BA making money from Coronavirus

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

“Isn’t the point of travel insurance to protect against these unexpected events?”

Surely you insure against the inability to travel, not unwillingness.

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=988538][/postquote]

My insurance covers me for many more things than medical situations.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry to read about your diagnosis PointMark. Personally, and I expect I’ll be shouted down now, I think this coronavirus is all a bit exaggerated, and I also think it will have all blown away (no pun intended) by March. Of course the very young, elderly and those with a weakened immune system (your case I’d imagine) will be more susceptible, but I’d hold on till nearer the date and see what happens.

All the best to you in any case.

1 user thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=989427][/postquote]

Hi LP, may seem a bit over cautious from 9,000 kilometres, but on the ground in Hubei Province, and particularly in Wuhan, it is a very real threat. I flew in to WUH on 10 Jan and out again on 12th. Only passing through airport and station to travel to a company that I work with in Jingzhou which is 3 hour drive / 1.5 hour train. Everyone in Jingzhou was concerned and, even at that stage, the blue masks were often on.

The factory was scheduled to re-open on 3rd Feb but the Government told companies to remain closed until 9 February. Now we will be closed until 13 February. What may not be fully appreciated by subscribers is the sheer number of out of town workers employed in manufacturing. In our case about 200 of 300 are out of town. There is virtually no domestic travel by train into or out of Hubei. Even if we can re-open on 13th we don’t know how many workers will be able to return. We are concerned that there will be those who do not want to return.

Next problem will be logistics, getting subcontract processing done, our anodising is done in Wuhan, and then, when we have a shipment ready we do not know if it can move, as we don’t know which transport companies will have workers returning.

Hopefully it will be controlled soon. I was impressed that China can build a temporary hospital in under 2 weeks. The UK cannot start a 3rd runway in 20 years!

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[postquote quote=988144][/postquote]

Getting straight to the point – what a waste of time replying on this thread just for attention.

Trolling at its worst.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[postquote quote=988059][/postquote]

I note PointyMark that you are getting the usual dismal levels of care from BA. Have you tried their social media channels?

I am sure given your circumstances they would not want your illness and what is going on in China to be seen as ‘profiteering’, they’ve also now suspended flights so you should be able to claim a full refund now.

Good luck with your illness and dealing with BA – neither one of which sounds particularly nice.

Regards.
    AOTG.

craigwatson
    Participant

Actually BA flights are only cancelled until 29 February. No policy in place after that as yet so it would be the normal cancellation conditions.

He is travelling 2 months in the future. Quite a lot can happen in that time so I think BA’s (and just about every other airline) policy is right. Help those with imminent travel plans and wait and see for those with plans in the distant future.

TupeloKid
    Participant

[postquote quote=989427][/postquote]

I thin you’re right. Another week and we may see the top of the bell curve for daily deaths. Daily new cases seem already to have peaked. On a log scale, the cumulative cases and cumulative deaths have already flattened out.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Clearly BA are making loadsamoney from Covid-19.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51671193

No sign of an apology from the OP

PointyMark
    Participant

I don’t see why I’m supposed to apologise. Please explain.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=991978][/postquote]

Your post is titled “BA making money from Coronavirus”. There is absolutely no evidence that BA are making money out of Coronavirus. Accepting that you were unfairly accusing BA of making money out of a situation totally out of their, or any airline’s, control, would seem reasonable, unless you were merely having a rant, and say so.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=991978][/postquote]

Do you still believe BA is making money from Coronavirus then? If so then pls let the stock market know as it would appear they are issuing false statements.

PointyMark
    Participant

Obviously BA and other carriers are now losing a lot of money over fears about covid-19. My post, written a month ago, was about my personal situation at that point in time, where BA wanted to earn £630 if I cancelled my tickets, due to my concern about covid-19 in China. They (and my insurers) took the view that my cancellation would be voluntary and therefor would not qualify for compensation. The airline subsequently chose to cancel my flights and so I got a full refund. But in the month in between the fare to my favoured replacement destination rose by almost £1000 each, so both BA and I have lost money. BA, though, will have insurance to cover route suspension.

I would like to praise BA for getting my refund back onto my Amex within 48 hours.

I remain of the opinion that BA could have appeared more caring by refunding me a month ago. A lot of the drop in airlines’ revenue at the moment is not just in relation to China services, there’s a broader issue around lack of confidence that a flight will take place through the airline cancelling it, the airport refusing certain arrivals, or the sudden enforcement of quarantine when you get there/home. I think more people would make advance bookings (say for the summer holidays) if the airlines gave more reassurances around refunding tickets if they cancelled flights, or if they were otherwise prevented from flying due to covid-19.

I know there will be those of you who say that ‘business’ is not about being ‘caring’, and others who would challenge that vigorously. But I’m dismayed that a few of you have chosen to criticise me so personally on this thread.

SimonS1
    Participant

To be fair you were quite strident in your criticism of BA, and the thread title was quite inflammatory.

At that point the crisis was evolving, and BA (like most airlines and insurers) were following guidance from the FCO and other organisations.

When the scale of things became clear BA refunded people, quite promptly as you state.

If that is profiteering I’m afraid I don’t agree.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls