Air marshalls on all US carrier into USA… a step too far?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

• Anonymous

Binman62
    Participant

I have heard on US TV (CBS evening news) that all US carriers are to have air marshalls for all flights to the USA.

There is probably only one thing I worry about more than a terrorist on a plane and that is an American with a gun.

If this is true then I would boycott all US carriers permanently as this is simply the dumbest thing I have ever heard. There may be such individuals now but they are radomly allocated and while it still concerns me it seems eminently sensible and good for security that they are.

It is also typically arrogant of the USA for them to suggest that the threat exists only outwith the United States. Need they be reminded that 9/11 was a domestic incident. All other incidents have failed or been stopped through good itelligence and police work…..and thank all gods .

I had hoped that things were getting better and that the usual high handed, arrogant and in your face methods of US security were coming to an end…how wrong can you be.

Wildgoose
    Participant

Well, I for one, while appreciating Binman’s sentiments, would feel safer with an Air Marshall on board. After all, El Al have had them for years and when was the last time an El Al aircraft was hijacked?
    11/9 could have been prevented if the US agencies had gotten their act together and had acted on the intelligence available to them about the Saudi and other ME terrorists.

watersz
    Participant

American pilots have been allowed to carry guns in the cockpit since 2002- currently 200 are doing so

Personaly I dont mind either…

excessbaggage
    Participant

Really? – what sort of training do they have to undergo to qualify for this? I have to say it worries me if civilians are carrying arms…

watersz
    Participant

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/7/10/194540.shtml

if you google around the subject more info is available

AsiaPacific
    Participant

Sorry , Have to agree with Binman. Last week we saw that despite being advised directly by the guys DAD, the “security” officials didn’t manage to put the guy on a no-fly list or even revoke his visa… sorry – hard to really believe these people have their collective acts together… let alone giving them guns in a plane… no … all flights to the US for me on a non – US carrier. Now the comments about El Al and guns… the difference is , those guys are professionals !!!! and they take security a little more seriously than the ‘lame’ attempt at window dressing I see in many other places just to placate the voting public…

Kaicat75
    Participant

While i appreciate some people will have reservations about armed air marshalls i personally dont mind.

And with regards to pilots carrying guns already the mentality towards guns is very different in america while you will always get people using guns for illegal puposes. You will find most people who own guns in the states for sporting or protection purposes take the time to be trained properly.

fasttracker
    Participant

So a gun can kill a potential terrorist if the terrorist tries to get into the cockpit – which they have already done. Nothing will stop someone going to the loo and blowing themselves up. Do we have to have armed guard on loo too?

I think it will be good for general passenger behaviour – noisy children, drunken abusive passengers – but if someone wants to blow themselves and the plane to kingdom come and a guy with a gun says I am going to shoot you – well know who will win.

Kaicat75
    Participant

Your right it wont stop people blowing themselves up if they want too.

But if it make Americans feel happier then its going to happen. As its been said already for people not happy with having air marshalls on their flights there will always be alternate non american carriers to fly with.

AsiaPacific
    Participant

How about introducing decent, effective security like EL AL, then the prospects of bombs or anything similar becomes almost non-existent. The charade of security we currently have patently does not work. I would much prefer a total search of all cabin luggage, a pat down, even if it meant an earlier checkin, at least then I have a a higher degree of confidence of no issues on board. Lets get serious about security !

AMcWhirter
    Participant

El Al probably has the best security of any airline. But, as has been mentioned here before, would passengers tolerate El Al’s lengthy check-in times ?

Could the airports cope with having to allocate more terminal and gate space so that airlines could carry out El Al-style security checks ? Yes, the airports could if they handled fewer flights but then that would mean a big change in our travel habits.

TheDarkKnight
    Participant

Security will always be breached. Just like banks will always be robbed. Banks employ ex hackers to try and hack into their new systems – if only we could think like a terrorist to know what they will try next.

Airlines and border control have to be a step ahead of these people but the problem is the only result these people want is as much damage as possible and there are many ways of doing this.

I think it is admirable that we are still fighting to keep people secure but sadly I don’t think we can stop all such attempts to damage lives.

IronEagle
    Participant

America always goes over the top
    They think they are the center of the world

chrisknowles
    Participant

el al is the way to do it racial profiling ………… at check in at frankfurt / tlv and ste dov …….”uk passport sir ?” you must see my supervisor , sorry about the delay ……….. says it all really………….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls