A giggle in BA First

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

• openfly
    Participant

@BAGoldcard. Sadly, these days I have found that writing via BA.com is fruitless. Comments go to a third party in the sub-continent and all you get is a standard reply not associated to the complaint…..sorry we lost your bag!!

But, writing to Keith Williams usually produces a satisfactory related reply, after a while. This I did in this instance.

BAGoldcard
    Participant

Thanks openfly.

Please let us know what response you get in due course.

Travelcruiser
    Participant

I was on route to SFO in First a few weeks ago with legacy crew. Smiling, courteous, service impeccable from all. Ended up having a chat with one of the crew in the galley. Been with BA for thirty years, was now part time and says she loved her job and wouldn’t give it up. We spoke about the difference in service quality between mixed fleet and legacy and she sympathised saying they hear it often. In their opinion the fleets should be mixed. She said this way we would get to work with some new young faces and they would get to learn from people with experience. She says it’s the only way and hopes BA would consider it going forward.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

One problem I think is that many young crew may not have experienced “silver service” themselves. So they don’t instinctively know what is right and what is odd.

This is a huge problem in China, where young people are joining the hospitality business – hotel staff and the like – without themselves ever having been on the customer side of their industry. One hotel I used to frequent in Beijing solved this by sending their staff – on full expenses – to stay at competitors’ hotels. The manager I was talking to explained that having done so, they came back with a totally different perspective – for example they got a good idea of the difference between attentive service and over-attentive service. And they also got to see how other hotels performed.

But I have not heard others do it.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Interesting comment Travelcruiser, and I always wonder why in large company’s management do not do the obvious?

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

Can we drop the tiresome remarks regarding the hat. Mixed Fleet are looked down upon by the majority of legacy crew and some contributors are adding to that by making fun of them. They have to do what the company tells them to so have no choice but to wear the uniform as per the rules. Regarding the service issues, they are new and have to learn and in time will improve. Was everyone on the forum expert at their job from the first day onwards or did need time and improve with experience?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ FirstClassWannabe – 18/12/2014 10:59 GMT

Fine. But you ought also to concede that the hat issue is yet another unnecessary distinction between the various crew groups that BA “management” has decided to put in place. It is also a distraction from improving BA’s in-flight service which, judging by sundry postings and the comments from RFerguson (no performance assessments and/or interaction with line management for years….!), has some rather more fundamental issues that need addressing. Personally, the odd smile from CC really would not hurt every now and again

handbag
    Participant

FirstClassWannabe – Mixed Fleet are looked down upon by the majority of legacy crew

Are you BA Cabin Crew? If you are, then I am very surprised that this is the vibe that you get from the Crew you work with.

I am Legacy Crew and I do not believe this statement to be correct at all. Personally the main feeling I have towards mixed Fleet Crew is – Sympathy.

When I joined, I was lucky to have plenty of more experienced Crew to help and guide me. I was one Crew member amongst many other experienced Crew. I was not put into situations that I was not ready for. I was Crew for many years , before I worked in First. Training is not just a few weeks in the training school, but gained through experience in the job, watching and learning from others. It is difficult to learn when so many are inexperienced.

I worked hard, but did not feel fatigued by the hours.

I did not have to consider leaving, as I did not earn enough to apply for a mortgage.

I did not feel that I was a pawn within the Company.

I felt I had a career and that the Company wanted me to stay and valued experience.

Many Mixed Fleet Crew are friends and family of Legacy Crew. Do I wish they had a better deal – yes. Am I glad that I joined 30 years ago and not now – yes. Would I ever look down on them NO, they are just young people following the same dream that I had.

Ramraideruk
    Participant

I hope you didn’t demand that the plane be sent back to the stand and the member of staff removed from the plane. ๐Ÿ˜‰

canucklad
    Participant

Nice post handbag ,everyone who takes time to get out of bed and work regardless of T&Cโ€™s or lack of immediately has my respect.

It should remind us all that ,most of us that comment on this forum are probably very happy with their lot, I for example can pause in my busy schedule to reply to excellent points. I work for an excellent, well respected and admired company, which treats us all with dignity and equality regardless of position.

In fact, our customer facing colleagues are without doubt the most valued employees within the organization.

If a company deliberately sets up divisions within a workforce, especially a blue chip company , then one can only assume that the management of that company have selected that policy with a specific end goal in mind. And normally that objective is kept a boardroom secret to avoid embarrassment or ridicule, until the aim has been achieved. Iโ€™m glad I donโ€™t work for such a company.

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

@AnthonyDunn – I find the CC do smile quite a lot and I like flying BA. I agree there things that could be improved, both with mixed and legacy.

@handbag – No I am not cabin crew but like most of us I do not like it when people being belittled. I have heard mixed being referred to as space cadets etc. It was a mixed cc who told me they knew they were looked down on. I am really pleased to hear your comments and how you feel about mixed, that is good.

When you stared you had others to guide you. If a new mixed crew member commences work, their first flight will be with other, now experienced mixed fleet correct? Then they will have others to guide them. They may not work with someone who has 20 years experience but at least they will be guided through the basics. The main thing is that they will be able to handle an emergency and you make it clear they will.

First Class should have more experienced staff or staff who can provide the level of service required, but I have been on an Emirates flight in First and the young cc would have been more suited to a holiday charter flight so I wish everyone would stop talking as if it is just BA.

I get tired of hearing how hard cabin crew work. I work really hard as well!

“Do I wish they had a better deal – yes. Am I glad that I joined 30 years ago and not now – yes”

You were very lucky in joining BA when you did and have conditions that others in service type jobs could only dream about, and good for you. However, things have changed in the aviation business thus employment conditions must also change so Mixed fleet won’ t get a better deal. Saying that I am sure they have acceptable conditions in today’ s climate, just not as good as legacy crew.

handbag
    Participant

I do realise that I am lucky to join BA when I did (British Caledonian before we were taken over).

I also accept that times have changed and so must the pay and conditions. There are many Crew even on Legacy Fleet on different pay scales depending on when they joined. Those on the new contract (about 15 years old now) that do not benefit from the same pay scale that I receive. This has been an ongoing thing for many years.

The main thing is that anyone should be able to handle an emergency. I would say that without exception, Business Travellers rightly require much more than that and the reason they fly with BA is because they would expect to receive it. I do not think inexperienced Crew in First Class is acceptable, regardless of what other airlines are doing. I want us to be admired for the Service that we provide. I want to be proud of the Company that I work for. It may be amusing, when certain things happen and I am sure we have all had a giggle when someone has done something, incorrect, wrong, funny etc. I will be much more proud if people were wowed by the service of both Mixed and Legacy.

I am pleased to say , that I believe that Mixed Fleets conditions have been gradually improving (increase in wages , days off) and I hope they continue to do so.

I have enjoyed the banter, but not around now for a while ๐Ÿ™‚

KarlMarx
    Participant

There is an old adage that you get what you pay for.

Two thoughts – BA’s economy cabin is very good value (short or long haul.)

BA’s premium cabins are less so, especially short haul.

I’ve just finished three months of regular use of Swiss short haul, driven initially by the reduction on seat pitch in Club Europe, but I have to say to has been a revelation, with the consistenly good/smooth cabin service. I won’t be coming back unless my employeer changes the travel policy and mandates BA only.

I’d still consider BA economy for leisure, though.

LadyLlondon
    Participant

I agree KarlMarx. When it’s got to work week in week out and you don’t want to think about it or react to variations then Swiss is a very good bet.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

All the stuff about hats reminds me of the old days when I was a very junior doctor and nurses’ uniforms always included a hat. One long dark night in Addenbrooke’s Hospital I was nattering away to the nurse on our ward, and in the spirit of relaxation, she had taken her hat off.

Around comes a dragon of a night sister who said “Nurse! A nurse without her hat might as well be a nurse wearing nothing at all!”

This did not have the effect that night sister wanted. Quite the reverse…..

Ah, the semiotics of hats.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls