BA Club Europe

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 142 total)

• Speedbird
    Participant

BA falls down in not offering a premium product on domestic flights in this country. Similar length flights to the continent have CE cabin.

SenatorGold
    Participant

When booking Euro Traveller seats on ba.com, usually before purchasing a ticket there is an offer to upgrade to Club Europe. If one doesn’t take up this offer and one buys a Euro Traveller thereafter there may be another opportunity to upgrade. What is your experience?
    1. Can one reasonably expect post purchase of a Euro Traveller ticket to receive an offer to upgrade?
    2. Is the offer usually made immediately after purchase of the Euro Traveller ticket or nearer the time of departure?
    3. Are post purchase upgrades cheaper than those made prior to purchase?

Usually I’ve accepted the offer to upgrade prior to purchase where it s reasonable in order to be certain of travelling CE but I was wondering if I have been unduly cautious.

@Simon

I’m glad to hear that.

@SenatorGold

In my experience, the offer is there immediately after purchasing a EuroT ticket, although it depends on the day of the week and even the departure time. I get the impression that GCHs are targeted.

pdtraveller
    Participant

Would not buy CE unless part of a ex EU fare or as a £49 upgrade via MMB. There is a need for a fixed cabin with proper seating, catering and premium service at every stage. At best CE is simply ET+ a bit like F being CW+

Never buy upgrade on BA.com before you pay for he ET ticket. The subsequent offers are generally better though I accept the offer is not always made!

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I am flying to Istanbul on Weds. My client booked and paid for my flight in Y but whilst checking the booking on line last week, I was offered an upgrade for £99 so I have paid this myself. I haven’t flown CE for many years so I will be curious to see what the experience is like. Given it is a 4 hour flight and my base fare was paid for by someone else, I thought that was a good deal. I am Exec Blue at the moment so it also gives me the lounge access which I wouldn’t have had otherwise.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Bath_VIP – 15/09/2013 21:18 GMT

Enjoy the experience. We (Snr Management, who is far more of a globe trotter than I have ever been able to be, and I) thoroughly enjoyed our CE experience to/from IST during the Summer. Having survived the potential botulism epidemic based on the cookie jars(*) in the Galleries lounge (T5 south), we much enjoyed the standard (and choice) of food and wines on board. The CC, perhaps intent on proving that they could read and write, were able to read our boarding cards and greet us personally. The lack of “robotic mannerisms” even extended to a smile and a jocular remark. BTW, Galleries (T5 south) was neither decrepit nor litter strewn nor packed to the rafters with standing room only but well stocked with a range of respectably edible (but not cordon bleu) offerings. There again, we know by now not to expect either The Ivy or our favourite Kensal Rise south Indian restaurant. Astonishingly, the pre-flight eats in the “after thought” of the third party lounge at IST were simply out of this world they were that good.

Our only minor gripe was the in-flight entertainment system on the CE configured B767s… Beyond that, the planes were not smeared with grime or the seats collapsing under us – as appears to have been the experience of some BT posters. The aircraft developed no faults preventing on-time departures and the only “glitch” was the simply monstrous arrival queue at Ataturk airport to pay (IN CASH, in Sterling – you are warned) our £10 visitor tax/entry visa.

Furthermore, we had precisely no problems whatsoever with our considerably expanded luggage upon our return and BA had the brazen effrontery to have this come off the carousel first. Come to think of it, even the hotel (booked via BA.com) lived up to, indeed surpassed, our expectations with attentive service and stunning views across the Bosporus and over to the Blue Mosque. Putting to one side one’s views on Mr Erdogan’s performance as Turkey’s PM, we had yet another fascinating trip, made some more choice discoveries and loved the experience which is why IST is one of our favourite “repeat returning to” destinations.

I am sure that this must have been an unprecedented series of pure flukes and an entirely alien experience to some BT posters….

I can now remove my tongue from my cheek.

(*) Be a devil and try the apple crumble cookies; you’ll end up stashing a few in a napkin…

Dear Anthony

Did you travel back with lots of locks and fittings and suchlike?

I’m off there again this week, this time not on business but to have a haircut as they do it so well there.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Hi Alexpo,

Ha, ha! I locked out, or was it lucked out last time! This time, as well as the (ahem) almost obligatory addition to our (cough) modest collection of Turkish and Kurdish rugs and Snr Management’s collection of Ottoman style Turkish jackets, we came back with kilos of nuts as I have become a “Taste the Difference of NW2” home-made granola maker. Daft, I know, to go to Turkey and come back with bags of nuts but they were very inexpensive, seriously good and available in vast quantities. I now know where to go for all of my basic ingredients if I decide to up-scale my production.

As well as a haircut, you must try the Cemberlitas Hamam in the unlikely event of your not having been there before. We visited the Mudo Pera this time and loved the art-deco feel of the museum and its superb exhibitions. We also benefited from the best (for a visitor) exchange rate we’ve ever had. It might have notched back up a few points since the troubles during the Summer so prices wont be quite the bargain we experienced.

Final recommendation: “Istanbul: the ultimate guide” by Saffet TONGUC and Pat YALE. ISBN 978-975-23-0734-6 published 2012 by Boyut Publishing Group is just what it says on the cover with exquisite photography, wonderful writing and great advice.

Oops, was that a thread diversion or ramble? Sorry folks!

critical999
    Participant

Don’t Waffle please
    My input is about quality and service when paying premium rates.

Not AVIOS

SimonS1
    Participant

Your question has already been answered by someone working at BA.

Hardly anyone pays premium fares.

If you do you must be a mug or an MEP.

rferguson
    Participant

Tbh I think the description of Club Europe on ba.com pretty much describes what you will get. When paying the crazy high ba.com fares you aren’t just paying that amount because it’s ‘Club’ you are also paying for the increased ticket flexibility. Pretty much every other airline out there works to the same mantra.

It’s no different to Economy. You can see some ridiculous fares on some flights on certain dates. Or if you want a fully flexible economy ticket. Hence the reason why BA seem to offer ‘upgrades’ to Club for circa £69. Because although you will get the ‘premium experience’ you will not get the ticket flexibility. The flexibility is for some more important that the cabin they are sitting in.

For example, someone wanting a one way ticket to ATH from London for tomorrow (flexible). Cheapest Y = £530. Cheapest J = £581 (hurry, just 1 seat left at this price! 🙂 ) Yet if you don’t want the flexibility to change/cancel the Y fare drops to £175. And you can nab a one way J upgrade for £109 ;-).

Senator
    Participant

I suspect a fair amount of Club Europe passengers are in transit from a Club World of First Class experience. Therefore, to offer a continued Premium Service on the inbound or outbound connecting flight is sensible.

I know several airlines including Swiss has discussed scrapping the European Premium Cabin, but it would diminish the value for Premium long-haul.

I for one, think one of two things will happen:
    It will go away completely or,
    A true Premium product will be introduced

Recently travelled ARN-IST-BKK-IST-ARN on Turkish and the ARN-IST-ARN segments were operated by newer A321 with a stunning seat like a US Domestic First seat, only bigger, wider, and with a greater pitch. Time-table wise, IST is far away from most European gateways, but this was the new Intra-European standard according to the on-board staff and one to emulate.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

What’s great about the Club Europe’s adjustible seating is that its economics stack up to permit a premium service on board, ably supported by a premium service in the lounges, without risk of being removed.

It also allows the same fleet to serve domestic routes where CE isn’t offered.

I do think CE is at risk from Gatwick, but at Heathrow there is still strong demand (and paid demand). I travel regularly on these routes on largely point to point trips and see regulars who I know pay for the increased privacy of CE, as I do.

Apart from the cost of installing new dedicated premium seating on the 100+ shorthaul fleet, it would completely remove the marginal economic case of shorthaul premium cabin; to a certain extent we’ve seen the midhaul cabin being introduced on the A321s to address these concerns on longer flights, but I’m not convinced that move is working.

CE is often not that much more expensive than Y, as alexpo1 will testify is the case on the LUX routes.

Even exUK there can be some reasonable deals. £200 rtn to Bordeaux, £250 to Amsterdam and Geneva is hardly a “crazy high” fare, and MMB paid upgrades can work out even cheaper.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/low-price-finder/public/en_gb

Travellator
    Participant

I travel regularly in CE from LGW to a Spanish destination – the CE cabin is usually full with up to 7 rows at times – plenty of demand there !

Good morning Anthony

Does your home resemble a bazaar? And before I start to waffle, I moved to NW2 from NW1. Talk about contrast 😉

OK folks, let’s stick to the topic.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 142 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls