A380 or 777-300ER on 14hr flight

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

• GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=920157]

Subjectively, I fully disagree. The A380 is rubbish for many reasons I don’t need to repeat here.

However, I hope you can understand that many people – myself included – do like it. It’s (much) quieter than the B777. It has (IMHO, and I think many others will agree) a smoother ride than the B777. It feels more spacious than the B777. It has better air quality…..[/quote]

I completely agree with you, Ian. I have done many, many 11-13 hour flights on the A380 [admittedly in J], and also so many flights on the 777. I have always found the A380 to be better or much better. Just my experiences, of course, but consistent.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=920192]Mini premium cabin? We’re flying economy class. I doubt economy passengers would be allowed anywhere near the bars[/quote]

A few economy rows are indeed at the back of the upper deck. But according to https://seatguru.com/airlines/Qantas_Airways/Qantas_Airways_Airbus_A380_B.php, these seats are not that good.

PlaneLover
    Participant

Even if they stop production, these aircraft will keep flying certainly for another 10-15 years… so its a slow death, not a sudden death hopefully :-))

Solly747
    Participant

On a slightly different topic since it seems most of you guys fly alot. If I’m planning on flying 6th September. Prices are hovering around the $990 return when I look now. If I was to check pricing in July, will the pricing be higher or lower? Or maybe the same? Obviously I know that no one has a crystal ball but asking what the expected and norm would be?
    I can pay for the tickets now, but I would prefer to wait until July when I get my tax refund (yes I know roughly how much I’m getting back).

Any thoughts on this?

Solly747
    Participant

Just to throw another one in the mix, what about the 787-9 dreamliner? in comparison to the 777-300ER and the A380???

PlaneLover
    Participant

@solly747 earlier there was a system by which fares would open up closer towards date of journey… these days, im not sure if that facility still stays… this is something we cant really predict…

i recently lost a huge fare in january for a march berlin trip… KLM/Jet Airways had a great fare for just a day… next thing i new, it went up by a few hundred $ one shot and has refused to come down …

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=920274]Just to throw another one in the mix, what about the 787-9 dreamliner? in comparison to the 777-300ER and the A380???[/quote]

For me, it is B787-9 hands down. I love the air (cleaner and lower cabin altitude), the large windows that dim, the larger luggage overheads, 9 seats abreast (instead of 10 on the B777) and smaller aircraft (typically flies less than 300 pax).

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=920272]On a slightly different topic since it seems most of you guys fly alot. If I’m planning on flying 6th September. Prices are hovering around the $990 return when I look now. If I was to check pricing in July, will the pricing be higher or lower? Or maybe the same? Obviously I know that no one has a crystal ball but asking what the expected and norm would be?

I can pay for the tickets now, but I would prefer to wait until July when I get my tax refund (yes I know roughly how much I’m getting back).

Any thoughts on this?[/quote]

Difficult to say, nowadays, as algorithms are very complex. When I find a decent price and my plans are confirmed, I tend to take it. Now what is “decent”: probably something not to far from the lowest possible price (that can be found by trying to book in advance at low season, November for Europe). And the time spent tracking the fare and the associated stress is bad, which also encourage an early purchase, of course associated with a travel insurance!

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=920292]

Just to throw another one in the mix, what about the 787-9 dreamliner? in comparison to the 777-300ER and the A380???

For me, it is B787-9 hands down. I love the air (cleaner and lower cabin altitude), the large windows that dim, the larger luggage overheads, 9 seats abreast (instead of 10 on the B777) and smaller aircraft (typically flies less than 300 pax).[/quote]

This made me go have a nose at Seat Guru again. I was quite surprised to see the difference in economy seat width between the Air New Zealand 777-200ER and the Air New Zealand 777-300. But seeing that the 787’s seat width is slightly better than the worse of the 2 777s, I’d agree & opt for the 787.

Solly747
    Participant

Guys thank you all for your help. I have booked my flights.

From now on, it is what it is!!

Screenshot_120

Solly747
    Participant

I did choose “Preferred seats” for the smaller legs for $10 each seat. Only difference I can see with normal seats is priority boarding. But I’m not sure, priority to what? I’m guessing priority to the rest of the economy class.

Concorde Ray
    Participant

Dear Solly,

I am glad u are finally booked, and it was gratifying to see so much support from this community.

On offer, as a parent and long-haul travel veteran, essential items to not forget on your checklist:

1 A personal pillow for all in the party, including adults.Double up on the pillowcases, preferably Barney or Thor themed!
    2 Individual size packs of Benadryl or-if not available-at least 2 unopened bottles, to be offered freely to parents of any screaming child in
    your proximity…(Flight attendants will love you for this and will take really good care of you)
    3 comfortable and pre-tested eye shades
    4 snacks and either chewing gum or lozenges for the children on takeoff and landings to maintain healthy ear passages
    5 Ambien, 10mg at least for the adults.

Have a great trip!!!

Solly747
    Participant

Haha, I was thinking of stocking up on panadol/nurofen. My children are old enough not to be crying/screaming, (18,17,13) most of the time lol.

Yes the responses and support here have been awesome. Thank you people. I shall have a drink to you when I’m over there.

Only problem now, it’s bloody 6 months away lol

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=920315]5 Ambien, 10mg at least for the adults.[/quote]

Not wishing to come across as holier than thou but from someone who was hooked on sleeping pills for “a very long time” due to long haul travel, I would not recommend ambien or any other sleeper to combat a long journey, without a Dr’s note.

Yes, I am also a reformed smoker 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls