Afternoon Tea

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

• Anonymous

esselle
    Participant

I have just read the article about SQ beginning an afternoon tea service on SIN-LHR, which goes on to mention the BA/Dorchester inspired afternoon tea in First.

Does anybody know if this is still being offered? I have no recollection of seeing it on board for quite some while.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

esselle, not sure this one got overlooked, but yes it is still offered

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/first-dining/public/en_ca

I wonder if SQ’s will be twinned with Raffles?

Binman62
    Participant

“Indulge in our sumptuous Afternoon Tea, a First signature dish, for which we took the inspiration from one of London’s most luxurious and iconic hotels, The Dorchester, to honour this British ritual and tradition. It includes a mouth–watering selection of finely cut sandwiches and sumptuous cakes, served with a variety of flavoursome teas from around the world………..

LOL

You have to give it to BA marketing they are brilliant. Just a pity that delivery of the above is so poor.

Recent experience on West Coast service was that the “finely cut” finger sandwhiches would have shamed Greggs and would probaly have been rejected by a Glasgow Shipbuilder. They were decidely arthritic – curling nicely at the ends.

The closest this product has ever got the Dorchester was when the aircraft flew over central London when heading off to the USA!

If I were the GM of that fine hotel I do not think I would wish my brand to be associated with BAs First in any shape or form.

Rather think SQ may do things differently and would hope that they may adopt the old Tiffin service of raffles Hotels ( before it was Disneyfied) I had the pleasure of that service in the mid 80’s when the long bar was still open air and no one every swept up the monkey nut cases.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Binman you should try to attend the BA Taste of London festival you will be able to try their new high altitude tea and try the new menus for food as well as give feedback.

Also you should get a chance to meet with BA management in charge of catering and will allow you the chance to give them your criticisms

http://www.tastefestivals.com/london/content/390/British-Airways—Height-Cuisine

“no one every swept up the monkey nut cases.” – would you please elaborate? not sure if that place sounds hygienic?

VintageKrug
    Participant

…though I think some of the “nut cases” have ended up posting on this forum ;o

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Binman62 … “The closest this product has ever got the Dorchester was when the aircraft flew over central London when heading off to the USA”

Interesting flight plan. LHR – Central London – USA????

BeckyBoop
    Participant

VK, be nice!!

canucklad
    Participant

Can’t comment on the first offering, but the Club World afternoon tea was a fanTEAsy of anything you would get in the Dorchester…… and definitely not as thick as Dockers piece…more elaboration on Glasgow shipbuilders…

BB…..I have to totally admire your dedication to this promotion…..you sure you’re not on commission!! : )

And I can take you to a pub in Richmond , BC ( not at the end of the District line) on a Thursday night where they positively encourage chucking your monkey nut casing on the floor……it’s a very unique dancing surface !!

ImissConcorde

Depending on the time of day etc. flights to the US do take off in the direction of central London before making a right or left turn.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

canuklad..no not on commission.. seriously!! 🙂 Whats that bar called? xx

Flyboy18
    Participant

whats with all the BA bashing Binman62…did your mother never say to you..if you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all?

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

BeckyBoop – 16/04/2013 10:35 GMT
    “no one every swept up the monkey nut cases.” – would you please elaborate? not sure if that place sounds hygienic?

Raffles Long Bar has a tradition of putting out monkey nuts on the tables, the tradition is that you throw the shells on the floor to create a ‘crunch’ when people come in.

Adds to the character.

Even though Binman describes it as “Disneyfied”, I still enjoy a Sling at the Long Bar every year. Finally they’ve given up on the pre-mix and serve you a proper one now.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

” the tradition is that you throw the shells on the floor to create a ‘crunch’ when people come in.

Adds to the character.”

I wonder how that would go down if they started that in at the champagne bar in anyone of the BA lounges?

Binman62
    Participant

Scott72 Please read

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/As-good-as-it-gets

I am not bashing BA, merely commenting on aspects of their service some of which is superb “eg Customer relations” and other aspects which are, to be frank, crap “ie catering, IFE and aspects of the seating in premium cabins and rewarding loyalty.

Not sure why one must either be a BA apologist or a BA basher. The fact is, it was a once great airline and over the last 5 or 6 years in particular has lost its way focusing on dominating the market whilst frustrating development of a new airport and all the while delivering ever poorer value to customers.

BB

Taste of London. I would hope that even BA could provide a decent meal or sandwich at sea level and when surrounded by the best of chefs and catering equipment. Doing this on the ground is no great shakes even Little Chef can manage that! The test however is doing so at 36,000 and with crew.

ImissConcorde… ( so do I by the way)

The Dorchester nowhere near the flight path……..I think you make my point better than I did!

Monkey nuts.

Raffles Hotel, as AOTG mentions, had this tradition. In the old days ie the 1980’s the long bar was open to the street and was a genuine long bar and the nut casings were left where they fell. Raffles was then refurbished in the late 80’s / early 90’s into the First class hotel it is today The Disneyfied refer to the rather tacky fans in the current long bar!

I remember having Tiffin in the hotel circa 1987 and looking at the cracks and general run down nature of the building back then. Despite that it still oozed colonial charm….but then Singapore did then before taking control of its future and becoming the amazing and hugely successful city state it is today.

The long Bar sadly did not survive the refurbishment and was moved to the side of the hotel and up a floor losing much of its charm and character (IMHO). Still, as AOTG says you can still enjoy the original drink and occasional crunch before someone comes along and sweeps it all away!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls