BA 2014/15+: What next?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 329 total)

• greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

HFF, I am now wise after the event – airlineroute.net this am reports that for W15 BA’s LAX route goes 1×380 and 1x 777-300 as opposed to 2×380 this winter. On the other hand AA have put in extra capacity, and I recall that so have Delta/Virgin after their refocusing on North America in 2015.

openfly
    Participant

With so many long haul flights being displaced to T3, BA will be unable to offer the Concorde Room, for departures and arrivals, as one of the perks of flying First. It will be a case of if you are lucky you might get the Concorde Room!!

To the BA bean counters…just think how much money you could save by dumping the Concorde Room. It would make a well-positioned Marks and Spencer or even another Wetherspoons.

Another case of a screwed up product in BA. The slippery slide goes on.

Still, at least if you can use a Middle East carrier you know that you will get a consistent quality product and value for money.

Is there a BA arrivals lounge in T3?

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

We’ve been here before.

From 2008 to 2013, SYD, SIN and BKK all used T3, missing out on the new CCR.

From 2004 to 2008, HKG and (if my memory serves me correctly JFK) used T1 whilst most of the decent lounge facilities were over in T4.

SenatorGold
    Participant

Going back even further from 2000 to 2001 CPT, LOS and MIA flights were at T3 while the remainder of BA LHR long haul flights operated from T4.

TominScotland
    Participant

HFF – “From 2008 to 2013, SYD, SIN and BKK all used T3, missing out on the new CCR”

This was, presumably, because of the JV with Qantas at the time, with BKK being a legacy from the BA09/10 through Kangeroo service.

rferguson
    Participant

BA launching LHR- Krakow 4 x weekly May ’15.

canucklad
    Participant

A couple of thoughts have gone through my brain after reading the re-distribution of flights.
    As loyal BA customers are we being penalised because IB has parking spaces at T5 ?
    As a YVRite , am I to assume that BA see’s this route, along with the other T3 destinations as of secondary importance to their network?
    I get the lack of “F” facilities at T5 , but transferring from T5 to T3 moves KLM to the top of my choices in Y and AC too, as long as I’m not in their bovine class. What other rationale has prompted this move, lack of competition ?

SenatorGold
    Participant

The return of Kraków is very welcome. Kraków was formerly served from LGW until winter 2008. I had assumed that BA stopped flying to Kraków because it couldn’t compete with Easyjet on this route. So it’s interesting that this will now be an LHR route. Any idea from which terminal. Warsaw flights use T3.

rferguson
    Participant

Canucklad I think aircraft rotation would also have had a big part to play. All of the current ‘sub fleet’ of 747’s with Old F that fly from T5 are being moved to T3 – I guess these routes when rotated together allow a designated number of aircraft to be based at T3 and utilised efficiently without the need to tow aircraft between T5 and T3.

But I would say that in terms of F demand BA probably do see those destinations as ‘secondary’. I believe they also have more traffic originating at LHR than other routes with much higher levels of transfer traffic which makes sense to keep at T5.

I think what BA should focus on now is a much more ‘streamlined’ transit process between T5 and T3. I would hope the increase in flights from T3 will justify the investment in better facilities for this.

rferguson
    Participant

Krakow operating from T5 Senator.

SenatorGold
    Participant

Thanks rf! It would be nice if the WAW flights could return to T5.

openfly
    Participant

An idea! Allow T3 F passengers to checkin via T5 and use the Concorde Room and it’s facilities. Then departing F passengers via T3 have a smart shuttle bus from a fixed T5 area to the aircraft at T3. This could be similar to the LH offering.

The only problem is that it would cost BA a little money to operate this system….and we all know that BA and it’s managers do not like spending money!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

SGJNI1961 – 11/11/2014 20:30 GMT : So pleased my trip in F to MIA is April so the CCR in T5 is available, not so overly bothered it will be a 747, however, I spent an afternoon in the Galleries T3 lounge a few weeks ago and found it very agreeable. Not been to T3 F yet.

T3 F is very nice, not least because it is so quiet. I have been there at various times of day and only once has it been even remotely busy – it seems ridiculously spacious for the amount of traffic. Not much of a view (over the apron but close to the gates so mostly you just see a couple of planes, rather close up). There is a separate F dining room (for F pax only)

openfly – 12/11/2014 09:02 GMT : Is there a BA arrivals lounge in T3?

BA use the AA arrival lounge in T3, which is small but adequate. I have only been there at breakfast time (arriving from HKG) and there is a limited hot breakfast (bacon, hash browns, sausages but some way short of a full English), toast available on request, usual cereals, yoghurts and so forth plus soft drinks and hot drinks. However, the showers are much better than those in the T5 arrival lounge, and they have a pressing service which is very efficient.

rferguson – 12/11/2014 10:48 GMT : I think what BA should focus on now is a much more ‘streamlined’ transit process between T5 and T3. I would hope the increase in flights from T3 will justify the investment in better facilities for this.

I agree, but isn’t that a HAL issue rather than a BA one? And I know from personal experience that the current system whereby there is an airside transfer but still full security checking at T5 with no priority queue is infuriating – and painfully slow.

openfly
    Participant

IanfromHKG ….thanks for the info on the T3 arrivals lounge.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Sharm el Sheikh is back, after a 2/3 year gap, but with A320 as opposed to 777 previously. From LGW again.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 329 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls