Aer Lingus rejects / now accepts IAG takeover offer

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 125 total)

• AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ canucklad – 25/02/2015 13:06 GMT

My point is to compare the number of UK regional destinations served by KL (some 26 I think) with the number served by BA/London Airways (BHD, GLA, EDI, ABZ, NCL, MAN, LBA). This market is being served by others via AMS amongst others and EI would provide an opportunity, skirting around the LHR capacity issue, for IAG to capture that traffic.

canucklad
    Participant

I think we’re almost on the same page here AD…….
    I’ve no doubt that the EI takeover is a perfect fit for IAG. If I was in the IAG boardroom I’d be salivating at the prospect. It’s has no apparent downsides. FOR IAG

On the other hand if I’m Pat Jordan (sorry Pat, only regular EI user on the forum) I’d have many questions and reservations about how the takeover would effect me, similar to my experience with the BD takeover.
    And personally for me here in Scotland, I currently have choice, but that choice continually gets diluted every time BA opens its mouth and swallows a competitor.

So to summarise, good for IAG, but the jury is definitely out on whether its good for me, the customer.

PatJordan
    Participant

canucklad,

there has been much coverage about the viewpoints of many major stakeholders…..with the notable exception of rerular EI passengers.

I remember only too well the demise of BMI, and the fate of many former Diamond Club members who were subsumed into BAEC. Bearing in mind the number of valid complaints about BA & BAEC on this very forum, I think my concerns about the fate of Aer Lingus frequent flyers (if IAG get their way) are well founded.

The jury well mey be out, cannucklad, but I hope Aer Lingus escape the corporate clutches of IAG.

CXDiamond
    Participant

No doubt at all that this would be good for IAG and the EI board but a disaster for everyone else. I’m sure the Irish government will continue to see sense and block it.

At the moment Aer Lingus offer a very competitive product at a sensible price on the north Atlantic. No doubt IAG have their eye on the possibilities for that but I have no doubts that the pricing would rocket to LHR levels if IAG are allowed to take a greater share of the business on these routes where service standards and products are generally poor.

Perhaps a remedy could be that gulf carriers are given ten slot pairs each at LHR to operate to the US. That would wake up the present incumbents nicely.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Etihad is “willing to sell its stake in Aer Lingus to IAG,” Report in today’s Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/etihad-willing-to-sell-aer-lingus-stake-to-iag-1.2144114#.VQmXXXGQGu0.twitter

AMcWhirter
    Participant

IAG has now made a 7 year pledge on Aer Lingus’ LHR slots. via indepedent.ie

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/iag-makes-sevenyear-pledge-on-aer-lingus-heathrow-slots-31226631.html

transtraxman
    Participant

“Irish State Scrutineers To Recommend Aer Lingus Sale – Report”
    Airwise/Reuters 17-5-15

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1431909367.html

This reads like a catch 22 situation. The Irish government will present to its cabinet, with the next three weeks, a proposal to accept the sale of Aer Lingus, but only if Ryanair accepts the sale of its share. Ryanair says it will look at a possible sale if/when it receives an offer. IAG says it will only make an offer when the Irish government and Ryanair accept the offer…………….
    ………………………or I am reading this wrongly?

BigDog.
    Participant

IMHO this would be a done deal (unfortunately) by now if it wasn’t for the distrust of Walsh and highly dubious actions relating to previous takeovers and treatment of personnel.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/11627382/IAG-steps-closer-to-Aer-Lingus-takeover.html

MrMichael
    Participant

BigDog, what was dubious about what Walsh did? He took a business over that was on the verge of collapse and closure and turned it in to a viable Airline that might, just might, show a profit next year. Be great if he could do the same with Aer Lingus, that quite clearly cannot compete effectively on its own. Aer Lingus is up against the most aggressive LoCo on earth on short haul, and cannot make a go of long haul except on two routes to the USA. Even the Aer Lingus board accept that Willie can do a better job than they can.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

The last time I looked Aer Lingus served seven destinations in North America.

As for Walsh, how easy history is forgotten about the post he held before he was appointed to BA. He left Aer Lingus on its knees and recovery under Christoph Mueller has been long and painful. And you wonder why the EI staff do not want him back?

MrMichael
    Participant

Williewelsh, I do not wonder why the staff of Aer Lingus do not want Mr Walsh back, you and I know why……

edited to add……they may have seven destinations in North America, I did not actually say they only had two.

Travellator
    Participant

Done Deal – just Now !

uggboylovestravel
    Participant

Done Deal, we’re very happy to hear this. Cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 125 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls