BA’s Shocking New Olympic “Slurry” Livery

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

In the early 90s, an aptly named Farmer Cannon visited his local NatWest and sprayed 18 tonnes of slurry on their offices in protest at the mismanagement of his account:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/4469961/The-muck-stops-here.html

This morning, BA unveiled its Olympic livery, selected by Tracey Emin. There are distinct similarities, even the tailfin looks like it’s had a close call with a dirty protest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17565838

It’s awful. Dreadful. Vile.

One can only imagine what The Baroness would have done.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/09/20/article-2039678-0E0199FF00000578-2_306x526.jpg

JordanD
    Participant

Well the Baroness was wrong then, and you are wrong now. But then, that’s the beauty of an opinion.

Sure, it’s not what I would have chosen for an Olympic design, but it is different and noticeable. A number of “Official Airlines” have done similar designs before – if memory serves me, the Air China plane from 2008 was in bright red with scales similar to a dragon.

But it is slightly pejorative to start a thread using the words “shocking” and “Slurry”: why not let the reader decide what they think?

As for the plane itself – the Union Flag in gold is very evocative and I quite like it.

CaptainGaz
    Participant

Vile!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed, the Baroness was right then, and as a consequence of her tissue protest, along with widespread public opinion and the confusion of those trying to identify BA aircraft while taxiing, the ethnic tailfins were wisely dropped.

Thankfully, this Marmite abomination is only on a baby airbus.

RichHI1
    Participant

Wow- looks like it has faded in the sun… I wonder if it will feature in the next commercial?

Not sure the Meryl Streep stuff is relevant as this is I hope temporary not a branding change. Mind you in her current state.she could be forgiven for not realizing it was a BA plane as a poster observes. I cannot help feeling better uses for marketing spend could have been made.

trident3
    Participant

er, VK, there’ll be nine of the ‘giant birdstrikes’ gracing our skies according to the press release !

CaptainGaz
    Participant

Nine of the same – you’re kidding? It’s hideous, non-British, non-Olympic and certainly nondescript! Terrible waste of funds if this is the result…no excitment, no ooh-ing or aaahh-ing, pitiful!

Designer was inspired “by the idea that an aircraft can often look like a bird when in flight” – ground breaking! What next, floral prints for Spring?!?

VintageKrug
    Participant

NINE!!! Dear God, no!

trident3
    Participant

“Tens of thousands of customers travelling to Europe over the next year will have the chance to fly on one of nine celebratory ‘Dove’ aircrafts”

(er, isn’t the plural of aircraft, aircraft, not aircrafts?)

Danwolf
    Participant

I saw the tail of a model airplane with the design as I passed by what appears to be the ‘pop-up’ location in Shoreditch yesterday, at first thinking it looked pretty cool. Now seeing the rest of it, I don’t think it looks too great (except the gold tail).

I do recall us having a debate as to whether we thought the multi-type tail designs BA did some time ago on here…must find that thread and see what people said back then and now…

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I think it’s rather smart. I’m not sure the pics do it justice as they are rather dark but on a bright day it will stand out and look amazing. I think they could have been a bit more creative with the tail and kept the feathers in to the flag. Well done BA.

trident3
    Participant

So there is, 3 votes so far, 2 no, 1 yes (that’d be me)

Tim2soza
    Participant

I’m utterly indifferent to the design, but no animals were hurt and no public money spent so hey ho.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls