A Smoker’s Guide to Airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

• millionsofmiles
    Participant

I just remember: In ChiangMai CNX landside there is a small smoking cafe opposite to the check-in desks in the International Departure Hall. Also, there is an airside smoking chamber in the international departure gates area at the end of the hall, beside a small shop.

DUS: Departue area B, on level 1 and 2, opened late summer.

Happy smoking…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@all of you smokers who feel my posts were irrlevant to the thread.

The intial comment was that I must be suffering from ….

“a tough day, have we? Seems like you’ve had a very uncharacteristic sense of humour bypass today”

This is an open forum and without a moderator or rules, (except for politeness and factual posts)
    I do not believe there are any restrictions on replies to posts. I really cant understand why you all get hissy about someone posting in a factual manner why smoking should not be allowed anywhere near an airport.

By all means smokers, smoke – cancer is incurable and it is up to you how you abuse your body. But you can not take such a serious subject and beleive the thread/question would go without comments that you may not agree with.

Perhaps if you held the hand of someone close (a parent) who was taking their last breath and then died as as direct casue of smoking you would all understand. Yes I am being dramatic, because the effect of smoking deprived me of a father at a very young age – so please posters, by all means take a decision to kill your self, but do so without casuing others to suffer.

I would actively encourage all airports to have a smoking room, preferably somewhere close to the long term parking area which needs a bus ride away from the terminal – in fact, a bus that goes from terminal to terminal for smokers only would solve the problem.

I hope airport authorities as well as the NHS hospitals, ban smoking within 100 yards of all buildings. If any of you continue to be offended by the manner of my posts – well, at least you understand why I am I feel the way I do!

Have a great and refreshing week everyone.

JordanD
    Participant

At the risk of bringing the topic back to the OP and not getting involved in the smoking debate (declaration of interest: I don’t smoke):

HKG: on my last visit there (Sept 09), had a multitiude of smoking rooms dotted all the way throughout the body of the terminal.

AKL/CHC: none.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Damascus (DAM): cabin on the first floor, among the souk-style booths selling carpets and metalwork (the duty free is up an escalator on the second floor).

Great thread Simon – I think it may make a piece in the magazine.

Kaicat75
    Participant

JFK – don’t know of any offically but i have never found a problem finding staff who wil take you out the back way to where they smoke….

(doesn’t say much about their security though)

starflyer
    Participant

IAD: smoking rooms in B, C and D gate areas. The one in the C area is opposite the UA International First Class lounge.

PatJordan
    Participant

Martyn,

I haven’t been posting on this site very long, but I’ve come to regard BT forum as a group of friends.

Your posts are always well informed and well written and I always enjoy them. The day any of us feel we can’t speak freely (especially from the heart) will be a sad day for the forum.

Keep posting, Martyn.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Indeed, PJ, I agree.

Martyn can, of course, post what he wants, as long as he doesn’t mind me teasing him about his sense of humour. Having said that, I fully respect that it’s a subject very close to his heart.

You may recall that in my initial post, I suggested that such a guide might also help non-smokers to be able to avoid us!

Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi PJ – thank you for your kind words. I will always post my thoughts, from the heart or otherwise. There are certain posters whose words I accept more than others, mainly those who use real names.

As Simon pointed out the subject is close to my heart and a subject heading of “A Smokers Guide to Airport’s” should provide both sides, i.e. PASSIVE SMOKING KILLS!

If BT is going ot be truly adventurous, as indicated above, they should include in any possible article details of where you can smoke “weed” as this is also a legal form if smoking in some quarters and probably safer.

Flytoomuch
    Participant

KLIA – smoking room on the upper level of the satellite building, where most of the lounges are. It’s changed around a few times, but last time I checked, it was the only smoking area in the airport (none in the domestic main building once airside.

Singapore/Changi – best facilities (as expected). Usually two in each of the three main terminals (somewhat interrupted by ongoing renovation works).

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Quite a coverline ‘ “Top 10 spots for smoking weed”. I was thinking of something similar for cigars, but will now reconsider.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m a cigar smoker myself. Used to smoke cigarettes then migrated, but I do not inhale, so that makes it alright! Seems to be safer than ciggies as it does not impact on my life insurance.

Just a small correction Simon, the First class lounge at FRA does have a smoking section. A lounge within a lounge. At the risk of being arrested, I have the ashtrays to prove it!!!

george.sr84
    Participant

Because of my job I can’t even count the number of miles I fly each year. As a two pack a day smoker flying is the pain of my life, I always ask for a balcony seat or a seat on the smoking flight neither of which they can give me.
    The worst is delays, I can’t even leave the airport, many a time I have been in and out of security in search of the smoking area balancing a coffee, luggage and cigarette poised. One time I was refused exit, I screamed blue bloody murder shouting that I wasn’t a prisoner and I was being held against my will.

My best flight ever was quite a few years ago now on Cuban air, they actually came around with free cigars to have with the free Rum.

On the occasions that I have found the smoking room it’s almost impossible to see inside because there is no ventilation, why can’t they fix an extractor fan.

Potakas
    Participant

George,
    You shouldn’t speak like this for everyone here, also i assume it is not welcome your post form all of us.

I am also a two pack per day smoker but i never smoke on places that it is not permitted, it’s about to respect the others around you and i can’t imagine how you dare to smoke on board, hiding in toilets and do staff like that.

The things that Martyn said are correct and you are wrong.

It is a shame that you speak like this for him, but i think it is not something that we couldn’t expect from someone who acts like a child and finds ways in order to hide and smoke…

Potakas

george.sr84
    Participant

Potakas:
    I guess it’s not a problem for you on your one flight to Majorca each year.
    Try being a smoker and spending hours and hours hanging about in airports every week, then come back to me and tell me again that I’m wrong….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls