BA Data Breach – has anyone claimed

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1088546]I’d be inclined to agree if they could evidence that they’ve learnt their lesson & made changes.[/quote]

I would tend to agree, except that BA’s negligence was so bad I’m considering it. Specifically the retention of my CVV details —that’s unforgivable !

DerekVH
    Participant

Put like that I have to agree with you!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

I joined at the beginning when BA e-mailed me to confirm I had been one of the 400,000. I had a wobble and wondered if at the end of the day it might cost me to engage with these lawyers, but I’ve stuck with it. I’m not in it for the money, it’s justice and for BA to learn a lesson after years of cost-cutting, cutbacks, savings etc etc, but I wondered what would happen and how would people feel if BA came up with an out of court offer like Gold for life or something connected with the Executive Club.
    I just wonder what would happen in a case like that where maybe some of us would be happy with flight vouchers/upgrade on our status etc. I guess the legal people would hold out for money – that would be the only way they would make their money I guess. Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on that scenario.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Well, I for one would accept Gold for life, (I am currently Gold and have been for several years), rather than see millions of pounds wasted on litigation, PROVIDED, BA were credible in spending the money instead on their failing IT.
    It seems reasonably clear no one here is wanting thousands in cash payments. It’s their total bloody failure to say sorry and fix it, so more than likely, it will happen again.

8 users thanked author for this post.

Justin Germany
    Participant

I agree Derek, and I also find it distasteful in any times to claim damages for losses that were not actually incurred. I accept that people have a legal right to claim financial compensation if they can prove that their credit/debit card lender did not reimburse the resulting fraudulent transactions, although it is incredibly unlikely that they refuse to do so. And if that is anyone’s point here – to claim direct, verifiable, losses not already refunded by BA or your credit/debit card issue – then I support your claim.

Reading through the PGMBM webpages – assuming you can ignore the references to their (up to) 35% cut of your claim – I would draw your attention to the “our clients say” section, they are barely credible. Credit bureaus and consumer credit lenders have processes in place to delete data that may adversely impact your credit score. If they haven’t, or you haven’t tried this route, I recommend directing your legal action at them instead. The first two comments border on the absurd (assuming that these are the reasons for the client’s claim). And worried that somebody will harm the claimant or the claimant’s family? I mean, come on.

Perhaps I am overly sensitive because of the pandemic, the lockdown, the lost jobs, the incredible stress on the NHS and its staff and the >80000 deaths and their families, but the thought of lawyers right now making fat profits from people claiming thousands for – to use PGMBM’S language – stress, frustration and anxiety due to a compromised executive club account is nothing short of disgusting. Furthermore, if you intend to profit from this claim and are successful, then please do the right thing and donate the proceeds to nurses and doctors who are living with endless months of stress, frustration and anxiety to a level you probably could never imagine.

Nicholas
    Participant

I would agree, but the problem is for me, is that they don’t seem to learn and the reason I am considering this is that they don’t want to understand customers feedback. BA is a great airline with a majority of people who want to do good.

Johnnyg
    Participant

SGJNI1961

Apologies, pressed the report by mistake

2 users thanked author for this post.

GBAIR72
    Participant

What happens if BA doesn’t lose the case. Then you end up paying lawyers fees or paying for insurance to cover the fees. This is only a win / win for the lawyers.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1088698]

I learnt this the hard way. I joined the mass action against RBS a few years ago (I had lost a shed load of money). We had to pay a substantial sum up front to cover the court costs as well as the lawyers’s fees.

There was a negotiated settlement, and all I got back was most (but not all) of the fees I had paid.

Bobbo
    Participant

Alex Cruz obliterated the IT budget, BA deserve to pay for this. If they can afford to purchase Air Europa in “these difficult times” they can pay for this huge data breach.

mkcol74
    Participant

@Bobbo It was IAG which bought Air Europa, not BA.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Interesting discussion. Thank you all.

I am a claimant. But I am about to withdraw. These are the reasons:
    – I was not after the money, but as many, I wanted BA to change course of actions in the way it is managed. This won’t happen, no matter the outcome (yes, it was wishful thinking).
    – In the current situation, I am unease to claim.
    – I humbly admit I fear retaliation from BA after their latest BAEC T&Cs update.

Casey_99
    Participant

Yes, have claimed via badatabreach.com.
    Don’t expect much and am mainly doing this as a protest to BA.
    Would rather BA offered me something like Lifetime Gold rather than a grand or two.
    It was ironic a few months after the data breach when I had to amend a flight booking. I was due a small refund which BA were having great difficulty processing. Turned out they were trying to make the refund to my old credit card used to make the original booking, which I’d had to replace due to their data breach!

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1089954]

Swissidver, if I felt threatened from a supplier prior to making a complaint or applying for a justified refund I would stop using that supplier. It is of course your decision but if someone says to me “take it or leave it” then I leave it

SimonS1
    Participant

Meanwhile the IT person who brought down BA’s booking systems by pulling the plug out has secured new work in Florida….

https://trib.al/8r9Bnmk

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls