Aer Lingus rejects / now accepts IAG takeover offer

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 125 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

After the closing bell yesterday IAG announced that acceptances for the offer to Aer Lingus´shareholders had reached 62.48%.

However, apparently,it does not include the acceptance by Ryanair which has been stated but not received. It does, though, go on to say the following.

“IAG and AERL Holding have waived the 90 per cent acceptance condition and confirms the Offer is now unconditional as to acceptances.”

“IAG announces that the Offer will remain open for acceptance until 1300 (Irish time) on 18 August 2015. There will be no further extension of the Offer unless the Offer has become wholly unconditional at that time and date.”

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Now different bourses have different takeover rules so this may not apply but is there not a right to compel the sale of any hold-out minority shareholders?

transtraxman
    Participant

I believe that……….
    Ryanair said it accepted the offer. However, it also said a formal decision would be made mid-August, thus the extension to 18/8. When formally accepted the total would higher than 90% and therefore, could be made unconditional.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s been disclosed this evening that Ryanair has accepted the offer from IAG, So the takeover goes ahead.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/0818/722114-i/

transtraxman
    Participant

Good news at last.
    Now what will be the next step to be taken by IAG?

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

how long before 777s are based in Dublin for transatlantic services?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The next step Transtraxman, will be to increase ex DUB fares!

Tallinnman
    Participant

LP +1
    Transit traffic rerouted on BA flight numbers onto EI metal.
    Smaller aircraft replacing larger aircraft at LHR with higher prices.
    Great deal for BA.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

Disagree – larger aircraft, feeding transatlantic traffic thru Dublin (perhaps one / two LHR departures to NYC), releasing LHR slots for BA expansion eastwards

Tallinnman
    Participant

AST – could happen but competition fierce in that direction. Can’t see any US slots being released as Delta/Virgin upping their corporate game, rather see more focus on West Bound routes, now able to be served through 3 hubs at 3 price points for transit traffic.

Why operate a 747 with ex EU traffic out of LHR unless you have to, when its cheaper through MAD and DUB. Replace it with the 787’s on order and fill it only with origin traffic prepared to pay for the convenience.

Are there any vacancies at BA 🙂

DerekVH
    Participant

I for one would not mind changing at DUB to have the convenience of clearing US immigration!

IRELANDSMAN
    Participant

As an Irish man i am delighted WW has taken EI into the family and shortly Aer Lingus will rejoin ONE WORLD.

Does anyone know why VUELING -An IAG member for some time has not joined ONE WORLD.

In Europe gladly i would fly Vueling only if within the OW family

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Maybe Vueling doesn’t meet all the membership criteria.

Or maybe IAG would rather not pay the fees …as is the case with SIA and Silk Air.

SimonS1
    Participant

Great move for IAG. Channel traffic from 16 (I think) UK regional airports into a Dublin hub and on to other places.

Great way of tackling capacity problems at LHR – build another hub.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ SimonS1 – 19/08/2015 16:23 BST

Other than the Irish Trades Unions’ understandable aversion to Willy Walsh, the rationale behind this deal was always staring everyone in the face so I really did not understand all the talk about “a threat to Irish jobs…” when it’s Dutch jobs at Schipol that are more likely under threat as a result. But, there’s nothing like a bit more competition for all that UK regional traffic currently “under-served” by London Airways, to up the game.

Bring it on Aer Lingus!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 125 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls