British Airways A350 Routes

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)

• BackOfThePlane
    Participant

With BA introducing the A350 to its fleet relatively soon, does anyone have any idea / thoughts on which routes it will be used on?

With a relatively large capacity, new Club World but no First Class, I think it’s quite a hard one to call?

Speedbird1994
    Participant

I believe it will be launched on familiarisation flights to Madrid, followed by an as-yet undisclosed North American destination.

LaWhore
    Participant

My guess would be current destinations served by mid J and the ones with little F demand but high volume overall. Perhaps YVR, DEN, NBO, ACC or SAN.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

At the same time as BA introduce their first A350 (July), they are retiring their oldest 747. In the last 7 days that 747 has flown between Heathrow and Cape Town, Phoenix & Las Vegas. I don’t suppose the new A350 will simply replace it on those routes.

sparkyflier
    Participant

This is quite tough to predict, mainly as there is no first class. Backoftheplane good suggestions, but I think all of these are T3 routes, and question if BA would prefer to use such an important new aircraft and new J product from T5.

Also these routes have no competition, and so I wonder if they will want to use the new products to differentiate themselves from rival products. When the A380 was launched it was put on routes with plenty of competition, but mainly Virgin routes (LA,San Fran, HK & JoBurg).

So as suggested Madrid will be used for familiarisation/training etc, and wonder if Newark could be in line- with VS and United and their customers BA will try to win over..?

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Yes, I think that Newwark is a good call – also interesting to see how close BA are to Cathay config (also an A350-1000) of 46 in business, 32 in premium and 256 at the back.

MarkivJ
    Participant

I agree, I say East coast city – EWR, IAD or MIA.

Londonfrog
    Participant

I’d say DMD

Folium
    Participant

Not sure Doomadgee in NW Queensland is likely to see an A350 anytime soon. Presume you mean DME!

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=917946]With BA introducing the A350 to its fleet relatively soon, does anyone have any idea / thoughts on which routes it will be used on?

With a relatively large capacity, new Club World but no First Class, I think it’s quite a hard one to call?[/quote]

Will be interesting to see. And the two clues we have are that it will be a North American destination. And one that is currently served by a mid-J 747. So it could literally be anywhere as seasonally mid J’s appear on a variety of routes – PHX, MIA, DEN…even JFK.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Isn’t the 350 launch meant to be a double launch, the aircraft and the new J seat.

BA must want this to be in a blaze of glory bright lights & glory. Makes you wonder if the aircraft will bypass short haul familiarisation flights and go straight into a longhaul service.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=918527]Isn’t the 350 launch meant to be a double launch, the aircraft and the new J seat.

BA must want this to be in a blaze of glory bright lights & glory. Makes you wonder if the aircraft will bypass short haul familiarisation flights and go straight into a longhaul service.[/quote]

Yes that’s right. New aircraft, new CW seat.

In terms of which route will be first it’s also worth considering which will be second and third. Firstly, it’s highly unlikely BA will split the four A350’s between terminal three and terminal five. The same as no BA 787’s or A380’s operate from terminal three. Terminal three has several contenders for the A350 – PHX, MIA, CPT, DEN. And also the crew have been told initially only one fleet (worldwide or MF) will operate on the aircraft (and PHX CPT MIA are all MF routes).

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

I’m not sure what the schedule of deliveries is for BA’s A350 but, while they have just 1, I’m guessing that distance from London will be a consideration as they will want to keep the aircraft going back and forth on the same route. Easier to do that if they’re flying to destinations in North East of US?

Or perhaps they’ll launch it to Tel Aviv and steal some of Virgin’s thunder?

sparkyflier
    Participant

Good point Backoftheplane. And CPT being 11-12 hours, and sitting idle during the day at CPT before it returns to London will hardly be an efficient use of a new plane. Would also make it difficult to do PHX for turnaround reasons. I still think it will be US/Canada east side..although Denver does have merit as in the summer I think UA operates to Denver and so there is competition..and can be turned around in 24 hours there and back.

Did quite like your Virgin/Tel Aviv thoughts though 😉

pheighdough
    Participant

rferguson sorry to correct you but MIA is a T3 destination and it does have A380s flying the route.

The short-haul LHR-MAD-LHR route is an essential for crew familiarity on landings and take-offs initially but may also continue replacing the current B777-200/B777-300 on the BA460/461 service.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls