Bangkok Political Unrest

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 166 through 179 (of 179 total)

• Moadweeb
    Participant

LuganoPirate/FlyingCanadian/HarryMonk..

Thanks for the inputs..

I did not know Thai flies the Dreamliner..I wish it was to India.

I unfortunately am flying Jet Airways who are downgrading their aircraft as their competition is upgrading. !!

As an example, SQ ,has started partial A380 to Mumbai from Singapore

whereas

Jet Airways has removed the A330/A320 and downgraded to a domestic 737-800 or 737-900 for both their flights ! ! ! Prices on Jet Airways remain the same as before..What the hell is Jet Airways thinking ? Or maybe, not thinking..?

Sorry for the ranting but they are making it more difficult to keep loyal customers like me…Either get the prices down or upgrade the aircraft..

FlyingCanadian : thanks for the note on the Curfew Timings..We will be in the Patong beach area & will grab a Nutella-Crepe from the streets before the Curfew..:)

Cheers,
    Moadweeb.

BigDog.
    Participant

Am finding more (accommodation) availability in Bangkok less availability elsewhere. Basically people are still going to Thailand in near to the usual numbers but many are spending relatively little time in Bangkok.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am travelling out next week. With the curfew relaxed in BKK from midnight to 4pm, I feel more comfortable as I will not need to shorten evening dinner meetings.

I am wondering what will happen during the World Cup and whether the curfew will be relaxed further in BKK, to allow the sports bars to remain open. I am sure the Westin will be showing all the games but hope the bars will be open to cover all games etc.

Out of interest, are the hotel doors actually locked or just guarded during the curfew… what will happen if you do venture out, even just to get some fresh air….. have any tourists/business people been caught after hours, outside???

AsiaPacific
    Participant

Hotels doors are not locked and you’re free to wander but subject to being stopped and questioned. Need to carry passport at all times now generally but especially at night. I’m guessing things will be more relaxed during the world cup due to thai’s obsession with football.

first_class_please
    Participant

Same curfew here currently in Chiang Mai.

Very busy around town and the Saturday market last night was full of tourists.

There was however a very large police and military presence at each end of the market, which I understand is to ensure no demonstrations are held in areas frequented by tourists.

All seems very safe and well.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

flyingcanadian, as I recall, the Bangkok Post at the weekend said the curfew in Phuket had been lifted completely. Can’t be certain about that, however.

Moadweeb, sorry to hear about the Jet downgrade. I flew Jet Mumbai-SIN last year and loved it on the A330. Trip report at http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Jet-Airways-A330-200-Premiere-(business)

Martyn – I don’t believe hotel entrances are blocked, as quite apart from anything else people might need to get to or from the airport (which is an exception to the curfew restrictions). I gather that if you are doing so during curfew hours, it is important to carry a printed copy of your ticket/itinerary with you so that you can show it at any roadblocks and prove that you are able to fall within that exception

My incoming flight to BKK was going to arrive within the original curfew hours. As it happened, the change in the hours meant I was no longer affected, but to be on the safe side if you are going to close to those curfew hours it would probably be sensible to arrange a hotel car rather than relying on taxis, since I suspect they may be in short supply. In the good old days we would have used the AOT (Airport Authority) limousines since they are cheaper than hotel cars, but they seem to have stopped taking advance remote bookings – you can only pre-book them at the airport (i.e. the Memsahib couldn’t do an on-line or phone booking, but when she and Senior Offspring arrived at the airport in the morning she was able to make a booking to meet my flight later in the day, and also to book our return trip to the airport from the hotel)

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi Ian from HKG.

Yes, you are correct. NO CURFEW IN PHUKET. So if there are any “bloggers” going to HKT this summer, you are able to come and go at will. The island really needs tourists, so the army has lifted the curfew. However, they have clamped down on “Illegal taxis” and destroyed all the taxi stands around, Patong, Kata, Karon Beach and just north of Patong. Enjoy your vacation, and we’ll be there for 6 weeks this summer!!

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi Moadweeb.

My son and I are flying on a B777 leased to Turkish Airlines, but owned by Jet Airways. What kind of service can we expect in Business Class, Please? I know they have flat seats to sleep, but is it Jet crew or Turkish crew.
    A memo to a blogger from 2013, the Business class fare from ARN TO BKK is ONLY UK£1000 this year, whilst you had one at £2,000!
    Thai Airways is offering UK£1500 return to HKT from ARN!
    A lot of good deals around!!
    Happy flying.

Moadweeb
    Participant

FlyingCanadian,

I will be in HKT ( Patong ) from 24-30/June..

The B777 leased to Turkish is an excellent aircraft but I do not think that Jet Airways has any agreement for a crew transfer also ( Wet Lease ) is what I think that is called.

The seats are superb since all have aisle access and are 100% lie Flat. In the Jet Airways operated flights they used to serve Hot Popcorn anytime you wanted and that was delicious while watching a movie..

The screens are quite big and nice, again I have no idea on the content which Turkish will make available but the quality of Video is quite good.

I hope they activate Wi-Fi on your flight since Jet Airways did not have this option available.

Let us know how your flight was..

Cheers & Thanks,
    Moadweeb.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi Moadweeb,

Thanks for the info, and I will certainly give you feedback re the flight. I am a Widowed Pensioner with a 12yrs old son, and he will like the “popcorn”.
    Unfortunately, our schools do not break up until July,(but do not go back until 15th Sept), so June is too early for us, and perhaps still in the monsoon season. Enjoy your vacation nevertheless!

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Just flew in again and first impression that its…shush…quiet.

Eti flight from T4 to Abu Dhabi was about 90% full but the second leg from A.D.to Krungthrep was the opposite at about 90% empty…

Geat flight everyone got 3/4 seats to get their heads down plus great service…another G&T plus a Heineken..please….err save your feet and make it 2 x…YES….Certainly sir….

Immigration at Bangkok Airport took at least all of 2 minutes and we were over the upstairs “barriers”and in our (wifes friends )Taxi about 10 minutes later.

Back in Samut Prakarn the owner of the small “market Restaurant”that we use a lot confirmed that ” nothing has changed” although there was not a lot of traffic about so will see..Heineken was iced cold and her food is …aroy mak mak……

so…..Mucky Duck tonight (Black Swan )…and run down to check out cowboy……..and indians…..MPrai

MartynSinclair
    Participant

First night here and bingo:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/415205/curfew-lifted-across-thailand

…only problem, watching the football already in my room 🙁

LuganoPirate
    Participant

They knew you were coming Martyn 😉

weescotsguy66
    Participant

Curfew is now lifted now have a little happiness and go watch the free to air football curtsey of the Junta / Military.

Viewing 14 posts - 166 through 179 (of 179 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls