A380 or 777-300ER on 14hr flight

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

• Solly747
    Participant

Hi all,
    First time poster here.
    I’m planning a family holiday from Adelaide to LAX. I basically have 2 choices in aircaraft that I can choose. As follows:
    1. Qantas A380
    2. Air New Zealand 777-300ER
    Qantas is going to add $1,000 to our total cost.

My question is, is the $1,000 worth it in the way of economy seating comfort?

Thanks John

Swissdiver
    Participant

Beyond the plane, I would consider the product, particularly the seat…
    Quantas A380: Pitch: 31, Width: 17.5
    Air NZ B777: Pitch: 32-33, Width: 17.1

I would favour legroom over width, especially because a free seat in the raw would compensate. So for me, I would save $1000 and fly with Air NZ… In addition, this would reduce the transpacific time (about 4 + 11 hours via Auckland (slightly longer on the way back).

capetonianm
    Participant

I wouldn’t hesitate. NZ.

paulkaz
    Participant

Just to add a couple of options you could go QF or VA via Brisbane. That would be a more direct route and get the QF 787/9. Also avoids the tedious Sydney domestic to international terminal. A longer trip could be CX via Hong Kong.I dont know the fare difference but their Y is renowned.

mkcol74
    Participant

@Solly747-2 Having gone onto Seat Guru to check out the different layouts on the Qantas A380 and the Air New Zealand 777 I think I’d still be inclined to go for the A380 option.

I would however be interested to know the timings of the flights each way, as that’s often a significant decider for me.

OT: I’d never noticed how capacious the upper deck rear galley on the QF layout is. Seems larger than eg: BA or SQ

AircraftLover
    Participant

Sometimes Airlines, change the aircraft type in the last minute, due to many different reasons

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=919466] @solly747-2 Having gone onto Seat Guru to check out the different layouts on the Qantas A380 and the Air New Zealand 777 I think I’d still be inclined to go for the A380 option.[/quote]

The numbers I quoted above are SeatGuru’s… Qantas A380’s seat pitch is ridiculous for a 14 hours flight!

Solly747
    Participant

[quote quote=919465]Just to add a couple of options you could go QF or VA via Brisbane.[/quote]

Wouldn’t you still be going from domestic to international if you go this way?

[quote quote=919474]Sometimes Airlines, change the aircraft type in the last minute, due to many different reasons[/quote]

So in that case I would be losing my $1,000 that I would’ve paid extra??

PlaneLover
    Participant

Really, between a 380 or 777, there’s little to choose as both are huge aircrafts. The 380 offers a lot more space to walk about… but on the whole, for comfort levels, both are quite good in my experience.

MarkivJ
    Participant

If air NZ economy is 3-3-3 on their 77Ws, then a 77W any day!

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=919486]If air NZ economy is 3-3-3 on their 77Ws, then a 77W any day![/quote]

@MarkivJ
    Check the link I put above. NZ’s 777 is 3-4-3.

@Swissdiver
    Yep I saw that’s the same figures, I’m not disputing it. Remember different horses for courses, I’m sure we both know why we would prefer the opposite option to each other.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=919486]If air NZ economy is 3-3-3 on their 77Ws, then a 77W any day![/quote]

Nice “if”, but those seats are narrow precisely because of the 10th one… That said, we have to compare apples with apples. Quantas option means a longer transpacific flight and a more complicated connection it seams. So the NZ option seems to be the best on all count but the seat width.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=919487]

@Swissdiver Yep I saw that’s the same figures, I’m not disputing it. Remember different horses for courses, I’m sure we both know why we would prefer the opposite option to each other.[/quote]

Would agree only if it was just about the plane. But as my previous post reads, it is more than just an aircraft choice. The NZ option is better in my view, mostly because of the bigger legroom and shorter transpacific flight.

Solly747
    Participant

[quote quote=919488]So the NZ option seems to be the best on all count but the seat width.[/quote]

Is there a noticeable difference?

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=919496]

So the NZ option seems to be the best on all count but the seat width.

Is there a noticeable difference?[/quote]

2 inches extra legroom, 2 hours shorter transpacific flight (yes, with a longer first leg), easier transfer, $1000 saved. Looks noticeable to me!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls