Bangkok Political Unrest

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 179 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

AMW thanks for the link and John thanks for your reassuring live update.

Last time this happened it was all very friendly but when the marches came down Sukhumvit, it was touch and go whether I would make my flight.

esselle
    Participant

I’ve got a couple of nights booked at the Four Seasons next week.

I so hope this does not develop into another long and costly stand-off.

Tramor01
    Participant

I’m going to be in BKK on the 10th and at the moment see no reason to change my plans. I was there several times during the previous demonstrations around Siam and Sukhumvit and didn’t have any problems.

Swissdiver
    Participant

While it is currently peaceful, things can turn bad in the coming couple of days. So I wouldn’t be worried to be there after the Kink’s anniversary, but would, if possible, delay a trip to BKK until then.

MarcusUK
    Participant

This situation is coming to a head (see BT’s article on the recent advice. FCO also worth checking).

Personally and for insurance purposes, I would not go out of the airport area if stopping over, or change my itinerary and avoid Bangkok city.

No wearing of red, or yellow colours, not to go into shopping malls, night curfews, Police stepping up with the army, tear gas and two shot dead. The ultimatum for the Prime Minister to leave within 48 hrs means nothing will settle in the near future..

Your insurances will not cover you, in places of political unrest or riots.

Having travelled there often or via there, this is another period for extreme caution if considering travelling to the country. Outbreaks in other places has taken place before, where tourists are.

I would not travel, Airlines will defer or change your ticket for you, it would be foolish to think travel or life is normal in one part or another of the country, with the army and police out.

JohnHarper
    Participant

MarcusUK – 02/12/2013 11:38 GMT

Stop spreading ill informed alarmist views. I am in Bangkok at present and have just been joined by my wife. There is nothing to be concerned about unless you go looking for problems and anyone remotely au fait with Bangkok knows where to stay away from.

TominScotland
    Participant

Swissdiver

On a lighter note, as a child of the ’60s, I was thrilled to note your reference to “the Kink’s anniversary” – do you mean, “The Kinks’ Anniversary” and, if you do, please let us know more about what is planned to commemorate ‘Sunny Afternoon’ and ‘Waterloo Sunset’……

millionsofmiles
    Participant

I was there during the demonstrations/riots in 2009 (privately)..and finally moved out of BKK to Chiang Mai for a week, because I need regular medical treatment and I didnt want to endanger that.

But then usually tourists are neither harmed nor drawn into the demos.

The airport at that time, meaning transport, lounge and departure were perfect, as usual.

MarcusUK
    Participant

The facts are as stated, reported on the BBC this morning, and now.
    It is not overstated, but i suppose if you are sitting in your 5 star hotel, rarely leaving it, away from the poverty of Bangkok and the mass demonstrations of ordinary people, of course you may not be bothered.

Not so many people would consider it sensible, safe or advisable to carry on as normal, to enter any city where such political unrest was about to topple the Government. Army and Police and Curfews on the streets does indicate political unrest, no matter how reported.

23 countries have updated their travel advice to visiting Bangkok.
    I remember well, numerous threads on here for people caught up in previous years, and also floods etc in Bangkok. Insurance Companies were not covering travellers choosing to enter a city in civil unrest.

I know Bangkok reasonably well,over many years, twice there this year. I also know Colleagues all over the region. All are aware of visitors that also immerse themselves in the exclusive hotels, and never see or choose to be aware of all aspects of living in the city, especially of the most poor, looking up at such hotels.
    Ethical travel is also a responsibility.

Hong Kong has advised citizens Not to travel into Bangkok, as issued over the weekend.
    Amex will NOT cover travellers who go into the areas, confirmed today by a phone call to them to check.

Let us hope that the situation for all settles, as it has done repeatedly over 20 years in Thailand, with Coups, and changes in Government. Perhaps the army or police will decide to take another side.
    Shame The King could not intervene as he has done before, perhaps he is too frail these days, but highly respected as always.

It will come to a head in the following days. Indeed its escalation today reported worldwide, with the Prime MInister behind concrete barriers, protected only with the army and Police at the moment, says it all.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Marcus – which Amex cover do you have because if that is the case, no insurance, my decision will be made will be made for me

I have just emailed Plat card as I prefer these kind of “cover” questions answered in writing…

I also note that BA have no warnings (yet) on their website..

UPDATED – I decided to call Amex as your message concerned me. Their (Axa Claims, who handle the Amex claims) answer was there are currently NO insurance restrictions for travel to Bangkok/Thailand. I called the emergency number 01293 82 09 25 as the Amex based insurance office closed at 5.30pm (UK)

uk_expat_aus1
    Participant

Marcus – it is worth remembering that this site is about air travel and business travel.

Accordingly, you may want to jump down of your high horse as it is not wanted, nor needed, here…….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have a stated interest in this thread and have no issue with the content of Marcus’s posts – as long as they are accurate and correct.

Swissdiver
    Participant

@Tomin: Oups 🙂 King’s it was…

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Marcus:

“Ethic travel is also a responsibility”

So now, could you elaborate on this fine statement, regarding Bangkok?

I was there at least 50 times in the last 30+ years and I do know there is poverty…but if you’d seen Bangkok 30 years ago, you wouldnt be that highnosed. The thais have managed to build an amazin level of an average lifestyle, for most.

But, do you mean, a traveller/visitor/biz traveller should camp out in the street to “see the poverty” and this show his “responsibility”?

JasonMyers
    Participant

Marcus, Poverty in Bangkok? As millionsofmiles has elaborated 30 years ago there was poverty, but not really today! No one goes hungry in Thailand, let alone in the capital! If you want to see real poverty I suggest a trip to the Philippines, where even in Manila it is very apparent.

Bangkok is a large city and the protests are in pocket areas far from most 3-5 star hotels. Ramkhamgheang Road and Government house are the main trouble spots (although I know many farang expats do reside around that area – English teachers mainly) and they are not on the tourist routes.

At this time, it is safe to travel around Bangkok, although I would agree, don’t wear red or yellow (even though Thai’s wear yellow in respect for the King) and stay away from protest areas. I would suggest staying around hotels in the Sukhumvit or riverside areas, where close access to the tollway, is a good idea. There is no need to panic or spread fear like wildfire.

As someone who previously worked in both hotels and the media, I have seen many protests and clashes over the years! The worst was of course the violent red shirt mob at Lumpini and Centralworld that terrorized and destroyed much of the beautiful areas and buildings around there.

The protests against General Suchinda in the early 90’s were very frightening too, when the security forces opened fire on students and protesters and many died until the King intervened! At that time, it was frightening just for the fact that different army regiments were supporting different elements and civil war almost broke out, as General Chavalit Yongchaiyut sent his troops to Bkk to defend the protesters.

Today the problem is that the police support the red shirts and the army the yellow shirts although the army is trying to stay as neutral as possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 179 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls