Aer Lingus rejects IAG offer again

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)

• AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

The thing that has not been mentioned here is the real rationale for the deal, which is slots at Heathrow.

IAG could maintain frequency to Dublin (with bigger aircraft, an A330 perhaps) and base a couple of 777s (re-branded to be green) there and shift a couple of mid-day flights to NY or elsewhere from LHR (with US customs clearance in Dublin as the LCY flight does in Shannon), thus freeing slots for Asian (Jakarta (direct as opposed to the rumoured tag from Singapore) / Hanoi or Saigon (with a 787, battering Vietnam Airlines that flights into LGW)) / China expansion

make commercial sense?

TominScotland
    Participant

Aer Lingus are one of the airlines in trouble with the CAA over poor customer service. On BBC radio, Aer Lingus are described as a ‘budget airline’……

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31998530

Edited to add: A later report talked about ‘major airlines’, not ‘budget’ – must have received a complaint from EI??

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Within a year EI will be bought by IAG. WW usually gets what he wants and this will be no exception. Just a matter of price really.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Irish media reports today that it’s understood the government wants a 10 year slot guaranteed at LHR.

IAG offers a five year guarantee.

http://www.independent.ie/business/aer-lingus-deal-hangs-on-heathrow-31086496.html

canucklad
    Participant

It’s good to see the Irish government playing hardball with IAG.
    If WW responds belligerently on this concession, as he’s threatened to do recently. Then I’m afraid the only conclusion that you draw is that the EI slot valuation at LHR is more paramount importance to IAG than the ongoing welfare of Irelands national carrier

icenspice
    Participant

I wonder what will happen to EI’s small base at Belfast City if and when the deal goes through?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ icenspice – 03/05/2015 17:04 BST

It is my conjecture that a major part of the rationale behind the deal is using Irish airports – particularly DUB but maybe even BHD – for UK regional traffic connecting onto west-bound services over the pond rather than going via AMS. [There were over 26 UK destinations served by KL the last time I looked]. This might then “free up” (?@!) further oh-so precious LHR slots for new services to Asia-Pacific (err, yes, heard that one before?!) in the (entirely realistic) expectation of a continued failure ever to make a decision about additional runway provision in London and the South-East.

In which case, I would expect DUB to be an expanding locus of operations and maybe BFS too… I am rather surprised at the stance taken by the government of the Irish Republic which, I would have thought, would be desperate to see such a deal done as it would potentially “big-up” rather than “slim-down” their national carrier – with all the extra jobs that would go with it.

EDITED: to substitute BHD for BFS.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

IAG should base a couple of 777 in Dublin and operate a couple of LHR’s JFK services westwards (middle of the day departures) from there, whilst placing a larger aircraft on the Aer Lingus LHR-DUB route as a feeder

the resultant slots at LHR could then be used for Jakarta, Saigon / Hanoi or additional China services (using a 787)

works?

Travellator
    Participant

BHD is EI’s base in Northern Ireland with daily flights to LHR and LGW. Seasonal flights also to Malaga, Faro and Palma.
    I doubt they will go back to BFS, that partnership ended acrimoniously.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ PatJordan – 04/05/2015 09:26 BST

And at the foot of the Irish Independent article:

Mr Walsh wants to use Aer Lingus to expand IAG’s transatlantic capacity, using Dublin as a hub to capture more passenger traffic from the UK and elsewhere to North America.

first_class_please
    Participant

Does anybody know when this deal is likely to conclude and also if Aer Lingus will become a One World member, or stay on the sidelines like Vueling?

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

fcp – Not heard anything concrete about the date of the deal signing but Aer Lingus are already a fully-fledged member of the One World alliance and I would rather hope they continue to be so, especially in light of the potential for expansion of their Dublin hub.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls