Bangkok Political Unrest

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)

• Anonymous

Moadweeb
    Participant

Dear Members,

My wife and I plan to visit Bangkok for a short holiday this weekend. I am a bit concerned with the news of the Political unrest currently ongoing. Could someone who stays in Bangkok let me know if there is anything to worry about ?

The last time something like this happened in Bangkok, they had closed the airports !

Thanks,
    Moadweeb

JasonMyers
    Participant

Actually, no they did not close the airport last time, but there was a lot of attacks and disobedience from the red shirts. The airport was closed several years ago by the yellow shirts. Anyway, Bangkok is perfectly safe for tourists as long as you stay away from the protest areas. it’s a big city that welcomes tourists, the airport will never be closed down again, don’t worry!

Moadweeb
    Participant

Jason : thanks, but I am a bit wary commuting from the airport to the City..Can you be sure where the protests are being held and will the protest have a cascading effect on the city ?

Also, is there a chance of escalation to a limit where the city is closed down ?

CNN.com has already mentioned above travel advisory issued by several consulates..

Cheers,
    Moadweeb

dsatrio
    Participant

I was in BKK last weekend when the protests took place. I felt completely safe, though, because all went peacefully. The biggest protest I heard was around the Victory Monument. There was a small one in Silom area, which I saw while passing by. I didn’t feel unsafe or threatened in any way.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I travel to BKK regularly and don’t think you need have undue cause for alarm. If you are nervous about the airport transfer, arrange a hotel car. This will cost a little more, but should give you some additional peace of mind.

The disputes here are entirely internal – Thai against Thai, not Thai against foreigner – and Thais are very well aware of how important tourism is to their economy. Just take care not to wear a red or yellow shirt while wandering around (these being the colours that signifiy supporters of the opposing camps) – it is highly unlikely that this will cause any problems, but all the same it is a very easy way of avoiding any possible misunderstanding

JasonMyers
    Participant

Bangkok never closes, even during the red shirt campaign a couple of years back when violence was at an all time high, other areas of the city were continuing as normal. What hotel or area are you planning on staying in, then I can advise a little better? I would advise at present to stay around Sukhumvit/Silom areas as its easy access from the airport and avoid Victory Monument area and anywhere near government buildings. Alternatively, head towards Hua Hin or Pattaya and enjoy the beach away from any political threat!

Moadweeb
    Participant

Jason,

I am planning to stay next to Siam Paragon Mall or at the Hyatt Erawan.

..Moadweeb

JasonMyers
    Participant

Siam Paragon is not that far from Victory monument but is far enough away not to be affected by anything otherthan increased traffic. Hyatt Erawan would be fine as would the Intercontinental which would be my recommendation 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have no plans to delay my trip next week.. but I may vary my daily run.. around BKK.

The Westin (Sukhumvit soi 19) is a particularly good and safe hotel. The reception floor on are level 7 and the hotel can secure the building quite easily by reducing the number of access lifts from ground to level 7 (4 lifts).

norbert2008
    Participant

Was there the other week…traffic is bad whatever is going on……Saw the one in Silom from skytrain….all you need is ear defenders!

capetonianm
    Participant

I was in BKK a few years ago when there was a ‘coup’ (2006 I think). At no time did I feel even remotely threatened or uncomfortable and there were very few visible signs of activity, other than around government buildings which we were warned to steer clear of.

If I hadn’t watched the news on CNN or BBC WS or whichever dire international news channel they put into hotel rooms, and if I had not read the notice from the hotel management, I would probably never have even known about the coup!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Sky News and CNN are reporting an increase in the rioting. Can anyone in BKK provide an update and whether there are any “risks”, not being reported.

Am due to travel later this week….

AMcWhirter
    Participant

BBC is now reporting that Thai troops have been deployed on the streets of Bangkok.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25173348

JohnHarper
    Participant

Martyn, I’m currently in the Peninsula, there is no sign of protest around here and I believe as usual it’s all quite close to the Victory Monument. I would have no concerns about coming out and as I type, Mrs JH is on her way out to join me and will be here early tomorrow morning.

Also do remember it’s the King’s birthday this week, protests such as these are will stop for that – it would be very disrespectful to protest on the King’s birthday, quite unthinkable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls