlds best airport and on so many levels.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

As this is a highly subjective question, with no parameters, I’ll choose Malta International Airport.

It has connections to most of the major cities I travel to frequently, e.g. Rome, Milan, London, Paris, Frankfurt, Munich, Brussels, Amsterdam, Cairo, Dubai, Moscow etc.

From arriving at the kerbside, to the lounge (with hand luggage) takes typcailly 5-10 minutes, although my record is 3 and from aircraft to exit (with hand luggage) is about 4-5 minutes.

You can still collect people without paying for parking and stay by your car 30 metres from the arrivals hall and the car parking is large enough and reasonably priced if needed.

For a small airport, the executive lounge is spacious, modern and smart, with free wifi (try getting that in a BA galleries lounge), 4 internet terminals and a printer, as well as a good selection of snacks and drinks.

Finally the vast majority of the staff, including security, are polite, helpful and friendly.

This is my local airport and I am a very satisfied user.

fatbear
    Participant

Atlanta is the only airport I have been to where you have to go through security on arrival. Why would I fly with dangerous weapons when after I can get them in Downtown Atlanta if i wanted ! Also, you retrieve your baggage so you can give it to security and then collect in a public area 5 stops away on the train !

They actually need an international terminal which is fully separated from the domestic terminals

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

It’s hard to argue with Changi, which is unfailingly efficient and does what it says on the tin. But it is a fairly easy airport to run (although large, it is for example all international flights).

If one is flying just domestic, some of the US West Coast airports (Portland, Phoenix, Seattle-Tacoma) have been spruced up and are now really very pleasant experiences. A recent 6-airport trip round the region offered me no queues (longest security line was 2 people), no delays, ample food, clean buildings, helpful staff. And landing to baggage to taxi was seldom more than a Changi-style 10-15 minutes. Those who only know East Coast US airports (Newark, for example?) might think the US cannot do public transportation, but in the West they certainly can.

thertsak
    Participant

it’s a tie between hkg and sin. hkg with its wonderful duty free brand names, variety of shops and very reasonable food prices. and sin with its great T3, super efficient immigration service and super fast luggage retrieval.

canucklad
    Participant

One of the most underated airports in the world has to be YVR-especially arriving Internationally

The whole experiance say’s alot for traditibal Canadian politeness, values & serenity

Faultless

Mind the AC Exec lounge is a bit cramped-still very friendly staff though

1) YVR
    2) AMS
    3) HKG

I actually used to like my local airport EDI-but the good people at BAA have turned it into a visit to my local shopping centre

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Thertsak

I am a Hong Kong resident and have lived in Singapore for years. HKG and SIN are certernly a tie for the best airports in the world.
    They both offer passengers a pleasant travel experience.

Just used SYD and SFO and they are not bad at all and certainly far better than most of the major airports in Europe where I use on a regular basis. Paying high passenger service charge/tax through the ticket prices and getting very little for it.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thats simple – Orlando Int. Once through immigration and onto that monorail. its time to holiday!

I also love the jetty at Gatwick, means I am on my way.

Choosing the best airport really depends on the day of the week. ANy airport running at capacity is a drag – to be honest, Luton or even T1 at Heathrow on a quiet day is a joy, Singapore on a busy morning is awful.

OzTraveller
    Participant

A very subjective question – what is the best airport in the world..
    What is “best” ? A regional airport with few flights a day so there’s plenty of parking; no crowds; no delays; quick and easy check-in; a coffee shop where there is always a clean table waiting … the list goes on.

However, taking your question in the spirit for which I assume it was intended, the answer without any dispute is Singapore Changi Airport., especially Terminal 3.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls