Bali- Lion Air overshoots runways into sea

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

• IamSpartacus
    Participant

early info report

A Boeing 737-800 passenger plane, registered PK-LKS, suffered an accident at Bali’s Denpasar-Ngurah Rai Bali International Airport (DPS) in Indonesia. According to Lion Air there were 101 passengers and seven crew members on board. All aboard survived.
    Flight JT-904 departed Bandung Airport (BDO) at 12:48 on a domestic flight to Denpasar. At the time of the approach there were Cumulonimbus clouds in the area. The wind direction began to change rapidly, varying between 110 and 270 degrees. According to eyewitnesses it was raining in the approach path as flight 904 descended over sea toward Denpasar’s runway 09.
    According to the Ministry of Transportation, the airplane came down in the water just short of the runway while on final approach to runway 09.

Weather reported about the time of the accident (07:15 UTC / 15:15 LT) was:

WADD 130800Z 10009KT 9999 FEW017CB SCT017 30/26 Q1007 NOSIG
    WADD 130730Z 15006KT 110V270 9999 FEW017CB SCT017 30/25 Q1007 NOSIG
    [07:30 UTC / 15:30 LT: Wind 150°, varying between 110 and 270° at 6 knots; unlimited visibility; few Cumulonimbus clouds at 1700 feet AGL; scattered clouds at 1700 feet AGL; Temperature: 30°C; Dewpoint: 25°C; Pressure: 1007 mb]
    WADD 130700Z 09006KT 9999 BKN017 30/26 Q1007 NOSIG

Sources:
    » Antara

IamSpartacus
    Participant

now can we all just learn to get along please?

canucklad
    Participant

The few times I’ve been to Bali have always resulted in harsh landings, whether it was on a 330 or a 747….and one of the few times I’ve questioned the wisdom of taking off in a severe thunderstorm also happened at Denpansar….

On a lighter note…watching our landing via the on-board camera’s, after touchdown I looked out the window to see a largish mongrel dog, appear from a near by ditch and then re-appear on the IFE screen chasing the nose wheels….a very brave dog indeed !

Although it does bring into question how well the runways are managed, if a large mutt can terrorise a jumbo!

CXDiamond
    Participant

I’ve flown into DPS on many occasions, I’ve never noticed anything unusual about landings or takeoffs that I wouldn’t notice anywhere else, sometimes the weather is less than good and heavy rain and strong winds can play their parts but I’ve encountered far worse in other places e.g. HKG.

We’ll just have to wait for the official report.

SimonS1
    Participant

Thank you Marcus. By now everyone reading this will have figured out that despite your expert analysis of the runway being “dodgy” there appear to be no recorded runway incidents at all at the airport.

And despite your 747 ending up sideways 10 metres from the sea with baggage flying from the lockers the plane just taxied on back to the gate an no-one heard any more about it.

I’m surprised you fly there if the whole thing is so dangerous.

Those are the facts, it appears.

BigDog.
    Participant

737s under scrutiny “after identifying potentially faulty parts that could result in pilots losing control of the aircraft”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/apr/15/boeing-737-faa-orders-inspection

Edski777
    Participant

Simon, a little bit more respect for other people and people’s opinion would be deeply appreciated. On this forum everyone is entiteld to his or her opinions and there is no need to harass people if you see things differently.
    Let’s try to keep things civil. There is no need to get personal here.

On the facts of flying in Indonesia and records kept I partly agree with Marcus. despite the rapid expansion of certain airlines like Lion Air the situation is nowhere near the situation in Europe or the US. Airports and airlines seem save to the innocent traveller, but incidents do occur at a higher rate than travellers in the west have come to expect.
    Many incidents without casualties hardly seem to make it to Europe or the USA. Nevertheless quite a number of airlines have been banned from the EU. That must be an indication.
    I have travelled through the Indonesian archipelago a number of times and have felt very uneasy on several flights during take off and landing.
    Old planes, leaky A/C on board, overhead bins kept closed with duct tape, reports of recurring engine failures in mid flight by local people, very nervous cabin crews, etc.
    The situation that Marcus described with the 747 landing is not that much out of the ordinairy. Not everything makes it to the newsreels.
    And why do people still travel there? It’s a beautiful country with great people. Well worth a visit. Airlines and operations are improving, partly because of foreign technical aid, I know KLM with Garuda and Boeing are very active there, but it will take a while.

I can only repeat my personal warning: visit the country, but be careful who you fly with.

angus45
    Participant

This link may provide a better insight into the possible cause.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/04/14/uk-indonesia-plane-idUKBRE93D0D520130414

TominScotland
    Participant

On the subject of Indonesian airlines, Garuda have announced their schedule for services between Gatwick and Jakarta with very attractive timing for onward connection to Sydney – all on their new 777-300ER aircraft. It is not showing yet on the Garuda booking site (only LHR is offered as an option) but it will be interesting to see what fares are on offer. See

http://airlineroute.net/2013/04/17/ga-lgwsyd-w13/

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The initial report has now been published in The Aviation Herald.

I must stress it is the preliminary report. But pilot error appears to be the cause..

http://avherald.com/h?article=460aeabb/0006&opt=0

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m surprised Lion Air can still find insurance?

SimonS1
    Participant

No mention of the “dodgy runway” then?

MarcusUK
    Participant

Edski777 made the points clear and it is refreshing to have views or people who actually fly around the world, and direct personal experience of these areas.

Ironically a Collegue Dr attending a medical Conference a week ago, mailed to say she had arrived well with KLM. “However, the landing was a bit rapid, and needing much engine power to bring us to a stop. The staff always joke about the landings at Bali!”

SimonS1
    Participant

But you would presumably agree your original rather sensational report of the plane overshooting and going off the end of the “dodgy runway” was somewhat wide of the mark?

And that actually the plane undershot the runway due to pilot error in not going around in poor visibility?

Funnily enough I had a rather rapid stop recently going in to Gibraltar although luckily we avoided the sideways skid and all disembarked safely.

Edski777
    Participant

Gentlemen, incidents happen every day, but they don’t necessarily turn into accidents that subsequently are reported on.

Travelling to third world countries has its charms, or the occasional scare. The last thing seem to happen more often in these countries than in the first world countries. But airtravel anywhere is still a lot safer than getting to and from the airport. In case of Bali? Every time I am there and I get to the airport in one piece I know I am 99% home, safe and sound.

Until the opposite is established let’s assume the pilot of the Lion Air Boeing was unlucky and the passengers were lucky to escape relatively unharmed. As the people in Bali strongly believe: it’s all in the hands of the Gods (The majority are Hindoes and they have many Gods)

It makes life a little more pleasant for all.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls