BA Cancellations

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• BPP
    Participant

Have been watching the saga of BA cancellations carefully – on Friday it happened. An e-mail arrived advising that my Club Europe flight LHR-BCN in 3 weeks time had been canceled.
    I rang BA and surprise surprise got through immediately. Very polite young lady offered to rebook a later flight but with no guarantee that my return 3 days later would fly either!!
    This was not a desperately urgent trip so rather than get stuck in Spain I decide to cancel the whole thing. No problems says she, and would process the refund immediately.
    Again surprise, the refund arrived in my VISA account this morning (72 hrs)!
    The cancellation was very irritating but at least I am grateful that it was on this occasion handled very politely and promptly, but it does not inspire confidence for future trips. The news as of today is quite grim.
    BPP

7 users thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

I also received the dreaded e-mail last night for our NAP-LHR-GLA travels in early October, the second leg falling victim this time. I followed the rebooking link and had things sorted to a later flight within 2 minutes which is absolutely fine, provided that those flights remain in place.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BPP

theworldtraveller
    Participant

Airlines are well versed in this rebooking now!

These cancellations have gone on for too long now – why would airports and airlines not be able to Staff the operation properly after so many months, do they want to even ?

This must be the last of the cancellations or MAYBE BOTH HEATHROW and BA need a new CEO

4 users thanked author for this post.

FormerBA
    Participant

I have, as yet, not had the dreaded email and have flight next week, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Apr and Jun….so there is still time.

It seems BA have decided that it is more profitable not to fly than it is to recruit and perform the functions of an airline. I think their results next year will bare this out and fares, particularly for domestic flights, have already surged. The “gilets jaunes” idiot who did so much to destroy BAs reputation before this mess, was at least a visible leader. Doyle is simply an invisible malevolent force.

None of my flights are long haul and the removal of 10,000 flights is not instilling any confidence that BA can or will operate with greater stability than they have hitherto. Consequently a business class return to Sydney is with a non one world carrier, while a trip to South America is with Iberia. As a premium leisure customer and experienced traveler, I get that things can go wrong, but with BA it more a case of can things go right? When you add in the sub par premium experience (still single tray club world meal service) and a demoralised crew, it makes sense to fly with others for the time being. BAEC status is all well and good but it doesn’t shield you from BA staggering operational incompetence.

Its good to know they can at least answer the phone.

5 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1229759]This must be the last of the cancellations[/quote]

Not really.

I expect you saw Tom’s piece a few days ago with the news of more cancellations throughout the winter.

British Airways cuts 10,000 flights from its winter schedules

IanFromHKG
    Participant

It’s a times like this that I almost miss VintageKrug and his insights into all things BA and how wonderful they are.

Almost.

5 users thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Where is Doyle?

Montysaurus
    Participant

Who?[postquote quote=1230193]

1 user thanked author for this post.

Polly
    Participant

Doyle afraid to show his face. Loving it that he can blame HAL for all the cancellations tho…

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1230221]

I’m sorry, but I’m afraid he can’t do that. 🙂

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1230213]

Sean Doyle, Chairman and CEO of British Airways

Montysaurus
    Participant

I was being ironic.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1230249]

Ah – good thing you made it so obvious

Montysaurus
    Participant

IanHKG
    I was going to type a little bit more but finger took over from brain.
    I know that some of you seasoned posters are in contact with each other and that I am unlikely to ever meet any of you. However if you are not actual friends of mine then you are well kent acquaintances. I really enjoy your posts.

2 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Well we are puttng BA (and Easyjet) to the test in the next 3 weeks. Let’s see how they manage:

1/9 Accra-London (reasonably confident this will fly, albeit with late arrival time)

4/9 London-Ljubljana, with Easyjet from LGW (advised of change of plane but no other issues so far)

9/9 Ljubljana-London, with Easyjet to LGW (similar change of plane)

12/9 London-Toulouse (BA already cancelled the middle of the 3 flights that day and we opted for the early morining alternative)

19/9 Toulouse-London (booking remains unchanged so far)

23/9 London-Accra (booking remains unchanged so far)

Be prepared for tales of airport queues, last minute delays and lost bags….. or not. I remain an optimist!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls