BA’s 767s — Winglets

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• Potakas
    Participant

MichelAngelo,
    BA will replace the 757s with more A320s.

Here is the official press statement from BA,

http://press.ba.com/?p=631

Regards,

Potakas

Potakas
    Participant

I was wondering why BA choose to keep their 767s and sale 757s, as BA’s 757s are younger 5 years (http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/British%20Airways.htm)
    and there are avalaible winglets for 757s (openskies have been upgraded ).

VintageKrug
    Participant

There are only 3 757s left in the fleet now; G-CPER, S, T.

They are not really that old, having been manufactured and delivered between 1997 and 1998.

But they did require loose loading of baggage which is why you see them only at T3 and not T5.

They will go to FedEx for freighter conversion, so there’s (lucrative) life in these birds yet…

Senator
    Participant

Hi,

Didn’t some of the BA 757-200s get transferred to Open Skies? I take it they are not taking any more to expand?

I for one have great memories of the B767-300 from the early 90s when it was the standard journey from the US to CPH or OSL.

I enjoy the B757-200 due to its long frame and normal layout. It is still an aircraft in which I still feel the seperation of the premium cabin from the economy cabin. I like the BA config of the B757-200, I have been on it twice from MAD-LHR. Last time, I had the lovely Penelope Cruz behind me.

When it comes to winglets on the 767-300s, I know OS is in the process of installing these. A couple of their frames are really “hand-me-downs” some coming from retired KLM or Martinair fleets. I have come across these relics on the VIE-DEL run twice. Awful aircraft and seat made up for by excellent staff and F&B.

NTarrant
    Participant

I remember when the last EDI-LHR was operated by a 767 and inverably it was half full. Even MAN-LHR on a 767 full on a few occasions.

The three cabins on the 757’s are quite nice.

Hadn’t really thought about the 767 until reading this thread, looking forward to our trip in CE LHR-LCA in September.

binabdulaziz
    Participant

Mr Tarrant

I hope your experience to Cyprus better than mine in CE.

Worst flight I have with BA and I am big admirer of Club World.

NTarrant
    Participant

I am of course hoping Mr Binabdulaziz that the experience will be simular to the last Club Europe 767 flight we had LIS-LHR four years ago which was good.

About two years ago returned from YYZ-LHR on Club World on a 767 which was fine.

kazywazy
    Participant

Hi, I am thinking of taking a BA flight from Heathrow to Turks and Caicos which is a 12 hour flight. I have noticed the aircraft they use for this trip is a 767 300 Er, which i understand is a very old plane. Could someone please give me their opinion on their safety and comfort.
    Many Thanks

Karen

VintageKrug
    Participant

I would not automatically equate an “old” plane with a safety concern; it is more about the quality of the maintenance provided.

BA’s fleet is in general one of the best maintained in the world, and while there have been some instances of poorly maintained interiors on the 767 shorthaul fleet (especially on the Moscow services) there is no similar issue with the longhaul 767 fleet.

You can see the age of the fleet here:

http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/British%20Airways-active-b767.htm

I am not certain whether that information is wholly accurate, as I don’t think BA has that many 767s still in active service.

In an era when most airframes can be expected to give 20-25 years passenger life (and then a good few more years in cargo service), the older examples are indeed somewhat venerable coming up for 20 years’ service, but I am pretty sure those are the aforementioned shorthaul variants.

The longhaul fleet are more like 11-12 years old and so not especially “old” in airline terms.

You will find the 767 has three classes of service; World Traveller, World Traveller Plus (premium economy) and Club World. These aircraft are no equipped with the very latest “New Club World” but still have fully flat Club World beds (the sort which were on the other aircraft in the fleet 3+ years ago).

These aircraft do however have AVOD installed so you can stop and start movies whenever you prefer, and all seats in all classes have individual seat back TVs.

I would have zero concerns about the safety of any British Airways aircraft.

kazywazy
    Participant

Hi Vintagekrug, thank you so much for taking time to answer my post. I wanted to take my parents, my husbands parents and my 2 young children to Turks and Caicos to renew our wedding vows next April so with all of my family on board I was a little concerned regarding the 767, especially when I read that BA are replacing 14 out of the 21 old planes in 2012, I would book World Traveller Plus, but did not want to travel on a 20 year old plane across the ocean, I am a very bad airline passenger so when I read “old” I get a litte concerned, I have even been on the Virgin “Fear Of Flying” course but I still am afraid. Any tips to overcome my fear !

kazywazy
    Participant

ps; why did you wish the 767 went from their fleet ?

Stowage222
    Participant

kazywazy – You should make sure BA knows about your fear of flying as this will be noted on the passenger information list for the crew. They will look after you on board and answer any questions you may have. It also helps that you are travelling with family who can support you. As VK says, you need not worry about the aircraft as whilst they may look ‘old technology’, they perform very well and are well suited to transatlantic operations. This aircraft will, however, be replaced once the B787 is introduced to the fleet.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I wished they would go because the shorthaul variants are just a bit scruffy inside, and they are not the most fuel efficient birds; they were scheduled to be replaced by the 787, but as these deliveries keep being delayed a few months there was initially little point in sorting out the interiors; with the 787s now further delayed I understand BA is speaking to Boeing about refurbishing the interiors of the shorthaul examples.

There is however no similar concern for the longhaul 767s; they don’t fly on my regular routes, but I did take one to Newark in 2007-ish and found it a very pleasant interior, and no complaints at all (apart from the fact they are a tad slower than the 747). The layout in Club is actually rather better than on a 777 IMHO.

What an exciting vacation to Turks & Caicos! I think you would be better off sticking with a BA aircraft as it is a direct flight (so only one take off/landing) BA engineering is among the best quality going, and most of this fleet have been owned by BA their entire lives, which should give further comfort.

Availability for upgrades on this services is modest, but do remember you can upgrade from WT+ to Club World for just 12,500 BA Miles per sector, which might be a nice treat. You might also consider buying 200 BA Shares today which would *just* get you on the shareholder register in time to qualify for a 10% discount for these flights. The next BA sale is likely to be on Boxing Day so you might consider delaying your purchase until then, though of course there’s no guarantee that the fare will be cheaper then.

The fear of flying courses are excellent, but like any irrational fear (often passed down from close family members!) there is little more you can do other than try and “own” your fear and learn as much as you can about what keeps an aircraft aloft.

As someone who regularly flew on 30+ year old aircraft from a very young age, and has probably flown about 1m miles in the past few years, I suppose I am living proof that the potential for disaster is remote, and as many large aircraft incidents over the past few years have proven even if the worst happens, planes are very well designed and passengers stand a much improved chance of walking away unscathed than was the case 40 years ago.

Potakas
    Participant

Kazywazy, i completely agree with those VK mentioned above. of course and we are not talking about safety issues.

About the fear you have, my mother had the same issue and she participated on a program from Austrian Airlines, she is now comfortable about flighting. I couldn’t find any link about that but if you interest i suggest you to call them to find out more.

Regards

Potakas

kazywazy
    Participant

You both have been very helpful, thankyou x

Me being me just thought a 20 year old plane would conk out half way across the sea!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls