British Airways Strikes

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 104 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

Short term results, yes. Long term, we will see.

Exactly the point. Cruz has cut costs beyond the level of sustainability. He has done irreparable damage to the brand, customer loyalty, and staff morale.

I have seen on another forum that there are rumours of his imminent departure, however I have been unable to find anything on the internet and am unable to contact my BA source today. It may just be wishful thinking, let’s hope that the power of positive thought does the trick!

frustratedflyer
    Participant

So is it just me?? All my bookings have vanished from ‘manage my booking’ on ba.com. It’s a great way to ensure that I am not misled about future flights!

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Does anyone else think AC resembles CA (Comical Ali)?

“Your cream team doesn’t include the tea, that is extra”.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

I think probably the thing that should worry BA the most is the reactions of the staff. BA used to have a very strong esprit de corps but for some time under Cruz it has been melting away faster than the Greenland ice-cap and all the talk is that this is accelerating.

When your staff treat working for you as “just another job” rather than anything to be proud of or go the extra mile for, you have lost the battle. After all, they are the ones who really know what is going on, not us the poor ignorant customers.

5 users thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

I was looking at my booked flights on BA during Sept. I have three flights, two short-haul and one long-haul on the 13th. These were all highlighted in red. Concerned I phoned the Exec Club Gold Line and got straight through to a lovely lady who explained that they have opened up all the booked flights around the strike dates to canx, rebook, total refund or leave them as they are. But, after the call, I thought that this is actually very proactive for passengers….quite a good move! My only gripe is why didn’t they send out a round-robin to bring my attention to this offer….rather than a bit of a shock that had to be explained!

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=954752]So is it just me?? All my bookings have vanished from ‘manage my booking’ on ba.com. It’s a great way to ensure that I am not misled about future flights![/quote]

Not just you – me too and I expect many others.

However, if you try to add the booking again, you will get a message that it is already there.

handbag
    Participant

I had an email to say my flight was canx. As they were with Avios and a Companion voucher I tried phoning them. Started trying at 9.00am. Rang twice and got through at 54 and 55 mins, for my phone to then cut off at one hour and had to ring back again. Eventually told there were no Avios flights available from the Wednesday I was originally going until Sunday. I was due back on Tuesday, so didn’t seem worth doing that. I asked to keep just the return and pay the points and tax for that and get my voucher back , they said not possible. Only way was to cancel my whole booking and as a gesture of good will they would give me my voucher back and refund me. I did and then booked flights going there and back on my original days – out with Vueling and back on same flight with BA. Eventually made my last call for the refund and put phone down at 12.30. I then received an email to say my flight wants canx at all. What a waste of time. I am out of pocket, but unable to claim as it was more than 14 days.

TominScotland
    Participant

[quote quote=954833]I was looking at my booked flights on BA during Sept. I have three flights, two short-haul and one long-haul on the 13th. These were all highlighted in red. Concerned I phoned the Exec Club Gold Line and got straight through to a lovely lady who explained that they have opened up all the booked flights around the strike dates to canx, rebook, total refund or leave them as they are. But, after the call, I thought that this is actually very proactive for passengers….quite a good move! My only gripe is why didn’t they send out a round-robin to bring my attention to this offer….rather than a bit of a shock that had to be explained![/quote]

Openfly, thanks for making that phone call which is what i was planning to do. I have flights on the 28th which show as red. I have no flexibility about this date as I need to be in Johannesburg first thing on the 30th. What i would like to know is whether BA will accommodate (and pay for) a switch to another airline at this stage or is the re-book just on BA?

openfly
    Participant

Hi Tom, at this stage they don’t seem to be offering a rebook on another carrier. It’s only on BA. Of course, they are obliged to do this if your flight is cancelled closer to the date.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=954978]I had an email to say my flight was canx. As they were with Avios and a Companion voucher I tried phoning them. Started trying at 9.00am. Rang twice and got through at 54 and 55 mins, for my phone to then cut off at one hour and had to ring back again. Eventually told there were no Avios flights available from the Wednesday I was originally going until Sunday. I was due back on Tuesday, so didn’t seem worth doing that. I asked to keep just the return and pay the points and tax for that and get my voucher back , they said not possible. Only way was to cancel my whole booking and as a gesture of good will they would give me my voucher back and refund me. I did and then booked flights going there and back on my original days – out with Vueling and back on same flight with BA. Eventually made my last call for the refund and put phone down at 12.30. I then received an email to say my flight wants canx at all. What a waste of time. I am out of pocket, but unable to claim as it was more than 14 days.[/quote]

I believe BA have said that where travellers were wrongly advised of cancellation, and are out of pocket only to find their flights reinstated, they will cover the costs.

rferguson
    Participant

Seems like talks are back on.

Personally, i’ll be surprised if the strikes go ahead.

I just hope it doesn’t end up a silly situation like the HAL ‘strikes’ a month ago. Plethora of flights cancelled, people’s holidays disrupted for the HAL unions to call off the strikes the night before. The damage was done already.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=955000]

I was looking at my booked flights on BA during Sept. I have three flights, two short-haul and one long-haul on the 13th. These were all highlighted in red. Concerned I phoned the Exec Club Gold Line and got straight through to a lovely lady who explained that they have opened up all the booked flights around the strike dates to canx, rebook, total refund or leave them as they are. But, after the call, I thought that this is actually very proactive for passengers….quite a good move! My only gripe is why didn’t they send out a round-robin to bring my attention to this offer….rather than a bit of a shock that had to be explained!

Openfly, thanks for making that phone call which is what i was planning to do. I have flights on the 28th which show as red. I have no flexibility about this date as I need to be in Johannesburg first thing on the 30th. What i would like to know is whether BA will accommodate (and pay for) a switch to another airline at this stage or is the re-book just on BA?[/quote]

I don’t think 28th is a strike day. In any case BA has not announced arrangements for the 27th strike yet. Presumably they are hoping negotiations kick in.

The botched rush to deal with the first two dates was motivated entirely by avoiding compensation….if the strikes continue then they will need to announce plans by 13th if they are to do the same.

handbag
    Participant

SimonS1
    I believe BA have said that where travellers were wrongly advised of cancellation, and are out of pocket only to find their flights reinstated, they will cover the costs.

Thank you for that. I will look into it.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

[quote quote=955090]I believe BA have said that where travellers were wrongly advised of cancellation, and are out of pocket only to find their flights reinstated, they will cover the costs.[/quote]

This is something of a change of tack from Cruz “we never pay compensation if we can avoid it” Airlines. I wonder if the extremely negative press the airline has been getting, plus the overt statements from the CAA that they expect more from BA to help passengers, might have encouraged a change of heart. And if it has, I suspect it comes from above Cruz – he does not strike me as having either the understanding or perhaps even the authority to do so on his own initiative.

The whole episode is turning into the most extraordinary own goal by BA. Even Michael O’Leary realised a little while ago that there is only so much bad press an airline can take in the pursuit of profits. Maybe this strike has been WW’s similar Damascus moment.

capetonianm
    Participant

Ryanair management at least know exactly what they’re doing and they do it well. One cannot say the same for BA.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 104 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls