A Smoker’s Guide to Airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Folks, please don’t let’s fall out over this. I posted the thread partly as a humorous topic and partly as a genuine information exchange for smokers.

I knew that there was risk that non-smokers would take issue with it (almost certainly ex-smokers, and they seem more evangelistic than those who’ve never smoked). Just for the record, I agree 100% with the pub and restaurant smoking ban as I’ve never believed that non-smokers should inhale our muck. However, this thread is about accepting that situation and pointing out to other addicts at which airports we can or cannot indulge our (acceptedly) filthy habit. No-one forces non-smokers to come to these areas. Indeed, I cannot think of any airport off the top of my head where there is a general permission to smoke – it is always in a designated (and usually glass-walled or otherwise closed) area, to protect (rightly) non-smokers, even where smoking is allowed adjacent to a bar.

The only semi-exceptions to this are Tbilisi, where the business lounge terrace is a group of seats on the mezzanine and Helsinki, where the area by the Schengen reclaim is not wholly walled-in.

Martyn – I will email you.

FCW – if it’s an A330, then it may well be the new product (check the seating plan); if it’s a A340, then probably not. It seems that the A340 fit is going more slowly than they originally anticipated.

Starflyer – I’ve just checked the website and it seems that smoking is no longer permitted. However, CPH is one of the few airports where it is comparatively easy to go outside for a smoke. If you go through the arrivals hall and customs, you can smoke outside, to the right of the ticket desk for Danish Railways. You obviously have to go through security on the way back, but that’s generally not too bad at CPH (unless anyone has more recent info – I’ve not used CPH since January).

Cheers, Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@millionsofmiles and Inquisitive – unlike drinking and fast food outets, smokers do have an effect on non smokers – its called passive smoking and if you are in any doubt walk down any high street or pass any building and you can not help but walk into a cloud of cancer ridden smoke.

Am I on a mission – absolutely I am. By all means go and smoke I am pleased to hear that you enjoy it. However, just becasue you like the effects doesnt mean that those around you have to suffer as well.

The title of the thread is “A Smokers Guide to Airports” – I agree that smokers should be allowed to enjoy their habit, but not when the non smoking fraternity have to suffer the effects of the smell and the effects.

Your comparison to Chrisitan missionaries in the jungles is interesting, becasue in my mind that is the best place for smokers, well away from the general public.

When you have seen first hand the effects of cancer casued by smoking, including a facial features eaten away, bodies being torn apart internaly and externally, maybe the smokers among you will treat us non smokers a little kinder and ensure that we do not have to suffer from your “enjoyable” habit.

By all means smoke, just find a place away from the non smokers.

Thank you and Amen!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Martyn – fair points, well made. I actually don’t think many smokers would wish to pollute the air of those who don’t.

One reason I support the ban is pure self-interest as well – it has cut my smoking my at least a third. What would help, though is consistency in law. For example, Austria and Germany have thresholds in terms of bar floorspace at which a ban comes into force (70 m2 seems common). Finland had a transition period, which meant that you could smoke in some bars (irrespective of size – the bar that is, not the customer) but not in others, even though they were ostensibly very similar – some owners embraced the ban at the outset; others didn’t.

Croatia was an odd one. On my first visit, one couldn’t smoke in bars etc. On my second visit, one could, because the ban had been over turned because of its unpopularity. When I went back this year, one couldn’t smoke, because the ban had been reintroduced…..

I had never been to Switzerland until about 5 years ago. Of all countries, I expected them to have a blanket ban. However, until this year you could wander through Basel Railway Station with a cigarette on. Indeed, you can still smoke on railway station platforms there, covered or not. Consistency across the EU and EEA would be helpful!

Starflyer – I was amazed by your revelation about DUB. I remember that they used to (and may well still do) have a big “No smoking” symbol painted on the ground outside the main doors to Terminal 1. This was at least 2 metres square. However, there was a large metal ashtray provided at the exact centre of this symbol…..

Going to Bosnia this year reminded me how things were until recently. One could smoke everywhere, without restriction. It was pretty horrible, I must admit, especially in places like lifts, toilets and hotel lobbies. My son, in particular, hated it as he (at the age of 11) is an absolutely passionate anti-smoker. Ironically, you couldn’t smoke at Sarajevo Airport, apart from outside.

And one correction to my list – at Baku you can’t smoke when departing but, for some reason, you can in the arrivals hall. However, the Azeri idea of segregation seems to be to tape no-smoking signs to a few pillars in the arrivals area and let you smoke everywhere else in the room, which must be unpleasant for those who don’t smoke.

Simon

PatJordan
    Participant

Martyn,

you made some very profound points, and no doubt got us thinking.

I am lucky in that I only smoke an occasional cigar, but do not like to inflict it on others.

In an ideal world there would be enclosed areas with air extractors (in deference to those who have to work there). However, as we all know the world if far from ideal! But its the only one we have so lets make the best of it.

Potakas
    Participant

FirstClassWannabe, when was the last time you’ve been in Aegean’s lounge at ATH?

Because since October in Greece we have total ban of smoking on all public buildings and i believe that they don’t allow it as i said from my experience on SkyTeams’s lounge.

Regards,
    Potakas

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Agreed PJ.

I think you make a very important point about the fact that smoking bans are intended to protect the workforce, NOT the smoker!

Regards, Simon

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

Hi Potakas, I was in the Aegean lounge at ATH last week on 20/11. It was as always, with the separate smoking room. I noticed the smoking ban had come into effect in other places but still seems ok in ATH, but not SKG.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am in fact against a total ban on smoking simply because when there is a ban, smokers all congregate at nearest door to the open air. Outside T3 at LHR is one example and the entrance to any NHS hospital is another example – where non smokers just can not avoid the effects and smell of the cancer sticks.

Smokers should have the right to smoke – in places well away from the non smokers. Smoking only pubs with sealed doors to keep the smoke in, will stop smokers congregating by pub doors. Smoking only restaurents, will stop the increase of the open air sidewalk smoking pits.

By all means smokers smoke, just do it where the non smokers or worst still holier than thou reformed smokers and children, dont have to suffer as part of your enjoyment. The inside of airport terminals are totally unsuited for smoking.

starflyer
    Participant

And there was me thinking we could just have a thread as the OP intended: list of smoking facilities at airports, nothing more, nothing less, but alas no, we get the well rehearsed “for” and “against” smoking debate. Talk about flogging a dead horse (no pun intended).

Bringing it back to topic: CLT: the US *G lounge has a separate huge room with excellent views of the apron, one of my favourites.

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

I think there is still a smoking area in MIA at concourse D.

northseatiger
    Participant

DXB – several smoking chambers, as well as a couple of restaurants on the 2nd floor and the Irish Village pub.

Manila – Cafeteria next door to the priority pass lounge.

Singapore – Excellent outside roof top bar, a couple of chambers scattered throughout the airport and a single bar inside.

HKT – Irish pub tucked away in the corner – pre security.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Happy Sunday Starflyer – and there was me thinking this was an open forum!

mkaerouk
    Participant

EMA – the only UK airport I have experienced in the last 2 years with an airside smoking area… Walk to the far end of the departure gates and take a left just beyond the main bar area.. Ok it’s basically a caged off area outside but for those desperate for a pre-flight nicotine hit it is invaluable..

Potakas
    Participant

Martyn the forum is open indeed,

Starflyer criticised your posts as irrelevant and nothing more …

It was you saying: “There’s always one going agaisnt the thread – and this time its me!”

So, as you said, this is an open forum and you have to accept it.

P.S. I agree with most of those you said above but i really don’t think that we have to discuss it here, maybe if you want you can start a new topic about smoking in public buildings, airports…

Regards

Potakas

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I’m with you on that, Potakas. I actually agree with the principle of much of what Martyn says. However, as the OP, my intent was to exchange info with the few of us who smoke and to be mildly irreverent as well – it’s not intended to be a thread on the ills of smoking (nor, indeed, the pleasures thereof!).

In the same way that non-smokers are not forced into the “smoking chambers” (I loved that description, northseaflyer!), neither are they forced to contribute to this thread.

Regards to all, smoker or not,

Simon

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls