BA making money from Coronavirus

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

With the Government now enforcing company closures in GD province until the 3rd (and we are advised could be longer) that will mean a lot of meetings will be cancelled or rescheduled. I wonder if Airlines will take that into consideration if people need to change flights. (i wont hold my breath)

Nick
    Participant

The BA refund / rebooking details are at https://lfn.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7982 . Currently only for people flying between 26 January and 23 February 2020, but that may well get updated as time goes on, so keep checking back!

1 user thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

I fail to understand the claim that BA making money from Coronavirus. How are they making money?

They are offering refunds to people travelling in the next few weeks. Why should this be extended for the next 3 months? Wuhan is about as far from Shanghai as Aberdeen is from London, and the itinerary shown does not include Wuhan.

If you want to change a deeply discounted ticket then you have to pay. They are discounted because there is no flexibility.

If cancellation is because of health then travel insurance will cover it.

I was in Wuhan 2 weeks ago and the new airport is massive. In T3 the distance from the 2 furthest gates is 1.86 Km, in a straight line!

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=988206][/postquote]

I think you are missing the point – at the time the OP posted they weren’t offering refunds for any dates. Read the whole thread properly and you will see that was offered some time later yesterday morning.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=988210][/postquote]

I am not sure that it is me missing the point. The OP claimed that “BA are making money out of Coronavirus”. The OP wants to change, or cancel, discounted tickets about 10-11 weeks before departure. Note that the £630 is for tickets, plural, so is presumably 2 x £315 or 3 x £210 change fee.

There is no FCO warning in place and, if the request to change is on medical grounds,own insurance will cover.

Please explain to me how “BA are making money out of Coronavirus”, which is the claim.

3 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

I think the OP’s point was that BA might be seen as profiteering by refusing/charging people to change or refund with circumstances as they are (I don’t agree, but I understand the point).

It would not be the first time BA has allowed changes before FCA advice against travel has been received, and so it has proved here, as BA have subsequently relaxed their guidelines while FCA advice at 5pm this afternoon covered Hubei Province only and not other major cities.

ontherunhome
    Participant

I am due to fly to Shanghai on Friday. All my metings cancelled in China, so no point in going. I had flights on Cathay and Virgin, both allowing refunds without penalty. Booked Cathay through Expedia who also waived £25 fee. ( think i’lkl always book directly through airline in future, less hassle).

I have managed to cancel some hotels, Chinese government have instructed hotels to cancel without charge, I understand. Hope same in Hong Kong.

Good luck with your refund. In these circumstances you have to feel for the travel trade, but also understand customer expectations. I have promised those that I have cancelled with to repeat the booking next time.

fatbear
    Participant

i work for a US company, and they have temporarily banned all travel to China.

Stanley1
    Participant

The latest upadate from the FCO – The Foreign Office (FCO) is now advising against all travel to all but essential travel to mainland China excluding Hong Kong and Macau. It is just an amendment without any dates as yet.

flier74
    Participant

Oh my, reading some of the responses of the OPs thread I can’t help myself to think how bitter some of the posters are on here.
    As to the OP given the fluid situation I hope you can manage to get a refund by now or soon and wishing you the best outcome of your condition possible.
    If you can’t get anywhere with the official policy maybe try and get an exemption with a doctors letter from BA or your travel insurance if you have that but having dealt with BA during a similar situation I am confident they make allowances for your unfortunate situation. By all means let us know how you get on

capetonianm
    Participant

I don’t see any ‘bitterness’, simply some who have responded have suggested more realistic alternatives than expecting the airline to fully refund a discounted ticket with a penalty clause. If you interpret people saying that the airline is likely to adhere to the conditions of purchase of the ticket as ‘bitterness’ then I’m at a loss for words.

In the light of events subsequent to the original posting, things have changed and it may well be that PointyMark will get a full refund. The ideal outcome, first prize, would be that he would have been well enough to travel and enjoy the trip he paid for. It now looks as if he will get a full refund. Second prize, but not a bad one. Very best of luck to him.

4 users thanked author for this post.

PointyMark
    Participant

OK so it seems this thread is approaching its sell-by date. I thank those who’ve contributed in good faith. After last night’s revised FCO travel advice, and news of BA’s China flights suspension, I’ve once again gone to BA’s website to try to cancel, but once again it is saying I’ll have a £630 penalty charge (total for 2 tickets). When I tried to phone them a message said they’re “having a much larger volume of calls than normal” then the call was terminated.
    I shall be patient.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=988324][/postquote]

It’s not bitterness, just being pragmatic.

If there is no FCO advice against travel BA will operate the flights and it will be a personal choice of the traveller whether to travel although there may be a goodwill offer to delay dates, change to other routes or even refund. If on the other hand there is FCO advice against travel then BA will likely cancel flights (just as they have, temporarily), and refund travellers.

It’s the way business works.

Isn’t the point of travel insurance to protect against these unexpected events?

I believe the OP is due to fly in March, I imagine it will be another 2/3 weeks before we know the position

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Isn’t the point of travel insurance to protect against these unexpected events?” – Absolutely, but recent experience leads me to believe “unexpected events” is defined as medical events, as far as travel insurance is concerned.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls