BA 2014/15+: What next?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 329 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

“sparkyflyer – 25/04/2014 11:22 GMT
    I agree with you that the BA network into developing nations now is pretty poor, almost pathetic, and not timely as it is these economies that have been growing robustly in recent years, at 4-10% per annum and they want direct connections to London, a truly world super-city.. It is my opinion that BA is to some extent selling UK PLC short, and also its shareholders. “

Not really convinced by that. These days new inward investment and trade flows with Africa are as likely to be from emerging markets and my experience with a few exceptions the countries are just as likely to be interested in direct flights to Dubai or Beijing as they are in London.

In the last year we have probably been 10 times to Africa and not used BA once. Partly because it’s almost as easy to fly via Dubai (doing some business on the way) and partly because when we did look at BA for Ghana trips the old ‘Saturday night’ rule meant they were hopelessly uncompetitive.

canucklad
    Participant

At first I thought MSP was an inspired choice, after a wee bit more thought you need to consider the local demographics of Minnesota!

If there were more Smiths and MacPhersons in the twin cities phone book it might be a goer. As it is I’m certain the “V” section of the book is full of Vans and Vons. A natural hunting ground for KL & LH !

Similar to why AF doesn’t fly to YVR.

Another thing that should be on BA’s radar is the likely consequences of the potential redirection of foreign and economic policy if the “out” campaign succeed and I’m not talking about us rebellious scots up here!

SergeantMajor
    Participant

The out campaign, in either Her Majesty’s Scotland or the wider UK/Europe arena, will not succeed in its ultimate goals.

I hope, however, that the side effect of the debate will be less Scotch influence in English affairs, and less EU meddling in British interests,coupled with a resurgent focus on trade with the Commonwealth and the Americas.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

If you’d bothered to read the post above mine, you’d realise.

(Oh but I see yet another aggressive, post stalking comment from KarlMarx to which I was responding, has since been removed).

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Of course BA does own 15% of fly be.

It has Cityflyer flights from LCY.

SunAir flights from MAN.

Comair flights in South Africa (ripe for expansion).

Open Skies from Paris.

Not to mention the one world Joint Ventures.

It’s really only been Union resistance to lower costs which kaiboshed regional expansion, but as can be seen from the list above, British Airways has got around that impediment.

Is the Edinburgh-Ibiza Mixed Fleet or Citiflyer?

Tirana1
    Participant

A suggested focus on growth emerging markets suitable for a long/thin specific aircraft includes: Africa – Dar es Salam, Maputo, Kigali, Central Asia – Ulan Bator, increasing Almaty to 6x weekly (this is important because it is one of the few potential C Asia hubs given its airline is not banned for EU markets and so can be used by international corporates without difficult insurance issues arising). All the relevant economies have significant growth prospects and a sufficient nexus with London focused professional services markets for financial/historical/legal reasons to make direct flights worthwhile considering. They are also all developing regional centres, save Ulan Bator. To the UK nexus these markets have can be added the US/Canadian customer base that would more readily transit through London than the current alternatives of Moscow/Istanbul for C Asia and Nairobi/Jo’burg for Africa.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

I believe Fort Lauderdale, Florida is just awaiting completion of runway expansion at FLL and availability of the right aircraft.

Will be interesting to see how popular Norwegian’s Gatwick-FLL 787 service is. Fares are not inexpensive for premium economy.

KarlMarx
    Participant

SergeantMajor – 25/04/2014 14:45 GMT

If you’d bothered to read the post above mine, you’d realise.

(Oh but I see yet another aggressive, post stalking comment from KarlMarx to which I was responding, has since been removed).

I did read the post above yours and decided to delete my post because there was the most tenuous connection bet ween Canucklad’s question about the effect of a ‘yes’ decision on British Airways’s business and your party political broadcast (aka rant) that followed.

No more than the slightest glancing blow, but I deleted it anyway in the interests of netiquette.

I find it interesting that you regard a straightforward question asking for the relevance of your political broadcast as being ‘aggressive thread stalking’ and my partner, who is a psychiatrist, has just commented that such comments are not atypical in people who suffer from psychosis, so I will withdraw from further dialogue with you.

rferguson
    Participant

Apparently Chengu is flying almost empty at the moment. Time will tell if the route becomes a success.

I think that as soon as relations between the west and Iran thaw sufficiently BA will be back to Tehran very quickly.

KarlMarx
    Participant

I have never seen BA doing particularly well in China, but believe that the company has a good future in carving out niche routes from London to the US, as well as maintaining its current routes.

canucklad
    Participant

Tirana1 you’re analysis is well thought out and would be an approach that would surely give the airline the opportunity to grow market share.

Alas, see sparkflyers comment above about geographical knowledge : (

Now to SM’s post. I was not political point scoring so to speak and as such am going to take your riposte in the light hearted way I’m sure it was meant. Or at the very least an unfortunate spelling mistake that we’re all guilty of from tame to tame

SergeantMajor
    Participant

More aggressive bullying from KarlMarx.

It is not acceptable to infer someone is psychotic.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Quite right, Canuck, spelling challenging as I’m on my iPad by the pool this afternoon!

KarlMarx
    Participant

SergeantMajor – 25/04/2014 15:40 GMT

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, an expert might infer it is a duck.

An expert looked at your post and commented.

It was not me, but I trust the expert.

rferguson
    Participant

I guess in reality BA are always looking at a number of new routes and it’s in a state of flux. Some might look a great opportunity one minute, then something changes and it no longer looks profitable or somewhere more enticing comes along. Any new route takes a huge investment so it’s long term viability has to be evident.

I think the 787 will be the game changer in terms of new routes as it is so much more economical to operate and not too many seats to fill. For BA Asia is obviously a weakness as not only do the Gulf carriers offer what are often superior products at lower prices but also because passengers in asia tend to be more loyal to flying with their local carriers. BA is fortunate with Japan as it is a Joint Business with JAL so has the home carriers support. BA has good brand recognition and many corporate accounts in Hong Kong which also helps that route. Seoul is apparently going onto the 787 soon, I guess the 777 is too large to fill as well as more expensive to operate.

Jakarta as a tag from Singapore actually came so close to launch that the trip was loaded in our crew bidding system. Then after a couple weeks and no word from BA, removed. SGN continues to be rumoured as does Santiago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 329 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls