BA’s 767s — Winglets

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

• Anonymous

Potakas
    Participant

I was wondering why BA hasn’t upgrade their 767s with winglets,as they are seeking to reduce their costs,

If anyone else is curious i found an article where WW speaking about what BA is planning to do:

British Airways is trying to nudge Boeing and Rolls-Royce to provide a winglet modification for the flag-carrier’s Boeing 767-300ER fleet, although the relatively small size of its fleet could prove an obstacle.

The airline’s fleet of 21 aircraft – of which 13 are in long-haul configuration – are fitted with Rolls-Royce RB211 engines, in contrast to the Pratt & Whitney and General Electric powerplants fitted to almost all other 767s.

BA chief executive Willie Walsh, speaking to ATI at an event in London, said that the airline was “gently pushing” both the airframer and the engine manufacturer for the upgrade.

While there is a supplemental type certificate for winglets on the P&W- and GE-powered 767, the RB211 engines generate a different wing loading, says Walsh.

He wants Boeing to pay for the development, although he says he “understands” that the manufacturer could be reluctant to fund a program for a limited number of aircraft.

He says that BA’s fleet is relatively young, at about 13-14 years, and the 767s could provide at least another six years’ service to the carrier.
    Winglets would provide a substantial fuel saving, he says, and create a case for retaining the aircraft in the fleet to give BA additional flexibility even as it introduces its intended 767 replacement, the 787.

“Clearly the sooner it’s done, the better,” he says. “If this [modification] had been available two years ago, we would have done it then.”
    Qantas operates seven RB211-powered 767s, but the carrier took the twin-jets from the BA fleet. China Eastern Airlines also has a handful of 767s with Rolls-Royce engines.

Unfortunately i didn’t find anything about what BA is planning with the 777-200s and the new -300ERs. Although i read that that on 777-300ERs they are using raked wingtip (which is something different)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingtip_device#Raked_wingtip

Most important:

”Aviation Partners Boeing explains the estimated fuel reduction consumption of the blended winglets designed for the 767-300ER is 6.5%, which results in a 500,000 gallon reduction in jet fuel per aircraft annually for operators with the highest aircraft utilization and the longest average sector lengths.”

VintageKrug
    Participant

Frankly, I hope they get rid of the 767s from the fleet altogether.

Potakas
    Participant

I couldn’t believe it when i read :

”He says that BA’s fleet is relatively young, at about 13-14 years, and the 767s could provide at least another six years’ service to the carrier.”

EU_Flyer
    Participant

I think the important word was ‘relatively’.

VK, I don’t know about you, but I love getting a seat up the back of those old 76’s, with their circa 1992 blue(ish) cloth trim and rickety tray tables.

Almost worth trying Y class just for the experience.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

I can’t imagine VK’s seat ever being behind the wings or even close to them, let alone at the back of the bus!

Like VK I wish they would just get rid of them. Fans of ceiling mounted CRT TVs may disagree.

PaulJennings
    Participant

Poor old 767. Spurned for the cheap thrill of a young A321…

If you want a retro experience, clamber into one of the 757s operating, er, selected routes to and from LHR T3. I noticed the PA control panel from my seat a few weeks ago, and the word ‘bakelite’ came into my mind. Nice separate front cabin though.

Travellator
    Participant

Fly the 757 from T3 to Malaga regularly.

It is still a fine aircraft especially at the pointy end in the seperate cabin.

Its rate of climb when the pilot has his wellies on is impressive.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The final few 757s will leave the fleet in late October.

Travellator
    Participant

I remember my first flight in one – Belfast Aldergrove to LHR.

Climbed to 35000 then descended. No cruise !

35000 was unheard of for a domestic flight way back then !

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

I always liked the separate cabin section layout of the 757 on the Super Shuttle routes, which also included some flights on the other domestic destinations instead of a 737. The current open plan layout of the A320 series is more akin to the cram them in approach of the LCCs.

BA even had a 767 on some of the peak LHR / EDI services for a while.

Thomas Cook has some 757-300s for the ultimate length to width experience. Separate cabin sections too, just a pity you have to buy your own wine.

Travellator
    Participant

Nothing like a bit of nostalgia.

BA used to run TriStars on the Belfast route and always at Christmas when they had to double the timetable and use a hangar as a departure lounge( in the height of our troubles ) Concorde used to make an appearance and do one flight !

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

And on the subject of nostalgia, the Tap and Spile in LHR T1 landside was a welcome oasis after the hour on the Piccadilly line (not everything changes!). The current Skylark is ok but just doesn’t have anywhere near the range of domestic destinations for the departures announcer to start naming the last 3 passengers (who would be sitting opposite you with another round just up!)…

PaulJennings
    Participant

I ll miss the 757 rockets. What is replacing them, more Airbuses?

Travellator
    Participant

I also remember the VC10 from Amman to LHR.

Also the Viscount from Belfast to sumburgh and at least 3 other scottish airports on the way – shortest hop I think was about 10 mins.

Or Dan Air from Bristol to Belfast !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls