Babies in premium cabins

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 271 total)

• Stanley1
    Participant

PatJordan -it isn’t particularly well known (even by travel agents) but Walt Disney World in Florida have a policy in place to help visitors with conditions such as autism.

https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/dlr/help/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/Disney-Parks-Disability-Access-Service-Card-2014-04-10.pdf

WDW can also programme their Magic Bands to include the DASC details.

Flyerboy1
    Participant

Never mind babies, I’ve seen grown women and adults having actual meltdowns when there’s been no salmon starter left, lol, and damn right rude towards the crew, what on earth are they supposed to do, stop off and get some, it is a mode of public transport yes with nice seats, but end of day we are all up there together, not much can be done but grab yourself a pair of headsets and a g&t.

PatJordan
    Participant

Stanley1, that’s very helpful indeed. Many thanks.

MarkieMark99
    Participant

Hello all, I have been an avid reader of this forum for a couple of years now and thought this thread was a good time to add my twopennies-worth. I can’t comment on how children and their parents should or shouldn’t behave on planes (having no children of my own), but generally, I find that a good quality pair of in-ear headphones and some music helps me deal with the noise challenge from our younger flyers. I use in-ear as oppose to on-ear cans so that if necessary, I can sleep with them on. Works most of the time…..

Graemeo1
    Participant

I think the answers in the name – ‘Business Class’ as in travelling on Business. you wouldn’t take your kids to work or to a Business meeting.

Im a corporate travel agent and have a high-end client who regularly fly’s First or Business…..along with his nanny and kids in Economy! I do think customers should be allowed children in First Class but at full fare. This would act as a deterrent itself.

When you total up a family of 4 travelling First Class at Full Fare, they’d almost be aswell hiring a private jet….or even buying one of it’s a regular need!

GivingupBA
    Participant

Graemeo1, I respect your opinion, “I think the answers in the name – ‘Business Class’ as in travelling on Business. you wouldn’t take your kids to work or to a Business meeting”, but I disagree with you. A business class cabin is not “work”, or a “business meeting”, for everyone. And the airlines do not sell it as such – if they wanted to restrict it in that way, why don’t they stop anyone but business people who are working from booking the cabin?

Many people fly on pleasure trips in business class, and I suggest that they should be allowed to do so, as long as they can pay, until/ unless the airlines restrict entry to them [and/ or children, which seems to your point].

AlisonL1982
    Participant

I couldn’t reply for 24 hours before which is why I didn’t post. I totally get people’s frustration about kids in business so I’ve had a different train of thought since my original post. My child is a gem and super well behaved but since there are enough parents that aren’t that lucky I appreciate the debate

GordyUK
    Participant

I do agree with you Alison.. I’ve been on 2 flights where the children must have been raised by Mary Poppins. They were better behaved than the parents.

I think in all of this (for me anyway), the issue IS with the parents. Kids will always be kids but its the adult’s responsibility to know/pay attention when little Jemima is on the floor rummaging through someone’s handbag and – haha – ok I made that up

FDOS_UK
    Participant

It’s public transport, kids go on pubic transport, part of life.

mrgeeee
    Participant

Apologies if this has been posted before but Jet Blue had a great way to deal with babies on flights in their recent US Mother’s Day promo…

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3573393/JetBlue-hands-FREE-flights-passengers-babies-cry-mid-flight-bid-stop-mothers-tots-given-eye.html

Fernieside94
    Participant

Most of this seems to be yet another dig at BA, have any of you travelled with Emirates or Qatar, some of the mothers (or maids) here simply remove the nappies & either throw them on the floor or the more hygienic ones might hand them to a passing cabin attendant ( sorry hygienic is the wrong word as I’ve seen it happen during meal service) On the Gulf airlines things are MUCH worse than BA – the crew seem totally powerless to be able to stop anything that happens with a baby for fear of offending the mother, maid or God forbid the father !!!

AlisonL1982
    Participant

Wow wasn’t expecting so many attached to this thread! I was looking at info about babies in business as I was considering upgrading and wondered about how core worked in that class.

My 8 month old is a very chilled out kid so I don’t expect much crying but no parent can control the crying of an infant. I agree about young kids though. No child should be running the length of a plane continuously. Parents need to come prepared with things to occupy them. Sometimes kids do need to walk a bit. They are huge bundles of energy. Imagine you drinking 5 cans of red bull and then being told to sit still for 9 hours. But crazy screaming uncontrolled children is a joke.

Now that I have read some of these posts I might agree that business may not be for babies or young kids. I’d be furious to pay thousands of pounds to sit next to screaming

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Avaya123 – 12/05/2016 22:42 BST

I don’t see much evidence of an attack on BA or any other airline, for that matter.

As to your comments about the gulf airlines, I have never seen the type of behaviour you describe.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A slightly different discussion on this subject…

In the last 4 weeks, I have suffered (yes, I use the word ‘Suffered’) from screaming children, screaming babies and loud speaking adults on the phone in the following scenarios…

1. Business class and economy sections of 2 shorthaul flights

2. In 2 hotel executive lounges (HKG and FRA), whilst in the midst of client meetings.

3. In the first class section of a train in Germany

4. In T5 lounge (loud adult talking loudly on a skype call)

5. In T5 lounge, a parent ignoring a screaming child

So, my question is not about the behaviour of the children or accompanying adults, but in this PC world we live in, how does one deal with this.

With regards to (4), this was easy, I had no issue in asking him mid flow to belt up… please..

But where screaming children are concerned and in the main it is due to parents ignoring their kids needs… (sometimes you can see the kids asking for a hug, which they don’t get as the parents are too busy playing with their phones).. what is considered acceptable for someone to complain, OR is it a case that screaming children, are actually just part of everyday life, even in club lounges and airplanes.

Where the noise is disturbing you, how do you handle it and would anyone actually confront a parent, in a polite way, to explain you are being disturbed OR…. is complaining about kids screams, unacceptable in 2016.

Again, this is not about whether they should be where they are, but more about is it acceptable to confront the situation??

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 271 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls