BA cabin crew set to back new strikes

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 178 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

5751 represents what percentage of total cabin crew at BA ??

Hippocampus
    Participant

Assuming 13,000 crew it’s 44% of crew.

Potakas
    Participant

Message from WW, posted here:

http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew/429534-ba-cc-industrial-relations-current-airline-staff-only-126.html

”Unite has informed us that the cabin crew ballot has resulted in a vote in favour of strike action among the union’s crew members.

However, it is clear from the result that Unite does not have the support of the majority of our cabin crew. Of our 13,500 crew, only 43 per cent voted in favour of strike action in this ballot.

Unite has lost about 2,500 cabin crew members since this dispute started, as crew have voted with their feet. Even with a smaller membership, the proportion of Unite members supporting disruption continues to fall, contrary to the union’s claims.

We urge Unite to return to the deal we negotiated, which guarantees pay rises for the next two years and secures terms and conditions for our existing crew that are the best in the UK industry.

Tony Woodley shook hands on this deal in October. Unite said it would recommend it to members, but then reneged on its promise. This U-turn reflected the union’s deep-seated internal divisions, especially its dysfunctional relationship with its crew branch, BASSA.

It is time for Unite to listen to the majority of crew and to its members in other parts of the airline, who want an end to this dispute.

Unite has not announced whether, or when, it plans to take industrial action. However, here is how you can help.

Volunteering

Due to the tremendous support and effort you showed during the previous strikes, we were able to keep our flag flying and support our customers and our cabin crew colleagues who came to work.

The response we received across the airline was fantastic, with every department volunteering to Back BA in the air and on the ground.

Backing BA – in the air

We have launched the chance for more colleagues to train and work alongside cabin crew. You will need permission from your line manager before applying via the homepage of the intranet.

Customer Support Programme

We would also need volunteers for a number of other key roles to support our customers and colleagues on the ground. Last time, the response was overwhelming with over 8,500 shifts covered during the period of disruption.

When we know the details of any strike action, there will be a wealth of information on the intranet to help you choose which role would be right for you, and again, you should speak with your manager before you volunteer.

In the meantime, volunteers are advised to make sure their details are up to date in the CSP booking tool.

My role

As you know, Keith Williams takes over as BA chief executive at midnight tonight and I will be moving to head up International Airlines Group (IAG).

Talks with Unite on cabin crew issues have been taking place for almost two years and during that time I have assisted our industrial relations team. I will continue to be available.

Thank you for your support.”

I tried to find the original source of this letter but i wasn’t able through google.

Alasdair
    Participant

It’s nice to know WW is still positive even though nearly 6000 members of his staff are willing to strike. Is he burying his head in the sand? Volunteer all they want, I have a feeling things won’t be so easy and straightforward for BA this time.

Hippocampus
    Participant

Alasdair,

It is not enough to “have a feeling”. You have to deal with facts, or as BASSA supporters like to say, FACTS.

No-one is surprised that there has been a vote for a strike. There are so many issues related to the previous ballot that it’s not surpising that given 4,900 crew went on strike last time, many will vote to strike again. By previous BASSA standards, this is a very very weak mandate. BASSA has historically been able to call for a very strong mandates for strike action (to “send a message” etc). It has always been part of the negotiating tactics in industrial relations at BA to vote in favour of strikes. However, never before have a minority of crew voted to strike.

However, bear in mind the following:

– BASSA/CC89 have lost, by their own numbers, over 2,500 members since this started and there’s no reason to believe this trend won’t continue. Given their notoriously poor record-keeping and anecdotal claims of non-union members receiving ballot papers, this number could be higher. BA can be absolutely confident that over 3,000 of its 13,500 crew will not be participating in strike action.

– History has shown that there a world of difference between a vote by cabin crew to strike and participating in strike action. Only 4,900 crew of the 7,482 crew who voted to strike went on strike and of those 4,900, 600 returned to work.

– BA is better prepared than ever before in keeping the operation running. More volunteer crew have been trained. It is inevitable that staff travel will be withdrawn this time and crew will know that BA is not bluffing and that staff travel will not be restored in “five minutes”.

– Supporters have of BASSA can post as much vitriol as they like, but there is no getting away from the fact that this dispute was lost a long time ago (the original causes of the dispute are a distant memory) and the best that can be hoped for is to salvage some of the wreakage BASSA has itself created.

– By going on strike BASSA and CC89 have lost members, strikers have lost pay, staff travel, friendships and damaged their working relationships. If there hadn’t been strikes many of the incidents (pouring milk over crew rest bunks in BKK) that caused sackings
    wouldn’t have happened.

So why on earth is going on strike going to be any different this time?

And we haven’t even begun on the legal problems!

Alasdair
    Participant

I know, apparently Unite is contesting BA on a number of issues re the previous strike which will come out in the wash later this year (staff travel, pay issues etc).

But there are very different types of strike action and I am surprised Unite hasn’t adopted them to date. With this mandate I guess it is just a waiting game and a case of watch this space.

Strikes are indeed senseless, negotiation is not.

Hippocampus
    Participant

“But there are very different types of strike action and I am surprised Unite hasn’t adopted them to date. With this mandate I guess it is just a waiting game and a case of watch this space.”

No there aren’t in the UK. Unite has to follow the proper process and give 7 days notice of strike action. Unite will not take the chance of illegal (assuming this ballot is actually legal!) industrial action. Witness their response to the window blinds fiasco:

http://uniteba.com/ESW/Files/100805.BA.Repudiation.pdf

The suggestion originally touted by Duncan Holley months ago, as part of his “guerilla tactics” against his former employer of “phoney” strikes by calling off strikes at the last minute is really clutching at straws.

“Strikes are indeed senseless, negotiation is not.”

Quite. It was a shame that BASSA and CC89 would not sit in the same room as each other, wasn’t it?

batraveller2
    Participant

Whilst I still have the confidence to fly BA (excluding the joke of Mixed fleet), the reputation of BA in the States is destroyed by the threat of strikes (regardless of whether all long haul flights operate) and I think will impact the airline significantly. It is a very sad state of affairs that WW has let the airline get into with the personal battles with Unite as that is all it is now! It is fine for us UK based customers not to worry as in reality we know the strike is meaningless as most flights will operate, but that is not the percepion overseas. It is a very sad state of affairs and I do not think the public should be involved in what is now a personal battle.BA is meant to be our flagship carrier (and in my view is with non mixed fleet long haul crew) but peoples patience may not last another strike (regardles of what is operated) as I know friends travelling on Virgin who would always go on BA.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

The BA top men are like boys who pee in their pants for warmth in the winter – their behaviour will provide temporary relief from cold but the situation is followed by an even worse predicament.

pussycat
    Participant

I haven’t taken any flgihts for a while and have obviously taken my eye of the ball on this. I’m shocked to find that this still hasn’t been sorted out.
    Hippocampus gives a percentage of crew who who have voted to strike as 44% of the entire cabin crew workforce. Assuming the original 13000 figure also includes overseas based staff, and cabin crew who obviously don’t feel this is their fight, eg LGW and other bases. Then the percentage of cabin crew who are Heathrow based and unhappy is even higher than 44%. Possibly over 50%. Even after all this time.
    As for the number who actually take industrial action. That is unlikely to be quite so high, due to many reasons.
    However, what on earth are the BA management team going to do to re-engage this enourmous percentage of their key work force. This is certainly not the militant minority we keep being told about.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Does anyone have the stats on how many Heathrow based crew have opted to Strike? Or could anyone hazard an educated guess? How many crew at based at LHR ?

Travellator
    Participant

Despite my loyalty to BA I suffered CE flights operated by Mickey Mouse airlines last year – free boarding no Club. Also an Asian flight in First which was pretty appalling.

I have the same booked this year and will decline to fly BA if I am strike bound.

BASSA and BA are big boys and should be able to sort this out.

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

pussycat
    Participant

Thankyou for that link CallmeIshmael.
    I found the article to be very interesting and I agree with the writer that this dispute needs to be ended in an adult manner.
    I wonder if any one knows if there are any talks taking place.
    Surely the new faces at the top of both BA and Unite are the perfect oportunity to settle and for both sides to save face.

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

To prevent the risk of the ballot being invalidated due to linkage with previous ballot the process is going to run.

Totally agree Pussycat, there are two new new faces so best to start afresh.

Both sides are wasting significant resources on this dispute and will continue to do so unless they negotiate with desire to achieve a fair settlement, respect one another and agree a common goal.

I hope they both realise the damage being caused, current and residual. BA wishing to neutralise BASSA somewhat, Unite needing to demonstrate they are effective in protecting their members across the country whether they are in BASSA, CC89, Amicus, GMPU, ASTMS.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 178 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls