Babies in premium cabins

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 271 total)

• Anonymous

nigelbrinklow
    Participant

I’ve just returned from a trip to Mauritius with BA in Club. Unfortunately, both the outward and return journies were stressful due to screaming babies in the cabin. One was only 3 months old. I’m not sure the age of the other 2 babies, but they looked about the same age.

I’m not blaming the parents and the babies are certainly too young to know what’s going on.

Does anyone know what the policy is on allowing passengers with such young children to book seats in premium cabins?

It was really stressful and not at all a tranquil place to be for long time periods on a 12 hour flight for almost everyone in Club.

The crew were great, but there is not a lot they could have done on a full flight.

Thoughts?

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Tricky one, this.

On the one hand, it is public transport, so we don’t get to choose who else sits in the cabin.

On the other hand, if we pay a premium based on a not unreasonable hope to sleep on a 12 hour journey, I’d be a little miffed.

I believe that BA used to have an age limit in First (12 rings a bell, but it may have been for staff travel only), but not in Club.

Is it unreasonable to allow people with young babies to book premium cabins, mmmmmm… I’ll leave others to debate that.

Papillion53
    Participant

We flew back from Mauritius in BA Club a few years ago.

There were two mothers with babes-in-arms from Economy who paraded through the whole plane, through Club around the front galley and then back again – now I put up with this on the first couple of walk bys but then one of the mothers plonked herself down in a spare set of middle seats and proceeded to change her baby. At that point I did feel this was just taking the “you-know-what”, never mind the smelly nappy, so off to the CSD I went. The whole thing was very quickly shut down and no more walk-bys went on.

On the other hand we have regularly been in premium cabins with babies and children and not heard a peep from any of them other than the unavoidable ear pressure issues which anyone would sympathise with. But it is hard to hide the “groan” in your heart when you see the babies and children come into the cabin – any cabin!

nigelbrinklow
    Participant

I agree – it’s a tricky one. We were miffed, but also stuck. There was nothing that we could do about it. I’d appreciate any comments or thoughts on this.

alexlondon
    Participant

It is public transport so, simply, there is nothing you can do about it – or the crew for that matter. I always travel with good ear plugs which sometimes help block out any crying – when accompanied by a stiff drink. I always groan to myself when I see a baby sitting near me. It is annoying when I have forked out for an expensive ticket, not to be able to sleep but I just have to put it down as a fact of life, until I can afford a private jet! There are no age limits on BA in Club or First.

craigwatson
    Participant

it’s public transport, so either deal with it or stay home.

NTarrant
    Participant

Yes it is public transport, but if you are paying a premium then one expects a little bit better than if you were sat down the back or on an all economy flight.

I have travelled in F and J where babies have been and some are awful but then there are others which you would not know are there. My feeling is that babies should not be taken on flights, it is just not fair to the baby, let alone any other passenger. But it ain’t going to change!

craigwatson
    Participant

your paying a premium for a bigger seat… not for a gag for everyone else on board.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I just tried a test booking on ba.com and infants (under 2s) were only £264 for a business return to MRU. Children (2-11 years) were also at a much reduced fare. For some reason the taxes and charges were lower as well.

If BA charged everyone the same, I bet there would be a lot less kids in business.

SimonS1
    Participant

No win situation really.

If airlines refused to carry babies in first/business there would presumably be a discrimination case very quickly and a bucket load of bad PR for the airline.

Unfortunately it’s one of those grin and bear it situations. The only middle ground would be one of the suggestions above ie full fares only in business.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Business and First.

Don’t forget that when BA set their pricing structure, they must take into account the estimated number of infants and children. The adult fares must be higher as a result, as they will get the yield they want.

There might be some bad PR even if there was equal pricing for all. There would be a reduction in the number of children and their parents, but there would be an increase in all adult bookings and those with older children.

SimonS1
    Participant

Yes – sorry.

NTarrant
    Participant

Actually Craig it is not just a bigger seat, it is the ambience of a premium cabin, plus food etc.

If any airline said no children or babies in F or J that is for them to decide the policy. Warners resorts in the UK are adults only, that is their policy.

But a ban or change of policy to no babies isn’t going to happen.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Can you imagine the ad for F on any carrier which shows harrassed parents, a screaming baby in a bassinet, a toddler running around, fed up passengers and crew all heading for economy for a better atmosphere? Somehow I can’t but it happens.

Airlines sell premium cabins on very much the opposite end of the scale of space and exclusivity, when that is not delivered I think it is reasonable to complain. You are not buying a seat, you are buying an experience which is why it’s also reasonable to complain about other aspects of the service too like poor food and surly crew. Ambience is also a huge part of the marketing, if anything greater than the seat, the food or the crew. Expectations need to be met and if airlines can’t meet them then they need to be more realistic in their promotions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 271 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls