Another BA enhancement…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 182 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

So here’s the rub…..
    If I book a typical combination of business flights from EDI to LHR next week I’m not going to get much change out of £400 ..
    And the difference between the HBO and full cost is just £10 on the outbound flight.

Now BA must assume I’m going to be going on a massive shopping spree in between meetings, because it won’t allow me to book an HBO fare home.

Plus the cynical chap inside my head is wondering whether or not your BAEC profile will work in our favour or BA’s favour when the system allocates your seat.

SimonS1
    Participant

I just priced a random LHR-EDI return in mid April.

Headline price £113.77 on HBO basis. Of this £46 goes to the airline and the rest to APD and airport service charges.

I can’t believe £23 each way gives the airline much profit, and when you start throwing in other extras for status passengers I would imagine the margins are thin to non existent.

If I buy the cheapest fares (and the HBO fares were £20 or 30% cheaper) I can appreciate that the airline might want me to pay more for the frills such as seat allocation. Not saying it is specific to Canucklad but there are plenty of people on FT who want to have access to the cheapest fares but also want have a few drinks, something to eat in the lounge, priority access to row 1 seats etc.

Sooner or later I would expect to see the rules for lounge access changed as well.

SimonS1
    Participant

I don’t know what your “typical combination” is Canucklad.

I am on the BA website now and for next week it is offering me EDI-LHR on Monday morning either 7am or 9am for £70 and 16.20 return to EDI on Friday afternoon for £89. Total £159 and HBO each way. You have to put the outward flight in first before it brings up the return HBOs.

Of that fare £90 goes to the airline and the rest is taxes/airport charges.

The only way I can get it to £400 is if you select a day return on Monday and the most expensive seats both ways – but then late booking less than a week out has always been expensive (therefore hardly “typical”). Do the same day return on Thursday and it is a lot cheaper.

Yes there is a saving of £10 on both legs. That’s still almost 20% of what the airline would earn from your week’s trip so I can’t say I’m surprised if they are limiting the frills in return.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Simon
    I do get your point, but imagine how you would feel if you were me, and my work plan was more predictable than it is now.. ..

And I’m thinking of my schedule back in the days of BD, when I could block book a month’s worth of flights a month in advance.

I’m showing loyalty to BA, gaining status due to the sheer amount of flights I’m taking, and then they create to charge to squeeze more blood out my loyal stone

Shabby….very shabby.

And remember, the lowest flights appear earliest, without an option of paying more

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hi all,

For me this is really about BA just coming clean about what they are doing and why? Going forward they want to encourage their passengers to spend more and in return for doing that they will get more Avios and more tier points and so more frills and benefits.

The fact that they seem to be doing it by stealth is what seems to be alienating most people. they also do not help themselves by continually using the mantra that the feedback they are getting from passengers is positive thus giving the impression that they are doing what their loyal passengers are asking them too.

If someone from BA was look at this and other threads then they might actually see that they are wrong.

Another question I would ask my fellow posters is do BA actually care what their customers think?

Safe travels to you all.

JC

FaroFlyer
    Participant

I am not sure that the change is a big one. Last week I was HBO from LHR to HAM. Until 3 days before departure the system would only allow me to book emergency exit row or back from there. At 3 days before I was able to get the C seat behind the curtain.
    The amount that BA actually got from me for that sector was minimal as I spent 2 hours in the T5 First lounge before departure.

I shall become “agnostic” later in the year. 2 more long hauls and I achieve Lifetime Gold, so can finally “experiment” with other long haul carriers, although I must say that my experiences to HKG with AF, KL, VS, SR, RJ, VS, EK and AY, in the last 6 years, have not been better than BA.
    I would love to fly CX again, business, but can never find a decent fare. Where do they sell tickets? Online they are always the dearest.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ FaroFlyer – 03/03/2015 14:38 GMT

Re: flying with CX, well yes, they are seriously excellent but with fares to match. Beyond availing of the Christmas/New Year and late April/early May (Easter?) seat sales, have you looked into ex-AMS fares to HKG? They can be nearly £2K less than ex-LHR! Even allowing for a J fare LON-AMS-LON, you will be comprehensively quids in.

openfly
    Participant

@FaroFlyer

Frequently the front rows of economy are held back until 24 hours before the departure. This is to allow more CE bookings and the final position of the cabin divider for that flight is only decided at that time.

openfly
    Participant

Just had a constructive chat with Gold Card Customer Service…highly sympathetic at the situation and has raised a customer complaint note. He suggested that to get this decision reversed that Golds call in on 0800123111 and voice their protest to them. Each call will get a complaint number….let’s try to reverse the ridiculous decision.

SimonS1
    Participant

@Canucklad – In the interests of accuracy it really isn’t correct that the BA website only shows the cheapest fares and there is no option to pay more. The main screen allows to you chose between baggage inclusive and HBO fares. Then scroll down on the price tab in the booking process and it also gives you the option to pay a premium for semi flex and fully flex tickets at a premium.

Just the same as it isn’t correct to say you can’t get the return leg as HBO (that comes up when you select the outward flight).

I understand that you are showing loyalty to BA and booking lots of flights. My point is that taking lots of flights is not the same as generating income and profits for the airline. In that respect BD probably isn’t the best example to use really – I believe it was losing £1m a month on its Scotland routes when it ceased to exist. So much for having lots of loyal customers.

BigDog.
    Participant

For those interested in CX – there is a limited sale…..

….To celebrate 35 years of travelling well from the UK to Hong Kong and beyond we have some unmissable fares. Travel to China from just £399*, to Japan from £403* and you could be exploring Australia from £500*.
    If you are travelling from Manchester our sale has some unmissable Business Class fares with flights to Tokyo starting from just £1964* return. Furthermore, last week we won a Gold Business Traveller UK Cellars in the Sky award for our Business Class Champagne, Cuvée William Deutz Brut Millésimé (2000, France). So there has never been a better time to sit back, relax and try out our award-winning sparkle in the sky.
    We still have fares available, but hurry book now while seats last….

IanFromHKG
    Participant

FaroFlyer, the Memsahib is also getting excellent fares ex-DUB

TMCWoking
    Participant

All FYI, BA’s latest ‘enhancement’ is easily circumvented with respect to EC members not being able to pre-assign their preferred seating on HBO fares – book a fare including baggage; the net difference in cost can be as little as £3

BA319131
    Participant

TMCWoking,

That is not really the point, the point is BA are giving us 2 fingers when it comes to loyalty.

The removal of seat selection for Gold & Silver members is just petty and should never have been pushed through, just makes those running the BAEC seem more vindictive to the loyal EC members.

I have e-mailed my comments to BA as I feel genuinely aggravated by this latest EC ‘enhancement’, they really don’t seem to give a monkeys about us.

jamesay
    Participant

Agreed! I too have emailed and complained. We are spending many thousands to achieve a status to get some small perks, like pre-seating, which many other carriers do for everyone at point of sale!
    This is just bizarre.
    I’d advocate that everyone on this site contacts and complains! Otherwise they think silence equals complicity and agreement.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 182 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls