A380 or 777-300ER on 14hr flight

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

• paulkaz
    Participant

Solly 747 sorry I wasn’t precise.Yes both flighs via Syd or Bne are domestic to international.Your bags will be checked thru.Many dislike the bus transfer from terminal 3 QF domestic in Syd to terminal 1 international. The bus or airtrain transfer in Bne is more popular.
    The transfer in Akl is a simple same terminal international to international walk.
    VA may have competitive fares as their pacific routes struggle at the moment.
    QF have a double status credit offer for bookings by 22-feb travel by 31-aug if relevant. Probably not worth $1000 all else being in favour of NZ.

Solly747
    Participant

I think I’ll go NZ. I do like the fact it has a longer stop-over and that we’ll already be in the international terminal. With an hour and 15 between flights (domestic to international), knowing my luck we’ll miss the flight, especially with 3 kids with us.

1 user thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Another consideration could be if a QF FF loyalty member, the points/miles you would get for such a long sector, surely not insubstantial? On aircraft I would prefer the A380- especially if you can get on the upper deck. If it was a 787 I would totally avoid it..

Re NZ, although they have 3-4-3 seating on 777-300, I hear the service food and drinks are superb.

Let us know your decision and findings!

lostantipod
    Participant

@Planelover – Seriously, have you ever been on either plane? If the price were the same I would take the A380 every time – it’s quieter inside, the ride is smoother, the cabin atmospheric pressure is higher , all leading to a more comfortable flight. I would probably check the seat dimensions as 10 across is a bit cramped. I often leave a 777 after a long sector with a headache – but maybe that’s just old age! But $1000 buys a lot of nurofen…. so I am not suggesting the OP pay the difference to be on an a380.

As for the a380 size meaning there is more room to walk around….really? You think the a380 designers deliberately planned for more vacant space than necessary? It’s not a flying gymnasium. Especially on a 14 hour flight when people are sleeping and the cabin is dark. but you know that ….don’t you?

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Not exactly applicable to the OP, I know, but next month I’m flying Thai Airways between Heathrow & Bangkok – out on the A380 and back on the 777-300, both in economy. I’ve not flown with Thai for ages so curious as to what they, and the differing equipment, will be like.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=920082] @planelover – Seriously, have you ever been on either plane? If the price were the same I would take the A380 every time – it’s quieter inside, the ride is smoother, the cabin atmospheric pressure is higher , all leading to a more comfortable flight. I would probably check the seat dimensions as 10 across is a bit cramped. I often leave a 777 after a long sector with a headache – but maybe that’s just old age! But $1000 buys a lot of nurofen…. so I am not suggesting the OP pay the difference to be on an a380.

As for the a380 size meaning there is more room to walk around….really? You think the a380 designers deliberately planned for more vacant space than necessary? It’s not a flying gymnasium. Especially on a 14 hour flight when people are sleeping and the cabin is dark. but you know that ….don’t you?[/quote]

Subjectively, I fully disagree. The A380 is rubbish for many reasons I don’t need to repeat here. Objectively, thankfully the lorry will soon be out, excepted unfortunately on some routes for a limited period of time.

That said, as you suggest, this is only marginally the OP question. And for all the reasons mentioned on this thread, the OP will be fortunate enough to fly a real airplane for a shorter period of time.

PlaneLover
    Participant

@Swissdiver yes ive done both 380 and 777 on 12-16+ hr flights… also on 4-8 hr ones… i maintain there’s very little to choose between the two… but i also do maintain that the 380 seems bigger, and more airy, with enough space to walk about. that’s what i have seen. if a sector does both 777 and 380 like Glasgow for eg. i’d prefer the 380 more.
    i also have to point out that the EK 380 is definitely a lot better than the QF 380… and i think its space management

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=920097]Subjectively, I fully disagree. The A380 is rubbish for many reasons I don’t need to repeat here. Objectively, thankfully the lorry will soon be out, excepted unfortunately on some routes for a limited period of time.

That said, as you suggest, this is only marginally the OP question. And for all the reasons mentioned on this thread, the OP will be fortunate enough to fly a real airplane for a shorter period of time.[/quote]

Swissdiver, your antipathy to the A380 is well documented. However, I hope you can understand that many people – myself included – do like it. It’s (much) quieter than the B777. It has (IMHO, and I think many others will agree) a smoother ride than the B777. It feels more spacious than the B777. It has better air quality. The windows are bigger. In fact, from the passenger perspective (leaving aside individual airline configurations for the interior), I am struggling to find why you would think the B777 is better. Yes, the A380 takes longer to board, and disembark, and luggage may take longer. Those will amount, in most cases, to less than an hour of a passenger’s time – probably much less. I would trade those for a better onboard experience – lasting many hours – in a heartbeat.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Solly747
    Participant

Thanks guys for your replies,
    I won’t be booking the flights for at least a couple more months, for departure on 6th September.
    If the same flights are still available then, I will probably go for the NZ 777 flight. Sounds like the 380 might be a bit better (roomier to move around), but no one is really bagging the 777 either, so it can’t be that bad by the sounds.

CS KOK
    Participant

10 across A380 is definitely better than 10 across B777

Solly747
    Participant

There is also another way of looking at it I guess. Rumour has it that they will stop producing the A380 because they’re not making money, meaning that the flights are not full. If you’re on an A380 and there are spare seats, or a spare row, asking nicely might get you a seat with no one next to you, meaning more room. Am I dreaming or is that a possibility in your opinion?

Swissdiver
    Participant

@PlaneLover and Ian: Let’s agree to disagree on the aircraft. That said, there were other points:
    – travel time. In the case of the OP, the transpacific flight will be shorter by about 3 hours, which is an important factor.
    – seat pitch: 2in difference
    – price: $1000 extra

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=920179]There is also another way of looking at it I guess. Rumour has it that they will stop producing the A380 because they’re not making money, meaning that the flights are not full. If you’re on an A380 and there are spare seats, or a spare row, asking nicely might get you a seat with no one next to you, meaning more room. Am I dreaming or is that a possibility in your opinion?[/quote]

You are right about the profitability. Regarding the load factor though, it has to be a route by route analysis, combined with the travelling dates. That said, Quantas A380 has 484 seats while NZ B777-300ER has 342 (source: Wikipedia). It is a 30% difference, but in a way only 30%.

Concorde Ray
    Participant

Solly,

I would recommend sticking with the QF 380 option, as their mini-premium cabin on upper deck is awfully nice and quiet.

Solly747
    Participant

Mini premium cabin? We’re flying economy class. I doubt economy passengers would be allowed anywhere near the bars

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls