BA Data Breach – has anyone claimed

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

• JDTraveller
    Participant

There has been an enormous increase in the No-win No-fee solicitors advertising on FB over the past week about the BA Data Breach. Has anyone signed up to be part of the Group Litigation Order against BA in the UK?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I remember the day of the data breach well. It happened the day BA’s lounge hospitality got the better of the client I had bumped into, causing me to miss my flight..

I used my Amex card on that date in the lounge to rebook and joined the GLO when it was announced. I receive regular updates.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Yes, I have. I don’t expect anything much in the way of compensation, that is not why i did it. I simply wanted to register a protest at BA’s ongoing IT incompetence which they seem to be very happy to do nothing about so a dig at their pocket seemed a reasonable way of annoying them, however briefly. I’m also really hacked off they won’t even admit liability.
    My pet peeve is “September” is not on the same line as all other months when searching for dates. Why???????? The destruction of the ipad version of the mobile site is inexplicable, it worked well enough, even if at times it didn’t recognise “JFK” as a valid airport code!!!!! Lets not mention the all to frequent system failures. Given the importance of IT to their business, they seem to neglect it terribly.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Yes, I have, and also easyJet claim. Don’t expect much but hope to put a little pressure on both to take better care.

JDTraveller
    Participant

Thanks all – I also had my details compromised thankfully AMEX stopped the transactions that were attempted and blocked my card immediately.

[postquote quote=1088368]

I agree with the protest at their IT incompetence – just had to sit in a call with them for an hour as the App shows me that I should be checking in for a flight to HND which has been reticketed for later this year.

Out of interest, which Solicitors have you gone with and what has the service been like?

SGJNI1961
    Participant

JDTraveller,

The lawyers are SPG Law, and I have no other information about them other than they seem to be getting on with it.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1088484]

I think that SPG Law merged with PGMBM. Here is their e-mail [email protected]

mkcol74
    Participant

@JDTraveller Are you going to join the group action, or have you missed the cut-off?

JDTraveller
    Participant

I hadn’t but planning to, just need to work out which claim group best to join as I have many stalking me across the internet right now. Seems like the cut-off is the end of the month?

2 users thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

This is the e-mail sent out today by PGMBM

Re: British Airways Data Breach Claim
    We write further to our previous update of 8 December 2020 and now set out a further update.
    Costs and Case Management Conference “CCMC”
    The CCMC has been listed for 1 – 2 of February 2021 at which the judge will consider the further directions and timetable for this case as well as considering the costs of the parties.
    We are presently awaiting the information that British Airways provided to the Information Commissioner for consideration in advance of this hearing and once received, we will analyse how this is best used to advance the litigation.
    Clarification on the prospect of Settlement
    It has come to our attention that several news outlets have carried news stories regarding both the prospect of an impending settlement of the British Airways Data Event Group Litigation and the likely amount of damages that claimants can expect to receive. As lead solicitors appointed by the High Court, we have conduct over the litigation and therefore wish to clarify the position.
    We are aware of statements being made that suggest that the Defendants have agreed to settle the Group Litigation out of court and that settlement discussions have already started. We can confirm that, to the best of our knowledge, this is factually inaccurate.
    The correct position is that, at the Case Management Conference in November 2020, British Airways informed the High Court that it was open to the possibility of entering into settlement discussions with the Claimants. As lead solicitors, we have not yet received any official settlement proposals from the Defendant and, until such time as any are received, we will continue to progress the litigation, including at the upcoming CCMC.
    The likely value of damages for Successful Claimants
    The same news stories referred to above have also contained suggestions that compensation for individual claimants could be between £6,000 and £16,000.
    Unfortunately, these amounts are inaccurate and exaggerated. Whilst we will continue to seek the highest amount of compensation possible for each of the claimants we represent, it is important to provide you with realistic expectations.
    Accordingly, we remain confident in our assessment that eligible claimants may expect to receive up to £2,000 in compensation, as a result of any financial loss, inconvenience and distress suffered by them following the British Airways Data Event in 2018. This figure has been assessed following the expert advice of a Queen’s Counsel.
    If you have any further queries regarding the matters raised above or about your claim generally, our client care team are happy to answer any questions that you may have on 0333 015 5900. Our client care team are available from 08:00 to 20:00, Monday to Sunday. Alternatively, please email [email protected].

I have no connection and am just a claimant.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

This is today’s FT piece

BA faces largest-ever group privacy claim in UK over data breach
    Thousands join case after exposure of personal and financial details of 400,000 customers in 2018

3 users thanked author for this post.

DerekVH
    Participant

Am I alone in thinking we are in different times and given BA’s current problems people should put this issue to bed? The company are losing a fortune and I for one would like to think they have learnt their lesson and we need to move on.

mkcol74
    Participant

[postquote quote=1088533]

I’d be inclined to agree if they could evidence that they’ve learnt their lesson & made changes.

JDTraveller
    Participant

[postquote quote=1088546]

You are right the aviation industry is in trouble at the moment, but they have profited from us for many many years. No doubt that BA/IAG will come out of this just fine – they have money to spend on acquisition of Air Europa. BA’s IT is still in a dire place. I spent over an hour waiting to talk to someone yesterday about flights showing in my app that had been moved to October. This morning I get a “Your final flight checks” email. You couldnt make it up.

5 users thanked author for this post.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

@ DerekVH
    You are quite right, we are in different times but what has that got to do with BA’s history of neglect? I am, like many others, not best pleased that I had details of several cards “shared” with the bad guys and BA won’t even say sorry properly and don’t seem able to fix their IT. They were very happy to post billion pound profits and to pay shareholder dividends. Should those be repaid???
    What is the evidence for having learned any lesson? The point is that the claim should hurt, at least a bit, then they might act and it won’t happen again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls